Bar etiquette rant

Blue Doughnut

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Blue Doughnut
I got it, I may be exceeding my allotment of "new guy" rants, but I'm on the road this week for work and have nothing else to fill my evenings with beyond PoA, so here we go...

Sitting in World of Beer or some other completely forgettable place with a million "micro" (but really InBev-owned) brews on tap. Marveling at the many slow motion trainwrecks unfolding on PoA, minding my own, basically having a fine time.

Then it starts. The sound of someone mashing a boot in mud- which is weird because we're in a World of Beer where there is no mud, and no reason to wear boots. I look over and my neighbor is trying his best to suck the last remaining ligaments of meat off of a severed bird leg. Eat whatever you want, but you just hit my radar with your ridiculous eating habits. Then he slurps his beer. Who the F slurps a beer?! If we start allowing that, the terrorists win.

Are parents not policing this up these days?? I literally spend months each year in the poorest bits of Africa and I have not encountered eating habits like those of some people I run into over here. How hard is it? I mean, if only your mouth was equipped with a couple flaps to contain the noise and animal parts from escaping while being gnawed upon to he disgust of those around you (or at least me anyway). Imagine the possibilities...

The same goes for the audible gum crowd. Is it necessary for us ALL to revel in the sound of you gnawing on a cud wad??

Expanding on that, what is it about airports that necessitate an obscene amount of gum chewing?? I lump this into the idea that all civility goes out of the window when people travel by air these days. I'm not United, I'm not the fashion police, but I'm also not going to wear a onesie (sp?) complete with litttle plastic-bottom footsies out of the house. When the h#ll did it become aprorpiate to wear pajamas out of the house, let alone to an airport, on an airplane, to an entirely different city? Anyway, thanks to that group, I now wear noise cancelling headsets throughout virtually every phase of the commercial air travel experience.

I got it. I seem to remember someone else getting torched recently for airing some annoyances as he was getting older and changing perspectives. I'm just a little bummed that while I'm expected to mind my own business and not impose upon others, everyone else gets a blank check as long as enough people are similarly revolting/rude.

I also think the fact that this guy keeps putting his hand within arm-hair distance of my arm at the bar is compounding the offense and my frustration. That, and he keeps distracting the bartender with comic book trivia and fan fiction about how Bruce Willace's character in Die Hard 1 is linked to his character in Broken where Samuel L Jackson was some kind of defunct, brittle villain guy. FML. I need the bar tender freed up to get me another beer so I can content myself with something other than my disdain for your garbage chinstrap beard and Hitler haircut.

Aaaand just as I was about to say "rant complete", it's now apparently "limoncello shot" time for my millenial bar neighbor and his androgynous friends.

Could be worse. I guess I could be eating Costco hotdogs....

Edited: so many typos!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sticking with it to the Costco plug!! Honestly, I'd rather be eatingcostco dogs with vodka right now. I think @Sac Arrow has it figured out.

I envision a world where it's okay to karate chop one person per fiscal quarter in the throat. You get one freebee. I don't know how it's regulated, maybe a voucher system.

I think that would help wrangle some of the regression our society is allowing itself.

it's called 'misophonia' and I have it and people need to learn some freakin manners or shut the uckfey up.

IMG_0328.JPG
You are in a bar. Enough said.

Funny thing is, I'm NOT in a bar. Because if I was in a bar, this amateur hour garbage wouldn't be entertained. Lemoncello shots and comic book debates...

Edited to clarify: not in anything that qualifies as a real bar. The sarcasm didn't translate well.

Last edited:
it's called 'misophonia' and I have it and people need to learn some freakin manners or shut the uckfey up.

That's what the savages have labeled it to make US feel like the afflicted ones...

Think about that logic. We aren't the ones producing a ridiculous amount of noise when we eat. They make the commotion then accuse us of some disorder for not enjoying having our bubble interfered with.

I propose Misophoniacs start deploying a bunch of second-day Thai-hot curry farts in elevators then assign a derogatory-sounding condition to anyone who dislikes it.

Last edited:

I warned my wife in the days I had to commute by train that one day she was going to get a call from me in jail after that one last gum chewer (or nail clipper) finally put me over the edge. CLOSE YOUR MOUTH AND STOP CLIPPING YOUR NAILS SITTING NEXT TO ME!

Edit: for my flavor of misophonia, I am fine as long as I am eating something too. Or even slowly sipping a tasty beverage. Odd huh?

Last edited:
I got it, I may be exceeding my allotment of "new guy" rants, but I'm on the road this week for work and have nothing else to fill my evenings with beyond PoA, so here we go...

Sitting in World of Beer or some other completely forgettable place with a million "micro" (but really InBev-owned) brews on tap. Marveling at the many slow motion trainwrecks unfolding on PoA, minding my own, basically having a fine time.

Then it starts. The sound of someone mashing a boot in mud- which is weird because we're in a World of Beer where there is no mud, and no reason to wear boots. I look over and my neighbor is trying his best to suck the last remaining ligaments of meat off of a severed bird leg. Eat whatever you want, but you just hit my radar with your ridiculous eating habits. Then he slurps his beer. Who the F slurps a beer?! If we start allowing that, the terrorists win.

Are parents not policing this up these days?? I literally spend months each year in the poorest bits of Africa and I have not encountered eating habits like those of some people I run into over here. How hard is it? I mean, if only your mouth was equipped with a couple flaps to contain the noise and animal parts from escaping while being gnawed upon to he disgust of those around you (or at least me anyway). Imagine the possibilities...

The same goes for the audible gum crowd. Is it necessary for us ALL to revel in the sound of you gnawing on a cud wad??

