Bahamas adventure in the KA C90

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
As some of you know, years ago, I began taking my nieces on an annual trip in my plane. We did skip a few years to go to Hawaii commercially, but flew my plane on trips in between. It started off innocently enough with me inviting a niece in Wisconsin to visit one summer here in Dallas. She wanted to take two Sisters (which are really cousins). My Brother and his wife passed and she went to live with my in-laws. So, I was closer to her than most Uncles.
Anyway, we stated flying in my A-36 when they were 13, 11, and 10. Now, they are 26 and younger with kids of their own.
This year, I'll fly to Wisconsin to pick them up. Spend the night at OSH; then, fly to Greenville, SC the next day and overnight there. On Saturday, the 10th, we'll fly to Treasure Cay, then take a ferry over to Green Turtle Cay. I'll have two of my nieces, one husband, two two-year-olds and one a few weeks old who was given my name as his middle name. We've planned this for several months now. This is my third for fourth trip to Green Turtle. First was in 1971 or '72 in a rented Army flying club plane. Never thought I'd be making this trip in a turbine.

Launching August 8th for Wisconsin and will try to post on here when I can about the trip. Also posing on Beechtalk.

Best regards,

Dave

What a trip! Enjoy!

My nephews are my best boating and flying buddies...

Dave if you aren't aware yet. As of July 1st, the Bahamas snuck in ANOTHER $50 fee for landing there. Just to give you a heads up.

These new fees are on top of the ones that they already were charging.

Dave if you aren't aware yet. As of July 1st, the Bahamas snuck in ANOTHER $50 fee for landing there. Just to give you a heads up.

"Budget dust" on a trip like Dave has planned...

We did the Heineken race in Antigua in a friend's 90, then stopped at a few islands on the way home. Great fun.

Yes, I saw that $50 for private; $75 in and out for commercial. It has gotten much more expensive over the years and more complex. First time I went in an Army flying club Cherokee 235 we just had to be on a DVFR or IFR flight plan. No Eapis customs stuff. Fees were less. We buzzed Green Turtle so they would come up on unicom. Chatted and they sent a boat over to get us. Now, in addition to more formal customs at Treasure Cay, taxi to ferry; charge for ferry to Green Turtle. Big hassle to load and unload stuff: carts for Customs, carry to Taxi, load and unload on ferry, etc. It's a reason we like to stay awhile once there.

But.....once there Ahhhhhhh! On the east side of the island, nothing between us and Europe. Very shallow reef we can snorkel on with small ones. Not a care....until we hop over to Atlantis (g).

Best,

Dave

Thanks! It just kinna happened over the years. I'm very lucky my business grew in the manner it did.

How's the recovery going? I know it has to be tough to be on the ground.

Best,

Dave

Something tells me there was a lot more to it then luck :) I also suspect that family one cares about can be a great motivator.

Something tells me there was a lot more to it then luck :) I also suspect that family one cares about can be a great motivator.
Jesse,
You are pretty smart for such a young whippersnapper. :D

How's the recovery going? I know it has to be tough to be on the ground.
Thanks Dave. The recovery is way different than I anticipated, although I wasn't really sure what to anticipate. The physical, as in structural, part is fine, I think. The getting meds adjusted was difficult at first now hopefully better. It doesn't help that there's a long list of things which can be affected, and how it affected me is not as common as some things that didn't affect me. I do know that there's a reason that they said I'd probably feel OK from a discomfort standpoint in a week but there was at least a 12-week period before he would consider signing me off to fly an airplane, and this is just the surgeon, not the endo or the FAA. I did walk my couple miles to the mailbox structure and back this morning but I could do that 3 weeks ago.

People ask me if I miss flying but weirdly I miss the people more. I only told in advance people who had to know, mostly management at work and the two guys I fly with the most, also my AME here in Denver and Dr. Bruce. I would go places with people or see people there, and know I was seeing them for the last time in a long time and maybe forever, but I still said, "see you next time".

