Bag/organizer for logbooks

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
My aircraft logbooks and associated paperwork have been in this ripped zipper bag since I bought the plane. Every time I look at it I’ve thought I should do something about that and never gotten to it….

What does everyone else keep their pile of logs and misc docs in?

216049C3-1EC9-4110-A3AF-AF5B73D3E3A9.jpeg

In the safe deposit box. Scanned copies on a DVD at home, 2nd DVD in the airplane, 3rd DVD in the safe deposit box with the books.

I got one of those large school 3 ring binders that zip up. I got individual plastic 3 hole folders with closeable pockets in there. One folder each for prop, engine, airframe.

I have another one for all the 337s, airworthiness stuff, IAWs, etc., even stuff that’s been removed, including old W&Bs. I have my appraisal stuff, oil analysis, and even FAA CD, etc., in there.

I keep small folio that has the 3 active log books.

I have a regular 3 ring that has all the avionics manuals. I have another for all the engine reference stuff that I like to know (much of these last 2 binders were printed off the internet.

Previous owner of mine got a plastic tub made for file folders, kinda like this:
81E2KzPGwuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I store all my logbooks and records in there. It's pretty well waterproof and rodent resistant (don't think any thing is rodent proof...), and easy to bring home when I need to. I do scan my logbooks every now & then and a copy gets uploaded "to the cloud". I normally keep the box in the hangar. I figure if the records get destroyed, the plane probably did too. Also makes it handy to show to my mechanic or put his stickers in there immediately when I bring the plane back from the shop. Only bad part is it's getting kind of stuffed and I'm probably going to have to buy a second one.

I keep the logs to the Archer in a nylon zipper bag and put it in a fireproof safe.

Tupperware

but scanned to a PDF because I’m too poor for log book insurance ;)

For those of you who have digitized.... I have all these bound books with larger folded stacks of paper paperclipped or stapled in at various locations. I assume you had to use a flatbed scanner- did you also go through and un-staple/de-paperclip all those extra packets of stuff as well? I see the value in having a digital copy but it seems like a heck of an undertaking.

Really I was just thinking about finding another plastic water-resistant pouch that's not ripped to stuff everything back into. I've always kept mine in the plane in case I need to get work done while traveling and under the assumption that any scenario that destroyed the books would also likely destroy the plane with them.

For those of you who have digitized.... I have all these bound books with larger folded stacks of paper paperclipped or stapled in at various locations. I assume you had to use a flatbed scanner- did you also go through and un-staple/de-paperclip all those extra packets of stuff as well? I see the value in having a digital copy but it seems like a heck of an undertaking.

Really I was just thinking about finding another plastic water-resistant pouch that's not ripped to stuff everything back into. I've always kept mine in the plane in case I need to get work done while traveling and under the assumption that any scenario that destroyed the books would also likely destroy the plane with them.

Works well

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/genius-scan-pdf-scanner-app/id377672876

Uses the camera on your phone to make a quick pdf, after a oil change I’ll take a shot and add to my pdf book with a free open source one called pdfmerge (https://pdfsam.org/) when I get home

Easy and fast

I picked up a used pilot’s flight bag (one of those big square chart cases) in an antique shop for a few dollars. All my plane’s maintenance records, logs, receipts, etc. are kept in it.

I thought it a neat homage that some retired or deceased captain’s flight bag still had an aviation purpose.

ADLog

one binder kept in a plastic tote in the hangar. All the old stuff in a file cabinet in the house.

My aircraft logbooks and associated paperwork have been in this ripped zipper bag since I bought the plane. Every time I look at it I’ve thought I should do something about that and never gotten to it….

What does everyone else keep their pile of logs and misc docs in?

View attachment 112602
After 35 years the previous owner gave me a little zippered bag about an inch thick with 3 log books in it and hardly any receipts. The plane was all original with no upgrades so no 337s or STCs. He warned me to keep it safe. Logs were mostly complete. It only flew 1400hrs in the previous 35 years.
4 years and almost 1000 hrs later my logs have swelled.
I have kept my logs and receipts in 3 different flight bags as they grew.
Recently bought this sentry safe to help protect from fire. I think I can fit all that paperwork in the box?

Last edited:
Other than the journey logbook (which is on the plane), all other logbooks are with my mechanic, locked in a fireproof safe.

In the safe deposit box. Scanned copies on a DVD at home, 2nd DVD in the airplane, 3rd DVD in the safe deposit box with the books.

Who has DVD writer/readers anymore??? :D

Thumb drive

You can get a fireproof zippered pouch on Amazon

Last edited:
Back