Backup/cloning solutions

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
I trust the Geeks here more than talking to big box computer sales staff. What do I need to backup my Windows 10 HP ssd computer? I'm thinking cloning software. I've used Norton Ghost on my old PC, but hated it because it was too complicated for me. I can't even understand most of the jargon in the threads here when I researched for an answer. Need something simple — push a button, copy made to thumb drive or external drive, unplug and done. Any advice?

For what it's worth, I only back up data. I use 3x Western Digital terabyte drives and copy the data to them. I've the CD's for MS office, my other programs are downloaded. If my computer dies now (it's rather old), I'll just buy a new one with an updated operating system and install everything fresh, and restore the data.

Foxclone will clone your complete hd/ssd to another one of similar or larger size, or you can back a full drive (including OS/partitions) up to a file on a different drive. I've had good luck with it for awhile now....

Jim

I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for a while to clone/image hard drives as needed. Looks like their paid version ($75) offers scheduled and incremental backup which you might want, otherwise the free version is good for doing 1 off images every now and then.
Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

My recommendation would be a network attached storage (NAS) solution with a dual RAID drive setup (which provides a second drive that mirrors a copy to the primary drive in case of drive corruption or failure). Most of these are simple to setup, just attach to your home network (ethernet wired to the router is fastest) and it will show up as another drive to use. This will provide local storage and backup. You can supplement this with off-site cloud storage backup for critical files.

If you want a NAS, consider using TrueNAS (fomerly FreeNAS). It is still free and will work on an old Desktop computer although it will work better on some new hardware. It is a very professional product considering its price.

Clonezilla has to be the best cloning software out there. It is super simple and makes a complete restorable copy of the entire machine. Free and open source.

Macrium Reflect is my favorite commercial backup. It has never failed me.

Back