Banner Tow lands on a San Diego Beach

Glad there are no major injuries or deaths,hope for a speedy recovery of the pilot.

The title on this one should be 'Banner Tow Lands on a San Diego Beach Again', seems like this happens almost every year anymore. Thankfully no serious injuries.

This SuperCub lives in a hangar near the Yak Cave I think. Wifey and I saw the guy flying around when we were out for brunch.

'Gimp

The Stinson I flew banners with had a siren in the belly for this reason, luckily never needed it.

ABC news had a good video on the landing,plane looked good when flipped right side up,unfortunately the plane struck a young boy ,with the wing tip.hes in serious condition.

Hopefully it wasnt this banner

CIO5D3jUEAAOhhq.jpg

ABC news had a good video on the landing,plane looked good when flipped right side up,unfortunately the plane struck a young boy ,with the wing tip.hes in serious condition.

Yesterday they said he was taken to the hospital for "minor injuries". I hope that wasn't wishful thinking.

He's either real good or real lucky.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day. ;)

I watched a hang glider bail over the beach in the eighties. Guy launched off Torrey Pines. Saw (actually heard) an RC glider loose it, missed a guy by a few inches. Favorite point break was just under the Salk.

He's either real good or real lucky.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day. ;)

Me too! But let's not get carried away . It looks like a super cub and he probably touched down at about 35 mph. He was both good AND lucky. Airplane looks to be easily repaired.

The better you are, the more luck has a chance to help you.;)

No doubt. It is sort of like golf. It takes skill to get that little ball on the green and close to the hole on your tee shot on a par 3, but getting it to drop in for an ace takes a bit of luck.

Ok, maybe not the best analogy but it is kinda sorta almost a wee bit similar maybe? :idea:

No doubt. It is sort of like golf. It takes skill to get that little ball on the green and close to the hole on your tee shot on a par 3, but getting it to drop in for an ace takes a bit of luck.

Ok, maybe not the best analogy but it is kinda sorta almost a wee bit similar maybe? :idea:

Actually it's quite apropos.

I wonder if he slammed on the brakes and nosed over at the end to avoid people or if he just hit a hole or something....

This begs the question: In the event of an engine out over a beach or city, do you plan to aim your plane towards the populated beach or highway?

Hopefully I will never know what my actual choice is, but while I'm hangar flying, I don't plan on landing on a populated beach or anything more than minimal traffic on a roadway. In the back of my mind I think that it was my choice to fly...why should other people have to suffer when my plane goes silent and I can steer it away?

This begs the question: In the event of an engine out over a beach or city, do you plan to aim your plane towards the populated beach or highway?

Hopefully I will never know what my actual choice is, but while I'm hangar flying, I don't plan on landing on a populated beach or anything more than minimal traffic on a roadway. In the back of my mind I think that it was my choice to fly...why should other people have to suffer when my plane goes silent and I can steer it away?

Hard to make a blanket statement, but personally I would probably opt for the water/surf along the beach.

It is s big reason I outfitted the WACO with inflatable life jackets for pax. I am almost always within gliding distance of the beach/shore, but for some of the areas I fly, I probably have a better shot landing in the water at 45 mph.

I wonder if he slammed on the brakes and nosed over at the end to avoid people or if he just hit a hole or something....

One of the videos of the crash shows him touching down, then a large splash just before nosing over. I think he was aiming for the edge of the water and an incoming wave brought enough water to flip him.

At the low levels these guys fly at he didn't have a lot of time to choose, and assuming he was a little offshore when the engine stopped his choices were beach or deep water. He might have been able to get to solid ground, but I know that area well and there aren't exactly any fields to land in right there. I'm sure he knew that the gear would flip him if he landed on water, and he'd run a big risk of drowning. In the same situation, in the same place, I think I'd have made the same decision.

Hard to make a blanket statement, but personally I would probably opt for the water/surf along the beach.

Agreed. I see no justification for landing on a crowded beach and endangering people on the ground. Land offshore. You sacrifice your plane and put yourself at perhaps-increased risk in order to avoid making others pay for your choices.

In this case, a 12-year-old on the beach suffered a head injury, which means possible brain trauma, which often brings long-term dysfunction even after the acute symptoms subside.

Back