Bag handler gone flying

Well he has to find some way to hitch a ride and see that new lady he met on the internet...:rolleyes:

Not the first time, and it will be FAR from the last.

Ramper does the download, waits to stack the upload and falls asleep. (NOT unusual at all, and a COMMON way to catch a nap, for at least 70 years!) Busy ramp, lots of bustle, no one notices he's gone.
Light upload, all goes in one bay, rushed ramper locks the hold without clearing it, and the guy is still blissfully snoring away inside. Sometime between takeoff power and rotation he wakes up and realizes he's screwed, and sits back for another nap, while trying to think of how he is going to explain this when he gets to the other end.

Next day, every sup and manager at the station gets called in for an emergency meeting, with just about the entire Corporate Safety Department there to greet them. Then the REAL schitstorm ensues. (ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS....)

Everyone who has ever worked an airline ramp has an "I know a guy, who knows a guy..." story about this. It usually comes out right after the Lav Dumping stories, which usually comes out right after someone dumps a lav all over themselves.

I had that pleasure for the first time last week...
REAL men don't use face shields while dumping a Lav, right?
Welcome to the airline business. You have not been properly initiated until you have dumped a Lav all over yourself. And EVRYONE eventually does it.

The news this morning said the guy has hired a lawyer.

I thought it was United's new ultraeconomy fare.
You don't get any carry-ons, but you have to check yourself.

REAL men don't use face shields while dumping a Lav, right?
Welcome to the airline business. You have not been properly initiated until you have dumped a Lav all over yourself. And EVRYONE eventually does it.

FBO/line service but I have serviced 737 lavs. At least it was a private jet's lav that decided to drop on me - the experience was unpleasant but I felt my credit score go up!

Most likely contract ramp service. Those folks make nothing and the last thing they want is to pay union dues.
Article says he was an employee of a contractor. He doesn't need a lawyer, he needs a job! :rolleyes:
"The statement says once at the gate, an employee of the airline’s ground handling vendor was found in the cargo area."

Sorry...I'll add a sarcasm smiley...

No apology needed. Most, if not all, of those contractors are nonunion. Airlines save bucks using them vs their own employees who would be better paid and have benefits.

I interviewed once with Jetstream Ground Services until I found out the pay was $10.50 an hour, then I left. They have since raised the pay to $11 but their reputation still precedes them as being a bad company to work for. The airport is too far for me to drive for that pay on 20 mpg.

On submarines, we never close out a tank or hold until 2 people inspect it, the second being an officer. Never left anyone in a tank. Sounds like this airline needs to implement something like this.

Oh, they do. You'd just need to root around in the baggage to find something to use to access them.
Even the newer fly-by-wire stuff? Do the Embraers use cables with some kind of motor assist?

This was an E175. The E175E and it's big brothers are fly by wire. The actuators are out in the tail. Nothing but wiring between the cockpit and the aft electronics bay and then to the actuators. Even in fall-back (direct) mode, there's no mechanical connection.

The competing CRJ line uses hydraulic connections to the primary flight controls. Again nothing to grab on to from the cargo hold.

Now what he could do is probably screw around with some of the wiring and cause problems.

On submarines, we never close out a tank or hold until 2 people inspect it, the second being an officer. Never left anyone in a tank. Sounds like this airline needs to implement something like this.
SOP anywhere I worked was that the person closing the door to the bin has to visually clear it, first, ensuring that everything is strapped or stacked correctly.

Doesn't mean, when they are in a rush, that they actually follow through. Humans, after all.

You know the guy refused medical care, I wonder if this is another case where a breathalyzer would have sussed out a problem.

The news this morning said the guy has hired a lawyer.

Because personal responsibility is soooo last century.

I wonder if he got participation awards in school. Ya knows, because everyone is a winner.

Actually a lawyer isn't necessarily a bad idea. He could get charged with being a stowaway and that falls under the US criminal code. Yeah, he can claim he fell asleep but that doesn't mean that the federal prosecutor will let it slide.

If he is getting a lawyer for unlawful termination, well he most likely will not prevail there.

Actually a lawyer isn't necessarily a bad idea. He could get charged with being a stowaway and that falls under the US criminal code. Yeah, he can claim he fell asleep but that doesn't mean that the federal prosecutor will let it slide.

If he is getting a lawyer for unlawful termination, well he most likely will not prevail there.

I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that would even be on the table. If you even tried to brief the case, they'd be like, "You're kidding me, right?"

Back