Bahamas- Dish the Dirt, Gang!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
OK, all of you experienced and adventurous aviators. I need your help.

My Goddess-like wife, Celia, has decreed that we are going to the Bahamas for spring break, and she does *NOT* mean Atlantis, or anything like that!

What I am looking for is advice, touts, experiences (like Ron's Bahamas post of recent vintage). In particular:

1. Recommendations for what islands to visit- we intend to "island-hop," and would dearly love to learn of those less-well-known destinations, best accessed by air and their private-but-well-kept runway.

2. Recommendations on specific places to stay; if you know that smaller, more-intimate, yet thoroughly relaxing place, that's what we want.

3. What to do? Offbeat or unusual excursions or sites to visit.

4. Pilots' practical stuff- customs tips (I see lots of this already, it does appear Fort Pearce is the must-stop place on the Florida peninsula in both directions), operational advice for island operations, where best to buy the charts that are beyond the Florida sectional, all that stuff.

===

FWIW, we'll be flying an F33 Bonanza, with three of us and luggage, so performance should not be a big limitation this time around.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions y'all have.

Warmest regards, /s/ Spike

Last edited:
We quite enjoyed our stay at Hawk's Nest on Cat Island in 2004. At the time, they were just finishing up on their new runway, which is only a few hundred feet from the lodging, so we had to land at the nearby port of entry, New Bight, and take a taxi from there. The runway is now open, so, while you'll still need to hit a port of entry first, you can just walk from your plane.

They have a gorgeous location. Some of the pictures we took there look like Corona ads. The food is very good, and the honor bar is well-stocked. They have an adjoining marina on the other side of the runway, with free bicycles to get there, along with kayaks and snorkel gear.

For more info, their website is http://www.hawks-nest.com.

SCCutler said:
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions y'all have.
Best advice I can give is to talk to Charlie Melot. If he doesn't respond on this board, try the red board or email him. If I remember correctly, he lives in the Bahamas part time.

-Skip

Spike,

A couple of months ago I few people to a part of the Bahamas that I had not been it. We flew them into Marsh Harbour and then stayed in Guana Cay. It's away from people. I few a Learjet 35 in there so the runway is fine. The port of entry is easy. The FBO will handling all the fees and the customs people for you. They did have WSI and a phone to the US for the pilots.

The accomidations on Guana Cay are very lax. I am not real sure there is a phone or TV on the island of Guana Cay. I was there for five days and enjoyed it. However, my other pilot with me did not. He is used to the fast paced US life. I however (Arkansas boy) fell asleep many nights with my MP3 player on the beach or dock of the motel. Notice I said motel. There is not a chain of any sort of store there. The roads are golf cart paths even. I found it amuzing that boats would come there at night and anchore, swim a shore and drink at the bar and then leave every night. :) I would love that life.

So if you really want to slow down and get away. I would suggest it but if you are used to nice rooms and chain restaurants, I would not.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 30
I flew a Cherokee 180 to Marsh Harbour a few years ago and stayed at

http://www.abacobeachresort.com/?cid=goo

Worth the price imho. Intimate setting despite the size of the resort. Have cash for the taxi.

Took a day trip to Hopetown on the daily shuttle boat. The conch was great.

Departed and returned via Ft. Pierce. No problems either way, although there were no tie downs available at Marsh Harbour airport.

We flew a 310 down to Abaco Island (Treasure Cay) years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to fly there again except that I don't have any interest in going back. The flying part was easy and fun, but customer service was non existent everywhere we went. I'd rather spend February in Fargo.

Spike:

At the Green Turtle Yacht Club to your research list http://www.greenturtleclub.com/

It's a small island just east of Treasure Cay; you land at Treasure Cay (MYAT on Great Abaco Island). Nice runway there with customs. You then take a ferry over to Green Turtle. Small one mile wide island with a very sparcely used beach on the Atlantic Ocean side one can walk or take a golf cart to. Lots of yachts pull up to visit. You are in a bay with a small beach that's more sheltered. Great seafood.

