Bahama Flight Recommendations?

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Thinking of flying to the Bahamas later this Winter. First time for us, other than commercially. Wondering about basing in Marsh Harbor or Harbor Island for a week or so, with out-trips to the blue hole, etc...

Looking for advice as to the advisability of this, or other, better options.

Thanks!

Jim

Edit...to be clear, we'll be taking the 182 :)

Last edited:
Harbour Island is quite nice, and rather cosmopolitan compared to other places in the out islands. My wife really enjoyed it.

I'm headed to Cat Island on Tuesday for our first Bahamas trip. Got a great deal on a cottage on the beach, plus a $300 fuel credit for a 4 night out-island stay.

Thinking of flying to the Bahamas later this Winter. First time for us, other than commercially. Wondering about basing in Marsh Harbor or Harbor Island for a week or so, with out-trips to the blue hole, etc...

Thanks!

Jim

I stayed at Treasure Cay - which has a top 10 beach.

.....anyone have any tips or tricks or 'knowing-what-I-know now's'?

Thanks!

Jim

I liked Bimini, check out the End of the World bar. When I went, I dove with Blackbeard's so I was on a boat the entire time and had an awesome time. If I went back I would want it to be during lobster season. Swimming over the Road to Atlantis was cool.

.....anyone have any tips or tricks or 'knowing-what-I-know now's'?

Thanks!

Jim

We flew above 6,000 to/from Stella Maris and were never out of radio contact with Miami Center or Nassau. Even descending into Stella Maris, we were able to talk to Miami Center down to around 2,000 ft.

There's no weather reporting out past Nassau. So call on Unicom 20 NM from destination and ask for local conditions.

NEXRAD coverage disappears between Bimini and Andros. Nassau is a RAOB launch site. So, you can check Skew-t charts on the GFS model out to 5 days. ADDS and LM will give you a Caribbean Area forecast. ForeFlight satellite imagery for the Caribbean was useful for spotting squall lines.

Check if they have Avgas at your destination and bring cash to pay for it. Some places don't take a credit card, or would charge a premium for using it.

Watch for strong crosswinds if you're going into Staniel Cay.

Thanks!

Jim

If you are going to Long Island to see Dean's Blue Hole stop by Max's roadside Conch Bar (small shack) for a drink and some fresh Conch Salad. At the north end of Long Island is Cape Santa Maria resort. They have a beautiful beach. The sand feels like soft pillows and runs for over a mile. Use Stella Maris Airport.

Another cool place is Harbour Island. They have a Pink sand Beach and lots of cool places to see, shop, and eat. To get there you land at North Eleuthera Island airport. it is a short ride from there to the place where you catch a boat ride to Harbour Island. Rent a golf cart to get around the island.

Another cool place is Staniel Cay in the chain of islands called the Exuma's. The marina has a nice restaurant and bar. You can rent a boat or get a ride in a boat to the near by island with the swimming pigs. Also there is a neat place to swim in the Grotto where they filmed the Bond film Thunderball. Be sure to check if the runway is open. They were doing some repaving this year at the airport.

These are awesome posts...thank you one and all. Keep 'em coming, please!!

Jim

Another cool place is Staniel Cay in the chain of islands called the Exuma's. The marina has a nice restaurant and bar. You can rent a boat or get a ride in a boat to the near by island with the swimming pigs. Also there is a neat place to swim in the Grotto where they filmed the Bond film Thunderball. Be sure to check if the runway is open. They were doing some repaving this year at the airport.

Staniel Cay re-opened in late November.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/pub...y_Airport_Re-Opened_to_Air_Traffic45182.shtml

I'm headed to Cat Island on Tuesday for our first Bahamas trip. Got a great deal on a cottage on the beach, plus a $300 fuel credit for a 4 night out-island stay.

Please let me know how that goes!

I went in Spring 2014.

Flew into Marsh Harbor. Had a cottage rented on Guana Cay. Rented a boat from Troy (dive guana) for 3 days.

Customs is easy except it was a PITA when coming back into the states. Nothing too bad, but all the bags have to be taken out of the plane, taken into the building and run through an x-ray scanner.

Guana has 3 restaurants/bars worth going to and a small grocery store. I spent most of the days on the boat and explored around everywhere. Maybe on day 2 when I was more comfortable navigating, you can boat out to the barrier reefs and tie to a mooring ball. Great snorkeling there.

