Bahamas adventure in the KA C90

Nah, all they know is that those planes that whoosh instead of sputter when they land are owned by those super-rich tycoons who make big real-estate deals and drive fancy German cars. The only guy who hits balls there and also owns a whoosher only has one motor on his, and it's a French name nobody can pronounce 850-something.

They certainly do expect more from the King Air.

Best,

Dave

Yep no argument here. My joke about changing careers was only partially in jest.

Sysadmins fall into that phrase, "just because you're necessary, doesn't mean you're important". ;) ;) ;)

I'm overhead. With properly designed systems, I don't exist. Luckily, millions of poorly designed systems out there because properly designed ones are expensive.

I'm cheaper than doing it right. I know this. I've seen the price tags. ;)

Don't get me wrong, when one starts their own business, they almost have to live it. Takes all of one's wits to differentiate, find the niche and it's all up to you to get it done at times. It can be very lonely when decisions aren't popular or market conditions challenging. What many are able to do is continue to learn and grow in the normal job environment. At some point, you will see where you can do something better. That's what I did. Was the RE guy at a securities firm when the market tanked. Really knew the business and had a descent experience and education level then. When I applied for jobs at other places, they all said I was over qualified. A couple folks confided they felt I would compete with them if they hired me; so, I started bringing folks deals myself. That turned into me becoming an acquisition person for a Canadian firm. Once I could bring in deals, I saw I could raise equity and get loans. So, I just started doing them myself. Get the skills, find a niche, go out and build you're own company or go to work where you're directly rewarded for your own productivity.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did you check with Executive? I've used both facilities and found Executive had better service, at least when I was there.

Called this morning: owner waived a couple fees if I purchased fuel. They have a new customer!

Best,

Dave

I retrospect, I probably should have gone a couple miles north, done a 180 and a more stabilized approach back in. The 360 felt fine but the passenger I had aboard was uncomfortable with it. Partially because all these warnings were going off and they weren't sure what they were. Same going into Gastons. Never felt it was unsafe, but a good rule to go by is to be stabilized at 1,000 feet on the way in ( I had come down from 11,500). Of course, a lot of us don't do that and some have pattern altitudes lower, but passengers go buy how smooth the ride was and if one squeaks the landing. Faster rate of descents and 45 degree turns to get down aren't comfortable to them.

Best,

Dave

Aww come now... Overhead breaks in a KA are the norm, right? ;) ;) ;)

The Bahamas government has instituted new private aviation tariffs consisting of a $50 per landing and departure customs processing fee for private aircraft and $75 per landing and* departure fee for commercial operators. The landing charges are also imposed for technical fuel stops. The new fees took effect last week. In addition the passenger departure tax was recently raised to $25 per person, including the crew and children older than 6.

If I read this right, that's $150 for a flight with 4 on board.

That is about right. I dropped some folks off in San Salvador two weeks ago and was charged $11. Went back last week to pick them up and it was $161. Same 11 bucks for landing, $50 customs processing fee, $25 a person tax(2 pax, 2 crew). I didn't dare complain because I figured they would decide they under charged me the first time.

Last edited:
I have been blessed to be able to fly turbine aircraft on family vacations. Unfortunately, not with my family, don't usually get to stay, and to places that I might not want to go.

But it beats working for a living, :)

And I actually have been able to take my family with me a few times.

Getting last minute things done. Niece just got her daughter's passport today. Departing here Thursday at 10:00 for Rockford, then Oshkosh. First leg of the trip.

Best,

Dave

I got that from a gal who handles a budget that goes through billions...she dropped it one me and I thought the same thing you did...a gem.

Been trying to get her to budget me a turbine...unsucessful so far. :D

A random diversion...

Budget Dust! Thats a gem. First time I heard that phrase. I am going to adopt its usage. Thanks.

A quick search brought this up http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=budget dust.