Charlie Melot would be a great resourse for where he goes.

Get a copy of the Bahamas Caribbealn Pilot's guide at http://www.pilotpub.com/id2.html

It will give you all the scoop on places to stay, things to do, VFR charts, phone numbers, what to bring etc.

I can bring some stuff to the next club meeting, or, we can just grab a bit and I'd be happy to share our experiences with you.

Best,

Dave

This great- keep 'em coming. I have been given a revised clearance and departure instructions, and I presume you all are ready to copy.

Celia Jane read, somewhere, about an island which allegedly had an airstrip (at or close to the water), a bar, a dock, and esentially nothing else.

She wants this place. Any of you recognize it?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Spike we could go the other way, can you do a 600nm leg in the F33?
http://www.loreto.com/

I ve been away too long, this is where we stayed:
http://www.loretoplaya.com/welcome.html
no that is not us in the bathtub

She's done a lot of Mexico, but you just never know...

...I sure couldn't do KADS-MMLT non-stop, but I would presume that, were I flying to Loreto, I'd stop at some appropriate airport of entry in northwest Mexico (Juarez?), clear in, top up and launch for a relatively easy 450NM or so.

Of course, I punched that up in RTFP, and it tells me that my MORA is FL182! Guess I'd better look at the charts and see what's up with all that. Not flying that high in NA Bonanza w/o O2, am I.

------

OK, you made me get off-task. Bahamas. Bahamas. That's what we're supposed to be looking into here. Eye on the prize, Dave.

Spike,

Actually, you would go from ADS to ELP and then to MMLT. I have done this in a Barron. I think the longest leg is 450NM (Fltplan.com). It's been a couple of years but I dont remember it being that challenging.

My parents have stayed at Higgins Landing http://www.higginslanding.com/ . It's owned by the older brother of a high school classmate and his wife. You'll have to fly to a nearby island and take their boat. Supposed to be very quiet and relaxing. One of these years my wife and I will have to give it a try.

Sounds like your wife is interested in Normans Cay. Used to be MacDuff's, but they sold out to a developer. Just an airstrip, a bar and rooms on the beach, Great place! I am getting the contact info on the new owners, as I am going back in May.
I would also suggest, Staniel Cay Yacht Club. Rooms are walking distance from the strip, food is great and you can rent a boat to snorkel in the Thunderball grotto (a hollow island with thousands of fish, used in early 007 movie).
I have also stayed at Fernandez Bay. Awesome beach and honor bar. They keep clearing your tab, so you don't know how much you drank until you leave:eek:
Best beach has to be at CapeSantaMaria. Rooms are again walking distance from the strip. Beach is UNREAL!
If it was me, I would fly to N.Eleuthra to clear customs. Then go to Normans Cay for 2 days. Stop by Staniel cay for an afternoon or 1 night (no real beach) to snorkel in the grotto. Then spend 3 or 4 days at CapeSantaMaria.
Get gas in Georgetown, Exuma (cheaper than FL in alot of places) and head home.
At least thats what I am doing in the Lake in May. (may land in some lagoons of deserted islands to, but I would not try that in your F33:rofl: )
Murf

Is this a great bunch, or what?

Y'all rule! Thanks for all the suggestions.

IMO Long Island has a lot to offer if you are looking for something different. I really enjoyed Chez pierre's place which is halfway down the island. This place is very rustic and not to be confused with club med. However, the food is wonderful!! and the family that runs it are very nice. The cape and stella at the north end of the island are nice too. If you need a rental or a cheaper place to stay just call anyone on the island and ask for alfred and they will give you his number...everyone knows everyone on Long Island.

Attachments

• long-island.jpg
    long-island.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
MacDuffs on Normans Cay is now known as "Normans Cay Beach Club"

Contact number is 242-357-8846. Web site is : normanscaybeachclub.com, although it is not up and running yet.

Pat.

Back