If you aren't into boating as much or want more stuff to do on the island, Hopetown is the place to stay. A bunch of small shops, restaurants, bars. Never stayed at Marsh Harbor.

Last edited:
No bonefishing pireps?

Tons of threads on different places to go in the Bahamas. Have you searched through all those already?

I've been to Fresh Creek, Nassau, N. Eleuthera, Governor's Harbor, Great Harbor Cay, Marsh Harbor and Great Exuma. Wherever you go will be a blast. Staying away from Freeport and Nassau unless required always helps put a smile on my face. Bring some tiedown straps and/or chocks if you are going to the smaller islands; they may come in handy - I had to use some rocks for chocks at Fresh Creek. Your exit fees need to be paid in cash at most smaller places and some of the really small islands (Great Harbor in the Berry Islands for instance) not only don't have AVGAS, there is no ATM on the island either.

Fort Pierce (KFPR) is a good airport to use when you return to the US. The Customs building is next door to the FOB (about 40 feet). Very quick in and out service. After landing park in front of the Customs building. Unload your bags and go into the building. They have luggage cards out front. After you are done with Customs, the FBO can fuel and feed you and get you on your way. They have a nice restaurant inside. They also rent Rafts if you need one on your trip.

Tons of threads on different places to go in the Bahamas. Have you searched through all those already?

Staying away from Freeport and Nassau unless required always helps put a smile on my face. Br.

Can't comment on Nassau never been, but I agree about Freeport, took a trip there in December ....for the first and last time !

Customs is easy except it was a PITA when coming back into the states. Nothing too bad, but all the bags have to be taken out of the plane, taken into the building and run through an x-ray scanner.

Ha! They didn't scan my bags.

Jim, I highly recommend going. We went to off-the-beaten track places for more local interaction and quiet (read: zero tourists.) Both ways are great - just chiming in for the walk-off-airstrip-to-private-beach approach.

Jim, I highly recommend going. We went to off-the-beaten track places for more local interaction and quiet (read: zero tourists.) Both ways are great - just chiming in for the walk-off-airstrip-to-private-beach approach.

That's the experience we're looking for.....but with a king size bed :D

Jim

Here is a youtube Video you may like.
HD 1080 Cessna 310 Flying the Bahamas. Landing at Staniel Cay, Farmer's Cay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-aPc-Q6PtA
Both Islands are in the Exuma chain of Islands. They are close to each other.

Serious problem!...If I started doing that, I wouldn't want to come back to Ohio 'til June! Thanks, Scott...great video!

Jim

Jim, I just now saw that you are from Smithville Ohio. I have been there twice. Over the years I have bought 2 planes at your airport. Great town.

Jim, I just now saw that you are from Smithville Ohio. I have been there twice. Over the years I have bought 2 planes at your airport. Great town.

I assume you know Matt and Hank then, Scott? (I'm probably not allowed to say Aircraft Sales, Inc. or Pristine Planes :) Hank finally retired last year....says he's having a blast.

Holler if you get back this way, and we'll have a bite to eat!

Jim

I'm hoping to fly to staniel cay after summer but how do I get there?

Foreflight just barely missed including MYES in the maps. I haven't looked at our clubs 430w to see if MYES is included in the database.

If it isn't then how do I get there? Paper maps and go back to my pilot training days with the flight computer and pencils?

Here is a youtube Video you may like.
HD 1080 Cessna 310 Flying the Bahamas. Landing at Staniel Cay, Farmer's Cay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-aPc-Q6PtA
Both Islands are in the Exuma chain of Islands. They are close to each other.

Foreflight just barely missed including MYES in the maps. I haven't looked at our clubs 430w to see if MYES is included in the database.

If it isn't then how do I get there? Paper maps and go back to my pilot training days with the flight computer and pencils?

If you need a magenta line, get the lat long and make a user defined waypoint.

Been to them all, hate them all.

Last time I went to Eleuthera, it was probably 20 years ago... the southern end was mostly unpopulated. We found a bunch of beaches with no one on them. Could be by ourselves all day. Is that still possible in the Bahamas?

Get WingX - one of many reasons to do so. :yesnod:

Your 430W should have the airport. Mine did.
Also buy the Bahamas Pilot Guide
http://www.pilotpub.com
WAC chart CJ - 25 and 26

Go into Aerial Map mode, then you can pull it into a flight plan. Not much info on the airport tab...:nono:

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll verify that the airports are in the 430w subscription the club has.

And aerial view in foreflight worked too!