Right now I've got the no flying even on airlines restriction for another week. Physically I could probably take off, fly around and land but I wouldn't want to be the PIC, have anything unusual to happen, have it be a long day (I would fall asleep), etc. I also haven't thought much about the airplane in a long time. I've still got 7 of the mandatory 12 weeks to go and even if approved right away, which also depends on how I react to whatever the endo does with the meds, I'll need to go to recurrent. In other words, don't expect me to be down there until late fall at the earliest. At least it will be cool! :)

Note to people: Someday I might feel more comfortable writing more on an open forum but not yet. Heck I went from maybe 10 people knowing to many, many when I started posting about it. It's not a secret as far as I'm concerned, people at work know, anyone who I might possibly get a job with in the future will know. Plus I'm OK with the whole situation as it is. But as a learning device, remember that if you think something is not right with your body, even if it's just annoying, get it checked out. It might not be anything significant or it might be worse, and it might be a good thing they caught it early and incidentally. I can easily see someone younger or me as a young person blowing off the original complaint. Heck, reading many posts, most older people would have blown it off too.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :redface:

A LOT of hard work, of course, and one has to do it smartly, but there were still times when things could have gone one way or another and they went the right way!

Best,

Dave

Got the fees at Treasure Cay and Nassau. TC has a landing fee, Customs $50 and some other fees, but at least TC Jet Service said they would park me, help unload, get through customs and to the ferry for no charge if I purchase 100 gallons of fuel.
Oddyssey in Nassau is a bit different:
$34 to land; $33 facility fee/$75 ramp fee waived if I purchase fuel; $32 per night to park. At least they'll provide a courtesy car or go to the commercial terminal to pick up family so I can fly them back to TC.
I'll have to have customs open late that day and arrange a late ferry back to Green Turtle from Treasure because their flight gets in late in the day.

Best,

Dave

I will pay all the fees if you need a ME-IR right seater. I even have 0.1 in KAs.

Oddyssey in Nassau is a bit different:
$34 to land; $33 facility fee/$75 ramp fee waived if I purchase fuel; $32 per night to park.

Just out of curiosity, did you check with Executive? I've used both facilities and found Executive had better service, at least when I was there.

Cool story, sounds like a fun plan .. Turbines are nice it's cool for your group as they have seen everything evolve 235 to a turbine.

Wrong. You need to work smarter. We all do.

Well true. Changing/modifying chosen profession would probably help, too.

Haven't met many billionaire late-night server fixit guys.

I are just un Internet janitor. I sweep up da bits and put um in da bit bucket. ;)

Just out of curiosity, did you check with Executive? I've used both facilities and found Executive had better service, at least when I was there.

I didn't and someone else mentioned that and gave me a contact. I will contact them and compare.

Thanks,

Dave

Get better soon! Hope all goes as well as possible. I would think it would be a big change that would take some getting used to, but sounds like you're just taking it in stride.

Best,

Dave
I've learned how to do that because there is really nothing else to do... :)

Well true. Changing/modifying chosen profession would probably help, too.

Haven't met many billionaire late-night server fixit guys.

I are just un Internet janitor. I sweep up da bits and put um in da bit bucket. ;)

Folks, don't short yourself as far as abilities. While my family was supportive, it was going into the military that straightened me out and gave me discipline. Taught me to keep on pushing no matter what.
In the late 80s, I lost everything I had in the big real estate/S&L bust we had. Started a new business that has gotten me where I am. Went to a lot of school in the Army, got out and finished my undergrad and got an MBA. I'm a life long learner. A lot of you have met me. Not a member of MENSA, maybe smarter than average, but not gifted. Find something that's needed you're good at and go do it as well as you can.
Only in American can most folks start from scratch and achieve the things we can here. You have to believe in yourself and keep things going in the right direction, even when things don't look promising.

If I can do it, most of you can. There are some very talented folks on this board; more basic talent to work with than I have/had.

Just go DO it!

Best,

Dave

Well, It'd been nice to get some when you were in the area! Wonderful to see what you've accomplished. Sorry work was crazy and short notice wouldn't do.
I'm sure we'll be able to get some pics on here!

Best,

Dave

Were you or Jay flying today? Thought I saw the plane on final when I was at the golf range.

Me. Was over the B from the west. Approach turned me north about 3,000 feet over the north end of the runway and told me to contact tower. Had to do a left 360 to get down. Every buzzer, light, blinker, and voice warning system seemed to work perfectly; couple I didn't know I had! RATE OF DESCENT!

