Bad ELF and Kendle

To the best of my knowledge, no. I have one, great product, but iPad only.

Kindle Fire doesn't have bluetooth...

Good point. I assumed the Bad Elf pro with Bluetooth. The regular Bad Elf uses the iPad plug or an adapter for the lightning plug, so it won't work with another product.

Amazon may have added bluetooth to the Kindle fire HD. I've owned both a Kindle Fire and a Nexus 7; no way that I'd try to use the Fire for navigation - especially as delivered. I was able to turn the Fire into a half decent tablet, but it involved wiping the original OS and starting over. Even then, it wasn't nearly as good as the Nexus 7.

My $.02

Who cares when there are better alternatives for little or no more money??

I do not understand the purpose of this product. All the cell smartphones I had used have an internal GPS that works very well. And I see that tablets have internal GPS also. So where do you use the Bad Elf?.

José

I do not understand the purpose of this product. All the cell smartphones I had used have an internal GPS that works very well. And I see that tablets have internal GPS also. So where do you use the Bad Elf?.

José

I believe the non-3G ipads(wifi only) have no internal GPS. Thus the market.

I believe the non-3G ipads(wifi only) have no internal GPS. Thus the market.

Thanks for the info. Just like portable digital cameras, road GPS, calculator, I pod, alarm clock and other smartphone applications, the Bad Elf is going to obsolescence. I am very impress with all these functions integrated into the Samsung S3 and other similar smartphones. Were before when I was on a trip I had to carry a camera, road GPS, alarm clock, cell phone and a lap top, today I only need to carry a smartphone. And I can inmediately email my trip pictures or talk/video via Skype. No wonder these things are selling like hot cakes.

And I thought the eight track player and the color TV were the greatest gadget invented.

José

Thanks for the info. Just like portable digital cameras, road GPS, calculator, I pod, alarm clock and other smartphone applications, the Bad Elf is going to obsolescence. I am very impress with all these functions integrated into the Samsung S3 and other similar smartphones. Were before when I was on a trip I had to carry a camera, road GPS, alarm clock, cell phone and a lap top, today I only need to carry a smartphone. And I can inmediately email my trip pictures or talk/video via Skype. No wonder these things are selling like hot cakes.

And I thought the eight track player and the color TV were the greatest gadget invented.

José
i don't think the Bad Elf Pro will be obsolete for a while. It makes a great data logger, with 30 hours continuous use before the battery runs out. Great for geotagging or other things where a GPS track is useful. No tablet or phone gives that sort of life. As they add battery capacity, they also add power-sucking features to the phones and tablets.

Thanks for the info. Just like portable digital cameras, road GPS, calculator, I pod, alarm clock and other smartphone applications, the Bad Elf is going to obsolescence.

On that theory, so is the iPad and smartphone itself. Everything technological eventually becomes obsolete as it is supplanted by better technology.

But if you are talking near term, as one who is on his second iPad without a GPS chip, I'm not as sure as you are. And others have reported at least intermittent issues with the reliability on the internal GPS in flight, one of the reasons for an external receiver that can be tossed on the glare shield.

There may be less use of one as pilots buy in to ADS-B receivers, which also include GPS location capability but for those who don't an external GPS remains a viable choice given the current tablet choices.

i don't think the Bad Elf Pro will be obsolete for a while. It makes a great data logger, with 30 hours continuous use before the battery runs out. Great for geotagging or other things where a GPS track is useful. No tablet or phone gives that sort of life. As they add battery capacity, they also add power-sucking features to the phones and tablets.

No doubt there will be some for a need like that. But for when going camping the satellite view overlayed on the smartphone GPS map helps a lot in finding camping grounds and other sites not normally shown on a map. Great feature. Not to mention the talking lady giving you directions. Try that with the Bad Elf.

José

No doubt there will be some for a need like that. But for when going camping the satellite view overlayed on the smartphone GPS map helps a lot in finding camping grounds and other sites not normally shown on a map. Great feature. Not to mention the talking lady giving you directions. Try that with the Bad Elf.

José

Why wouldn't that work with the BadElf?

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the unit dies. All it does is add GPS capability to a tablet that doesn't already have it or enhance the GPS capability of one that does.

I stopped using my external GPS with my tablet in flight because I moved up to an ADS-B capable unit, but still use is for other apps that use GPS.

Back