Bang for your buck

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I admittedly cheaped out on my headset and got a Softcomm C-20, well it is rather uncomfortable and is certainly on the junky side. With sunglasses it is outright painful for hours after the flight. Anyone know of a headset that gives you the best bang for your buck? I don't need anything fancy just something that is comfortable and works well.

Last edited:
I have a set of Lightspeed ANR headsets that aren't the expensive ones and I like them fine. I also have a Sigtronics w/ no ANR and they're OK - comfortable and good to use now as the "second" set in the plane. I prefer having the ANR feature and also I can plus in my ipod and listen to music while I fly - the music is damped when any talking occurs from ATC or on the intercom.

Replacing the foam with gel pads go a long way toward making those pretty comfortable.

I also like my David Clarks, but I really haven't used very many headsets.

Whatever you do, get ANR, because without it, eventually, you won't be able to hear the bang no matter how many bucks you spend.

Replacing the foam with gel pads go a long way toward making those pretty comfortable.

That is certainly my cheapest way out at $20ish dollars, positive they will make a difference? I have "extra thick" foam ones right now.

Whatever you do, get ANR, because without it, eventually, you won't be able to hear the bang no matter how many bucks you spend.

Once I get my license... or can even solo maybe it will be worth the investment, but as of now I certainly do not need, or can afford ANR.

Isn't the standard 23/24 db of noise reduction enough? sure beats cotton or no ear protection.
If you want more protection without ANR wear ear plugs under your headset. That's what I did for years and I don't think I'm hard of hearing, do you? :)

Also, you might go to the pilot shops at Centennial and try on their headsets to see which ones fit you the best. How are the lessons coming?

Also, you might go to the pilot shops at Centennial and try on their headsets to see which ones fit you the best. How are the lessons coming?

Lessons are coming along, I still miss my uncontrolled field though, but I finally found a good CFI thanks to you so thats definitely a plus. More noise reduction was not the issue, comfort of the headset on my my head is and I now wonder if those gel earcups would solve the problem?

Alright I found some relatively cheap ANR's within my price range such as the lightspeed 15XLC, any issues I should know about a cheap ANR system?

Lessons are coming along, I still miss my uncontrolled field though, but I finally found a good CFI thanks to you so thats definitely a plus. More noise reduction was not the issue, comfort of the headset on my my head is and I now wonder if those gel earcups would solve the problem?

Gel pads are definitely more better:D than foam. They converted my ASA headset from a two hour bearable unit to an all day unit. Of course YMWV.

Ron normally I'd tend join right with you but the other day I had the opportunity to fly short notice and didn't have my lightspeed XLC20 headsets with me so I used a spare par of PNR David Clarks. I found myself tending to use more power than necssary as it was so darn quiet I wasn't used to the engine sound. Its making me think a bit.

If you want more protection without ANR wear ear plugs under your headset. That's what I did for years and I don't think I'm hard of hearing, do you? :)

WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :)

All my hearing loss comes from 8 years of playing pipe organ. It's noticeable - I almost always hold my phone up to my left ear. My right ear is the one that faced the pipes. You know that saying "pull out all the stops"? Yeah, that was me.

That is certainly my cheapest way out at $20ish dollars, positive they will make a difference? I have "extra thick" foam ones right now.

Did for me. Don't forget the one that goes on top of your head.

The gel pads made a world of difference for me. I still would like to eventually get ANR, but they sure improved the PNR for me.

I bought two pairs of these:

www.tinaspilotshop.com

Click "product overview" -> "headsets and accessories" -> then scroll down to "Lightspeed Gel earseals".

Direct Link

Tim

I have two pairs of ASA headsets that I've used since I started training. I replaced the foam with gel and they're quite comfortable - FOR ME. I have two friends who swear by David Clarkes. I've tried multiple models and they feel like a vise after 20-30 minutes - TO ME.

I did commercial recording and live sound for a few years and if I know nothing else about headphones/headsets, I know this - they have to fit YOU. Passive, active, this brand, that brand, it's all good information, but the most wonderful pair in the world is a wasted investment if they don't fit your head. Please try on (and preferably fly with if you possibly can) the candidates before buying.

John

If it's not too late to throw in my $.02; I spent YEARS using the same pair of LightSpeed QFRSolo Cs. I even used them for my first three years in a turbo prop (which is why my wife has learned to say everything twice). As everyone has said, updating the pads and ear seals makes a WORLD of difference in terms of comfort and attentuation.

Now I have the LightSpeet Zulu, and can't say enough about these either.

Good luck with your decision and lessons!

The gel pads made a world of difference for me. I still would like to eventually get ANR, but they sure improved the PNR for me.

I bought two pairs of these:

www.tinaspilotshop.com

Click "product overview" -> "headsets and accessories" -> then scroll down to "Lightspeed Gel earseals".

Direct Link

Tim

Tim -- that link is blocked for me -- site is reported as having "Malware/spying" embedded.