Did you need an excuse for that three putt?
Best,

Dave

Nope, it's not uncommon for other golfers to ask me questions like "why is that damfool doing all those di-do's in that big fancy airplane? Don't he know how to fly it?" at which point I am compelled to come up with a plausible answer. Like a gentleman I usually blame it on ATC. :p

Me. Was over the B from the west. Approach turned me north about 3,000 feet over the north end of the runway and told me to contact tower. Had to do a left 360 to get down. Every buzzer, light, blinker, and voice warning system seemed to work perfectly; couple I didn't know I had! RATE OF DESCENT!

Did you need an excuse for that three putt?
Best,

Dave

Could you hear the gear warning down there over the normal emergency vehicles in the big city? I can still hear it (g).
They couldn't have done more to make it difficult, 3,000 feet with runway at my back over the end. Aviation hindlick maneuver.
Just remind your friend, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (g).

Best,

Dave

The Bahamas government has instituted new private aviation tariffs consisting of a $50 per landing and departure customs processing fee for private aircraft and $75 per landing and* departure fee for commercial operators. The landing charges are also imposed for technical fuel stops. The new fees took effect last week. In addition the passenger departure tax was recently raised to $25 per person, including the crew and children older than 6.

If I read this right, that's $150 for a flight with 4 on board.

Last edited:
Folks, don't short yourself as far as abilities. While my family was supportive, it was going into the military that straightened me out and gave me discipline. Taught me to keep on pushing no matter what.
In the late 80s, I lost everything I had in the big real estate/S&L bust we had. Started a new business that has gotten me where I am. Went to a lot of school in the Army, got out and finished my undergrad and got an MBA. I'm a life long learner. A lot of you have met me. Not a member of MENSA, maybe smarter than average, but not gifted. Find something that's needed you're good at and go do it as well as you can.
Only in American can most folks start from scratch and achieve the things we can here. You have to believe in yourself and keep things going in the right direction, even when things don't look promising.

If I can do it, most of you can. There are some very talented folks on this board; more basic talent to work with than I have/had.

Just go DO it!

Best,

Dave
Best post of the month. Very, very true. All of it. :) :)

Nah, all they know is that those planes that whoosh instead of sputter when they land are owned by those super-rich tycoons who make big real-estate deals and drive fancy German cars. The only guy who hits balls there and also owns a whoosher only has one motor on his, and it's a French name nobody can pronounce 850-something.

Could you hear the gear warning down there over the normal emergency vehicles in the big city? I can still hear it (g).
They couldn't have done more to make it difficult, 3,000 feet with runway at my back over the end. Aviation hindlick maneuver.
Just remind your friend, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (g).

Best,

Dave

Best post of the month. Very, very true. All of it. :) :)

Yep no argument here. My joke about changing careers was only partially in jest.

Sysadmins fall into that phrase, "just because you're necessary, doesn't mean you're important". ;) ;) ;)

I'm overhead. With properly designed systems, I don't exist. Luckily, millions of poorly designed systems out there because properly designed ones are expensive.

I'm cheaper than doing it right. I know this. I've seen the price tags. ;)

The Bahamas government has instituted new private aviation tariffs consisting of a $50 per landing and departure customs processing fee for private aircraft and $75 per landing and* departure fee for commercial operators. The landing charges are also imposed for technical fuel stops. The new fees took effect last week. In addition the passenger departure tax was recently raised to $25 per person, including the crew and children older than 6.

If I read this right, that's $150 for a flight with 4 on board.

Addressed above. If it's a private plane, one time $50 for Customs. The $25 is a departure tax per person paid form point of departure. There is some confusion. A from C7A is filed by private planes. I had an interesting chat with the FBO about it and they finally understood it was a private plane. Sigh...we'll see.

Nah, all they know is that those planes that whoosh instead of sputter when they land are owned by those super-rich tycoons who make big real-estate deals and drive fancy German cars. The only guy who hits balls there and also owns a whoosher only has one motor on his, and it's a French name nobody can pronounce 850-something.

I retrospect, I probably should have gone a couple miles north, done a 180 and a more stabilized approach back in. The 360 felt fine but the passenger I had aboard was uncomfortable with it. Partially because all these warnings were going off and they weren't sure what they were. Same going into Gastons. Never felt it was unsafe, but a good rule to go by is to be stabilized at 1,000 feet on the way in ( I had come down from 11,500). Of course, a lot of us don't do that and some have pattern altitudes lower, but passengers go buy how smooth the ride was and if one squeaks the landing. Faster rate of descents and 45 degree turns to get down aren't comfortable to them.

Best,

Dave

Back