Expanding on that, what is it about airports that necessitate an obscene amount of gum chewing?? I lump this into the idea that all civility goes out of the window when people travel by air these days. I'm not United, I'm not the fashion police, but I'm also not going to wear a onesie (sp?) complete with litttle plastic-bottom footsies out of the house. When the h#ll did it become aprorpiate to wear pajamas out of the house, let alone to an airport, on an airplane, to an entirely different city? Anyway, thanks to that group, I now wear noise cancelling headsets throughout virtually every phase of the commercial air travel experience.

I got it. I seem to remember someone else getting torched recently for airing some annoyances as he was getting older and changing perspectives. I'm just a little bummed that while I'm expected to mind my own business and not impose upon others, everyone else gets a blank check as long as enough people are similarly revolting/rude.

I also think the fact that this guy keeps putting his hand within arm-hair distance of my arm at the bar is compounding the offense and my frustration. That, and he keeps distracting the bartender with comic book trivia and fan fiction about how Bruce Willace's character in Die Hard 1 is linked to his character in Broken where Samuel L Jackson was some kind of defunct, brittle villain guy. FML. I need the bar tender freed up to get me another beer so I can content myself with something other than my disdain for your garbage chinstrap beard and Hitler haircut.

Aaaand just as I was about to say "rant complete", it's now apparently "limoncello shot" time for my millenial bar neighbor and his androgynous friends.

Could be worse. I guess I could be eating Costco hotdogs....

Edited: so many typos!!
Cirriusly. U aktchwally eduted that for typeoes?

Wait... let me get this straight...

You don't like Costco hot dogs? Dayum. What about the chicken bake? Or the BBQ brisket sandwich? Next you'll tell me the pizza isn't worth pairing with beer.:eek:

Oh.. this hurts.:p

But... if you're at the bar with the less table mannered, I would say moving to a quiet table might be best. Seriously. Because it's ALWAYS the quiet guy at the bar that will end up getting 20 questions from someone. And it sounds like you're about 5 minutes away from being offered that Limoncello shot, or be the recipient of the "Die Hard was better than Die Harder" conversation that you didn't know you wanted to talk about.

I spent years doing consulting and living out of bars. (Consultants are all alcoholics that occasionally do consulting.) It's best to buy a few drinks and blend in. The locals accept you a little easier and fly cover for you. Or if you're wanting to be solo, go for the aforementioned quiet table, preferably closest to the exit in case you need to make haste...

That's why I don't go sit in a bar... I can find lots of other things to do. If I am out of town and bored I will go hunt down some airports and check things out. Maybe meet some interesting people. Having a beer in a bar with strangers is something that will never happen. I can't stand being around drunk obnoxious low life people!

More things are open and available to the 'riff raff' these days.

I was in Phoenicia deli last week having a nice lunch with my family. Until, the female next to us started dropping F-bombs and threatening the world because she didn't like the way someone looked at her. The little kids with her weren't fazed by it. In the old days someone would've snatched her up by her collar and threw her out of the place.

More things are open and available to the 'riff raff' these days.

I was in Phoenicia deli last week having a nice lunch with my family. Until, the female next to us started dropping F-bombs and threatening the world because she didn't like the way someone looked at her. The little kids with her weren't fazed by it. In the old days someone would've snatched her up by her collar and threw her out of the place.

eh, my mom is harmless, don't let her bother you.

You're in a bar, you're not in a bar. Which is it?

<---- drinks at home

That's why I don't go sit in a bar... I can find lots of other things to do. If I am out of town and bored I will go hunt down some airports and check things out. Maybe meet some interesting people. Having a beer in a bar with strangers is something that will never happen. I can't stand being around drunk obnoxious low life people!

In fairness, World of Beer is more of a beer-themed restaurant than a bar full of people drinking with a purpose, but I get what you're saying too.

On work travel, you end up finishing the day's meetings around 7, then you're left to catch up on the emails that piled up over the course of the day. You need to eat too, so you typically head down to whatever restaurant ins near the hotel and work and relax down there. One can only watch so much HGTV in an empty hotel room.

I'd MUCH rather be hanging out at the hangar, believe me!

Last edited:
When is Sac Bow and Arrow going to schedule rant training sessions? These amateurish rants are an embarrassment to POA.

Sounds like you're going to the wrong bars.

Ever since the local Chuck E. Cheese instituted a two beer limit, the bar at the Red Lobster next door has been overflowing.

Yeah I know, why would one otherwise go to a Red Lobster, much less to hang out at the bar.

Ever since the local Chuck E. Cheese instituted a two beer limit, the bar at the Red Lobster next door has been overflowing.

I'd love to have heard the backstory that prompted that decision.

I'd love to have heard the backstory that prompted that decision.

I'm going to guess it had to do something with overzealous parents and competitive kids' games. Chuck E. Cheese is the Walmart of arcade restaurants.

Are parents not policing this up these days??
Even funnier is when a dumb young twit yawns like she's gonna swallow a big b***k c**k and doesn't bother to cover her mouth and if you ask her "are you offering a blow job?", all of a sudden YOU are the pervert. *shrug*
:D
Majority of people are pigs with no manners, no good spelling and no common sense, get used to it. It ain't gonna get any better. *thumbsup*

Even funnier is when a dumb young twit yawns like she's gonna swallow a big b***k c**k and doesn't bother to cover her mouth and if you ask her "are you offering a blow job?", all of a sudden YOU are the pervert. *shrug*
:D
Majority of people are pigs with no manners, no good spelling and no common sense, get used to it. It ain't gonna get any better. *thumbsup*

The whole "hey, if you aren't using that mouth for anything else, would you mind..." has not worked for me yet.

Back