No problem on the leg to Rockford and Oshkosh today. Some systems in the plains, but we circumnavigated or went over. Climbed to FL250 to top the Truman MOA and had a nice tail wind, so, we stayed there. Nice for it to be a non-event. Normal pending business stuff that I'm trying to wrap up or delay until I get back. Funny how you tell folks over and over you're leaving and the day you leave, they say they didn't know it was then (g).
Anyway, up here with nieces and grand nieces/nephews. Starting to get into the vacation mode.

Best,

Dave

Flying from Oshkosh to Portage today to pick up one niece and grandniece. Returning to Oshkosh, then after lunch, flying to Greenville, SC where we'll all spend the night with my Daughter's family there. Looks like we'll have thunderstorms along the route. We'll have to see how to avoid.

Best,

Dave

No problem today although we had to penetrate a couple thin systems on the way to South Carolina. At FL190 we just had to go right and left a bit. We were on top of most ceilings apart from individual cells that were higher. Severe clear in Greenville, just wet.
Tomorrow, we're off to Florida, then, a left turn to Treasure Cay!

Best,

Dave

Completely socked in at Greenville this morning, but it's supposed to lift. We aren't scheduled to depart until 11:00. Got my customs approval to depart via e-mail.

Best,

Dave

Great trip out today. Weather was excellent at my altitude. Went down the Florida east coast to just south of Orlando. When turned over to Miami, I requested direct Freeport when able; they immediately gave me direct Treasure Cay; so, we turned left and went direct. Landed right on time.
Fella from Treasure Cay Jet Service met us, guided us in and parked us. Took the passengers in to clear customs while I buttoned up the plane. He than came back to get me and loaded all the baggage onto a cart. By the time I got in, he had the baggage cleared and put us in a cab to the ferry. Waited about 30 minutes for the next ferry and came over to Green Turtle. We got things put away, organized a bit and went over for a wonderful dinner at the club. Then, took golf carts over to Ocean Beach on the east side of the island. Got back to the room and called it a day.
Wonderful day of flying, boating, nice dinner and riding in golf carts to the beach and back.
Tuckered out!

Pic was from FL190 just south of Orlando as we headed down the Florida east coast before turning left direct to Treasure Cay.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Bahamas trip 2013.jpg
    Bahamas trip 2013.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52
Finally got settled in today. Swam on the ocean side. Waves were a bit high for the youngsters and water wasn't very clear until we got out quite away. Went to the pool with the kids in the afternoon. Nap, then dinner.....Ahhhhhh.

Best,

Dave

Finally got settled in today. Swam on the ocean side. Waves were a bit high for the youngsters and water wasn't very clear until we got out quite away. Went to the pool with the kids in the afternoon. Nap, then dinner.....Ahhhhhh.

Best,

Dave
Hope you guys (and gals) have a great time Dave. You're one heck of an uncle.

Thanks Lance! Going fishing this morning and little ones will swim with manta rays. I've got some pics, but we're having a bit of trouble getting them from camera to computer to post. Will try to fix that later today or tomorrow.

Best,

Dave

Approach to 14 at Treasure Cay. We were going to do an overhead pass and come around in left traffic, but there was no one in sight or on the radio, so, we went straight in.

My nephew Noah assisting Nigel the ferry captain (g)

Attachments

• 204.JPG
    204.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 205.JPG
    205.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Great Nephew and niece on cart.

Fishing.

Attachments

• 216.JPG
    216.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 232.JPG
    232.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
Looks like you're all having a great time! :yes:

Feeding the spoils of bate after fishing.

Swimming with stingrays.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• 248.JPG
    248.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 245.JPG
    245.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
Flying to Nassau this afternoon to pick up the rest of the crew and bring them back to Treasure. Then, cab and ferry back to Green Turtle. Coordinated with folks at each airport in advance. Executive here said they'd take a Colt card on the phone when I called last week. That was incorrect, but they take AvFuel and I have that card also (for Jet A).
Did the Customs form for the return trip and it was pretty simple. They have a feature where it saves the old manifest and one can just change time and destination. I'll recheck before I submit and wait to check weather since it's a week off.

