Back to training...

Approaches are pretty stable, its just that last couple of feet....I'm sure I'll get it soon enough, may just need a day where I'm not getting bounced all over the place

I went through something similar. I flew every morning for a week in 15 knot crosswinds and as a result got real good at holding centerline but had trouble getting the flare just right. Then the next week came out and the winds were 5 knots down the runway and it made landing a cakewalk in comparison. Itll come.

I'll be flying with a small club, Positive Rate Gear Up. They have 2 Warriors, an Archer, an Arrow and a Tomahawk. The planes are over on Charlie Ramp.

Trauma hawks....I flew one in Canada in 1978. Incipient spins were part of PTS. They were primed for full spins......went through two.

Added another 2.1 hours on the Hobbs today. Thought I might get to solo but the winds were a little stiff @ 15G22. Did some crosswind touch and goes as well as about .5 of hood time. Also did some steep turns, climbing turns and descending turns.

Landing were much better today, only had one where I flared to early....Getting there...

Don't forget.... Learning to take off was just the first $100-150 of your training budget.

Learning to land is eating up the remaining money :rofl:

I got my 1st supervised solo in yesterday!!!

I was also supposed to take my written yesterday afternoon but got to the site and they didn't have a proctor available :( Hope the government gets back to work in the next 4-6 weeks

Awesome! Good luck to you! I fly out of KISP, and its very cool learning in such busy airspace.

Congratulations! Very exciting!

I'm not surprised they didn't have a proctor available, but still don't quite get that because they have video cameras in the room. I hope you get to take it soon!

Got my 1st dual cross country in today. Flight was from KFRG to KPOU. I will most likely do my 2nd dual cross country (KFRG to KGON) tomorrow around noon.

I'm now at 33.5 total hours and hope to have the remaining requirements completed in the next 20 hours of so.

After a week of ****ty weather here in the northeast it looks like next week will actually allow for some flying. I have 4 lessons scheduled and hope to complete the following:

2nd Supervised Solo
1st Solo XC
Dual Night XC

Last edited:
Well, today's lesson was cancelled (9am-noon) for winds 14G21kt :(

Tomorrow I have the plane scheduled from noon-5pm. Hope to get the Supervised Solo and the XC Solo done tomorrow

Tomorrow I have the plane scheduled from noon-5pm. Hope to get the Supervised Solo and the XC Solo done tomorrow

Bummer on the lessons being canceled for that wind condition...

But once you do have the license, do grab your CFI and do some flying in those winds. Pre license, we all can understand the why for the school's limitations. Post license, you need the experience and the confidence builder.

I've been up with the instructor in winds like this they just don't want us solo in these gusty winds

Both?

That seems a bit much.

Fatigue is a significant issue, and it can kick in really early for a student pilot. It's more of an issue when you're solo (as a student).

Your instructor and you decide this, but I'd suggest doing those on different days, or at least with a significant rest in between.

Please don't be in a hurry so much that you take extra risks.

Winds are often calmer in the mornings.

Last edited:
Aww bummer about those winds! They were much calmer in the late afternoon when I went up. But it looks good for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Well I was able to get my 2nd Supervised Solo in this afternoon. 1.3 hours on the Hobbs. Unfortunately the clouds rolled in and ceiling started to drop so the xc was out of the question. I did get to head out to the south practice area for another hour on the Hobbs.

2.3 hours of PIC today :)

Looks like I'll be able to do my 1st Solo XC today to KPOU :)

Wow thats awesome just read your thread you are moving along quickly. I just finished up a few months ago and that first solo xc really makes it worth while very cool!

Good Luck. Have Fun and enjoy the ride.

I have to say I love training at FRG.....except for days like today, .9 hours on the Hobbs from engine start to departure :mad2:

2.4 hours on the Hobbs for my XC to KPOU....cha ching $$$

I have to say I love training at FRG.....except for days like today, .9 hours on the Hobbs from engine start to departure :mad2:

2.4 hours on the Hobbs for my XC to KPOU....cha ching $$$

Last time I was in KFRG was in 2003. No hold times back then. Only once we taxied to active few minutes before tower opened. When tower did open, they told us to taxi to another side of airport.

Some pictures from my solo xc from KFRG to KPOU

Attachments

• DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC00251.JPG
    DSC00251.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Did my 2nd solo xc this morning. KFRG to KGON in 2.1 Hobbs hours.

Next up is my dual night xc and my long solo xc

So how are you liking all this time in the air by yourself?

For me, it was loads of fun and I was finally understanding what all of the other flying addicts were going on about.

So how are you liking all this time in the air by yourself?

For me, it was loads of fun and I was finally understanding what all of the other flying addicts were going on about.
I love it but still anxious to get my ticket so that I have more freedom :)

Weather was gorgeous out tonight and I completed my Night XC, KFRG to KHFD

All that's left is my Long Solo XC and some check ride prep. Unfortunately, weather looks like it will not be cooperating much over the next 10 days :(

Took my written at lunch today.....61 questions in 50 minutes....scored an 88

Was hoping to get in the 90's but all I needed was a 70 :)

Took my written at lunch today.....61 questions in 50 minutes....scored an 88

Was hoping to get in the 90's but all I needed was a 70 :)

Congrats and well done - that's exactly what my CFI said, too, about the 70%. "...if you were doing the high jump, you just need to clear the bar not jump over the moon." Always gave me a chuckle and took some of the pressure off. :lol:

I hope to be able to do my Long XC Saturday after Thanksgiving, we'll see if weather cooperates. Once that's done, it's time to schedule the check ride

Checkride is scheduled for Monday December 23rd.....getting my certificate would be a really nice Christmas present :)

Congrats...moving along nice and quick!!! That would make a great Christmas present,hopefully everything works out. Getting to bring someone along for a ride on Christmas would be awesome!

Checkride was today, weather did not cooperate. I did the Oral and rescheduled the Practical until 12/31........I still hope to be a pilot by the end of the year.

Had what was hopefully my last checkride prep flight this morning. Practical test is scheduled to 9:30am tomorrow......fingers crossed

Had what was hopefully my last checkride prep flight this morning. Practical test is scheduled to 9:30am tomorrow......fingers crossed

Good luck, maybe we will both be certificated before the ball drops.

Back