Been to them all, hate them all.

For work or leisure? I'd rather do narrowbody caribbean schlepping for the rest of my work life than winter flying anywhere intl or domestic. Of course SJU is my hometown and the old folk are still there, so I have a marked interest in any monthly bid that gets me to SJU. As to flying, IMC arrivals are overrated. As to ground ops, it helps to culturally understand island time in order to not get all bent out of shape at the spartan and seemingly apathetic conduct of business in the islands, from the perspective of a gringo anyways. And if you can't get laid in a PUJ layover with all those carefree and escaping divorcees in the back of the tube looking for a careless bounce "overseas", you're just doing it wrong. Diffrn'strokes for diffrn' folk. :D

As to the Bahamas, they're alright. Being a Caribe native (PR) and seeing what the Lesser antilles offer, it's obviously not gonna woo me. It's definitively a blessing and a curse, having grown up in swaying palm trees and perma summer maritime weather. For mainlanders, it's a great distance-friendly option for GA access, so I'm not gonna diss it. The lack of a language barrier is also a plus for gringos.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll verify that the airports are in the 430w subscription the club has.

And aerial view in foreflight worked too!

east-US and full-US included the bahamas, as does the americas database (full-US plus the rest of the continent). Unless your caribbean adventure doesnt take you outside the bahamas, the aforementioned two US databases will equally work.

I believe wingX and foreflight offer caribbean chart coverage. I'd just buy the paper WAC charts for the caribbean. It won't add much weight/clutter to your otherwise paperless EFB.

No bonefishing pireps?
I go mainly for the bones. Did 3 guided days out of S. Andros. Lots of water with bones throughout Andros. Easy to go out and not see a person all day. Had a great first day and a couple of less than great. Easy to catch when they want your fly, not so easy when they don't... the joy of fishing!

Spent a few days doing nothing on Cat Island - not a lot of bone water but loved Fernandez village. Ran into an AOPA group while there and got my pic in the magazine.

Did some guided and DIY bone fishing on Long Island. Lots of water there. DIY bonefishing has a significant learning curve but can be rewarding. Saw some 10-20 lb Tarpon sucking air in a ditch but didn't investigate further.

Been to Staniel 3 times - great place to stop for a meal, people, swimming pigs, Thunderball grotto, etc. But there is a little tidal creek called Bonefish creek. When it's draining the boat basin, a hundred or more bonefish gather to feed. You can get one if they don't detect you but getting more has been impossible for me. Sort of like trout in a heavily fished public park. Looks like shooting fish in the barrel but it's not.

Bonefish are like carp, they are everywhere. You can get a guide and a boat and chase pods of them on pristine flats or target the big ones as they nose around some mangroves. Or you can find a beach, find a spot of shade, drink something cool, note the tides and look. As your eyes adjust you are likely to see a fish or two come to you. Catchable? Who knows but what's the hurry?

MYES and the rest of the bahamas and most of the Carribean appear on FF's World Aeronautical charts - they've always been there, look again.

I'm headed to the BVI's for some boating and Anegada for some fishing. May hit one of the out-out Bahama islands on the way back - Acklins, Inaqua, Mayaguana. We'll see.

Time to chill and get on island time.

For work or leisure? I'd rather do narrowbody caribbean schlepping for the rest of my work life than winter flying anywhere intl or domestic. Of course SJU is my hometown and the old folk are still there, so I have a marked interest in any monthly bid that gets me to SJU. As to flying, IMC arrivals are overrated. As to ground ops, it helps to culturally understand island time in order to not get all bent out of shape at the spartan and seemingly apathetic conduct of business in the islands, from the perspective of a gringo anyways. And if you can't get laid in a PUJ layover with all those carefree and escaping divorcees in the back of the tube looking for a careless bounce "overseas", you're just doing it wrong. Diffrn'strokes for diffrn' folk. :D

As to the Bahamas, they're alright. Being a Caribe native (PR) and seeing what the Lesser antilles offer, it's obviously not gonna woo me. It's definitively a blessing and a curse, having grown up in swaying palm trees and perma summer maritime weather. For mainlanders, it's a great distance-friendly option for GA access, so I'm not gonna diss it. The lack of a language barrier is also a plus for gringos.

My old job.. We constantly went to all the islands, including further out to eastern Caribbean. Sometimes we would layover there, sometimes just a turn. If you stay on resort property things are usually fine. Leave the property?? No thanks.

Back