Manjack is where we swam with the stingrays. They'd just kind of glide over our feet. I did feel a rough spot on the stinger on one as he went over, but is was just him looking for something to eat and his tail passed over my leg.

One black tip shark stalked us fishing (g). We saw him take several fish off our line as we tried to reel them in. Once, he came to the surface and circled a bit, then, dashed in and grabbed a fish off the line. We had to move or we would have never gotten anything to the boat!

Adam, the owner, came over and said hi at dinner last night. Nice fella. Glad he purchased the place. Interesting background: loves sailing and the island.

I haven't dwelled on dinner here, but it's excellent. I think the best food on the island. We're pretty much stuck to seafood. Lobster is great. Of course, very fresh. We got some off a boat while out with Lincoln and he cooked it on the beach with the fish we caught. Had it here at GT also. My nieces love a fresh asparagus cheese soup they had here before. The chef made it fresh for them. Lobster ravioli for them last night. I did tuna.

We're having a great time! Napping each day (because the young kids need it of course), eating too much and getting a LOT of sun.

Best,

Dave

We got a pic of the entire group at dinner this evening.
Daughter, Son I L, Granddaughters: two nieces with one husband and their three children.
Met a fella flying a v_tail bonanza on the ferry Wednesday. Ralph Smith flew in here today in his A-36.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Dinner with group at Green Turtle.jpg
    Dinner with group at Green Turtle.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 24
Awesome stuff! How was Executive in MYNN? Our cheapest fuel price there is Colt as well... if they don't take the physical card see if Colt can arrange a fuel release for when you leave.

We got a pic of the entire group at dinner this evening.
Daughter, Son I L, Granddaughters: two nieces with one husband and their three children.
Met a fella flying a v_tail bonanza on the ferry Wednesday. Ralph Smith flew in here today in his A-36.

Best,

Dave

Good lookin' crew. Fun trip.

Awesome stuff! How was Executive in MYNN? Our cheapest fuel price there is Colt as well... if they don't take the physical card see if Colt can arrange a fuel release for when you leave.

Executive took Colt. Tried to charge me a facility fee which Franz had said he would waive if I recall correctly. I'll have to look at my notes. Excellent service. Treasure is where they said they took Colt and when I got here they said the didn't. Worked out something with AvFuel, but it will cost a bit more.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. May have some weather issues tomorrow. Looks like some stuff may hang around from today and we have low ceilings with isolated thunderstorms here today. They prefer we depart VFR and get our clearance in the air if possible. Otherwise, we'll have to depart with a clearance void time. Luckily, I got approach charts. They were difficult to find. Airnav says no approaches as does Foreflight.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. May have some weather issues tomorrow. Looks like some stuff may hang around from today and we have low ceilings with isolated thunderstorms here today. They prefer we depart VFR and get our clearance in the air if possible. Otherwise, we'll have to depart with a clearance void time. Luckily, I got approach charts. They were difficult to find. Airnav says no approaches as does Foreflight.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Let me know if you want a copy of the Jepp plates, I can email them to you.

Dave,

Let me know if you want a copy of the Jepp plates, I can email them to you.

Thanks, I got some from a friend already, but they weren't at the usual places. Isolated storms today. Weather may be an issue tomorrow when I make two trips to Nassau to get the group over.
Snorkeled Bita beach today. Wonderful, shallow bay with clear water the kids were comfortable in. One could go out farther and it was a bit deeper but very calm. Different world.

Best,

Dave

Leaving Atlantis tomorrow. Will spend the night in the Greenville SC area; then, head up to Oshkosh to drop off nieces.

Best,

Dave

Long day today. Customs on Fort Pierce went well. Tiki lounge for a late lunch. Lots of CBs in Florida. Deviated a lot at FL210, kept worse to light chop. We have some very tired kids in Greenville tonight. On to Osh tomorrow.

Back