:frown3:

I admittedly cheaped out on my headset and got a Softcomm C-20, well it is rather uncomfortable and is certainly on the junky side. With sunglasses it is outright painful for hours after the flight. Anyone know of a headset that gives you the best bang for your buck? I don't need anything fancy just something that is comfortable and works well.

I like my Lightspeed 30 3Gs. I have two of them. They are comfy and quiet. The ANR makes a huge difference for understanding ATC.

Minuses: when I fly a Citabria with a noisy electrical system the ANR turns off as I advance the throttle for takeoff (fixed via a power cycle). They eat batteries like crazy. My wife has a small head, and after a longer flight I figured out why she doesn't really like them -- the earseals don't seal properly if your head is too small, meaning the ANR doesn't work.

Chris

I bought my first pair of David Clark's used from an add on the flightschool bulletin board. Look aroud, good, used deals are out there. They are my back-ups now as I've also gone to ANR's with Lightspeed 3G's.

Softcomm C-90 for the past 9 years. ANR headseat at a reasonable price. No longer in production, but I'm sure whatever Softcomm has replaced it with is also good. Comfortable for me. YMMV.

I have the Sigtronics Basic entry headset, and after a few flights I switched out the foam ear seals to gel seals, and haven't had any of the sunglass pressures anymore, and the overall fit seems much better. When I purchased another S-20 headset for my wife, the first thing I did was get the gel seals for her before she even put her new headset on for the first time. I'll make the jump to ANR with cell phone interface/bluetooth when I get my IR, but in the mean time, these headsets fit comfortably and do the job well with the gel seals.

Thanks everyone so much for the insight! I have gel earcups on the way in the mail and Lightspeed QFR's on the wishlist so I'll have them before im 16 and can solo. Again, thank you!

I like my Lightspeed 30 3Gs. I have two of them. They are comfy and quiet. The ANR makes a huge difference for understanding ATC.

I love my 20-3G's. I don't have the battery problem though, my batteries last roughly the stated 50 hours. Are you using cheap batteries? Or rechargeables? I've found that a pair of Duracells will last a LONG time.

Thanks everyone so much for the insight! I have gel earcups on the way in the mail and Lightspeed QFR's on the wishlist so I'll have them before im 16 and can solo. Again, thank you!

I'm gonna weigh in quick here, as the first thing I thought about when I saw your post was these:

http://www.gca.aero/detail/5990/Headsets/GCA/GCA-ANR-II/

It's basically an OEM'ed Lightspeed QFR Solo with ANR, for $249. Lightspeed doesn't even sell such a thing themselves, you have to get this from Gulf Coast or Pacific Coast. If you like the fit of the QFR Solo, this is a GREAT way to get an ANR headset for a very reasonable price. :yes:

Dave Clark anytime anyplace. If you have a problem just send them back and they will fix usually for free or for little $.

Once I get my license... or can even solo maybe it will be worth the investment, but as of now I certainly do not need, or can afford ANR.

For birthday and Christmas gifts, ask for cash. Save up for the ANR. Trust everyone here when they recommend ANR. ANR didn't exist when most of us learned to fly (or partied too hard in front of 12 ft high speakers at rock concerts....) and our ears/hearing is proof.

You may also be able to pick up used Lightspeed on various craigslist/eBay/other aviation boards.

Where in Colorado are you located? There's a bunch of us locally - time to plan our May lunch. Come along and you have the opportunity to fly in different aircraft and try out different headsets that we may have hanging around. I started with Dave Clarks - and to me, they are still the most comfortable on my head - but I fly with LS Zulus for my hearing. But I still have the DCs along with an older pair of LS 15K.

Minuses: when I fly a Citabria with a noisy electrical system the ANR turns off as I advance the throttle for takeoff (fixed via a power cycle). They eat batteries like crazy. My wife has a small head, and after a longer flight I figured out why she doesn't really like them -- the earseals don't seal properly if your head is too small, meaning the ANR doesn't work.

Chris

I've run into the size problem also. Lightspeed is very aware of this type of problem and one solution they have is a thicker head cushion for the Zulus. Try putting a folded cloth (washcloth, etc) under the head cushion. Fold until it works. Raising the headband raises the ear seals, and that's usually the solution.

But what do I know? I do software, not hardware....

Where in Colorado are you located?

I'm in Evergreen and fly out of KAPA. I couldnt make it to the steamboat fly-in because of Avalanche training*

The gel earcups came yesterday and I'll be testing them out in about half an hour. Like I said the QFR's are on my wishlist for the holidays.

I've run into the size problem also. Lightspeed is very aware of this type of problem and one solution they have is a thicker head cushion for the Zulus. Try putting a folded cloth (washcloth, etc) under the head cushion. Fold until it works. Raising the headband raises the ear seals, and that's usually the solution.

But what do I know? I do software, not hardware....

I had problems with my Lightspeed 30 3G cutting out on take off, especially on grass strips. The gel seals didn't seal well. Lightspeed gave me a set of the older foam ear seals that are thicker and it fixed the problem for everything but the roughest strips.
Apparently I'm a pinhead! :rolleyes:

Barb

Back