Balloon Training

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Ever since I went to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque,NM several years ago I have always wanted to learn to fly one. I have my PPSEL so I thought it might be fun to add on the rating. Would help to solve my current BFR situation (sort of, I have my 3rd phase of Wings so I am "legal")
Does any one know of an Instructor in my neck of the woods? (Wildwood, NJ)
I have half hearted looked on the Web but a recommendation from someone
would be appreciated........................................KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
Ever since I went to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque,NM several years ago I have always wanted to learn to fly one. I have my PPSEL so I thought it might be fun to add on the rating. Would help to solve my current BFR situation (sort of, I have my 3rd phase of Wings so I am "legal")

as I'm sure you'd imagine - there are quite a few here in the 'burque. Might be wort a trip out here to get the training at the Mecca for balloons....

cherokeeflyboy said:

There is a commercial balloon operation at Smoketown. I don't have contact information, but I'm sure if you called Mel Glick (airport owner) via Smoketown Airport/Glick Aviation he would hook you up with the balloon company's owner. If you can't find a Smoketown Airport phone number shoot me a note on the side.

I used to live out in NJ about twelve years ago (edited to add--maybe longer than that, old age makes me forget!) , and Hunterdon, Somerset, and Warren county had TONS of balloonists. (I even used to be on chase crew for some of them!)

This link has a lot of phone numbers that might help. Any of those places should connect you with a lighter than air CFI. Good luck.

http://www.funnewjersey.com/upload_user/Outdoor_Adventure/HOT_AIR_BALLOON_RIDES_NJ.htm

terry

Thanks Terry,
Just what I was looking for.
Ed , I just might take you up on your gracious offer.
Nick, I wish now that I had done just what you suggested when I was living there(1986-87) Albur. is a great City!

Last edited:
Back in the late 1970s we lived in Napa, CA. It was not at all uncommon to wake up on a weekend morning to the sound of burners overhead. Don't know if any instruction is available around there.

Looks like my wife and I may get our first hot air balloon ride this October, in South Africa. I've got a standards committee meeting in Cape Town and we're going over to Kruger National Park afterwards for a 4 day safari. A balloon ride is one of the options. I'll take lots of pictures if we take the ride.

My dad and his wife was supposed to fly in this this everning up in Wichita, Ks. Wind were to high. Now that is a supprise for Kansas.

cherokeeflyboy said:

To me, Balooning is the most dangerous form of aviation. You are hauling pressurized tanks of fuel you are not allowed to carry in a plane, and you are shooting flames at a rather thin nylon/flamable synthetic material in order to stay aloft, and if you have a surface wind of over 5 or so knots when you need to land, you're screwed, it's probably gonna hurt. I don't like operating equipment with that minimal of control.

Back