Back in the saddle!

Dale - I'm thinking your ramp check deserves its own thread.
I haven't been following your "saddle" adventures, but the FSDO line in a thread preview caught my eye ... and I have questions! ;)

Asking about you performing a W&B - Can they ask that? (of course)
Do you have to answer? (no, but it might make life easier)
Is the performance of such required? (honestly, I don't remember; and must it be *immediately* before?)

I've started a new thread for it. You're right, it does deserve its own.

I did my long solo X/C yesterday. It was a pretty interesting ride.

The original flight plan was for KMLE to KGRI (Grand Island, NE), a distance of 100nm navigating by VOR and pilotage. From there to KFSD (Sioux Falls), 172nm, also by VOR. From KFSD I planend to go to KAIO - Atlantic, IA, 151nm. I planned to use the GPS and/or pilotage for that -- meaning pilotage, but I might cheat and cross check with the GPS. Form there I'd make the short hop back to KMLE by following the route I've driven countless times. It would take me through KOMA's C airspace, giving me a little more radio work practice.

Weather looked OK for the trip. There was some rain south of GRI moving west, but it was going to stay south of my path. There was also rain between GRI and FSD, but it looked like it would be clear of my route by the time I got there. This was not to be the case.

Landing ar GRI was less than stellar. The runway there is twice as wide as I'm used to, and when the grass disappears from your peripheral vision it's tough to convince yourself you're still not on the ground. I landed OK, but there was an authoritative thump. I had planned a stop & go, but had forgotten to tell the tower that... or the fact that I was on my solo X/C. I taxied over to the FBO and spent a couple of minutes re-hydrating and de-shaking. It was my first solo landing anywhere other than KMLE and I had just dropped in rather unceremoniously, so I was a little keyed up.

All the mistakes I made, I made at KGRI. I didn't tell them I was a student on a solo X/C. The landing there was the worst of the day. I had also told the tower when I contacted them that I was 7 west... no, I was 7 east. I made the correction, but apparently the controller didn't hear that! He was looking for me to the west and didn't' see me until I was crossing mid-field. I told him I'd been mistaken but had corrected, which he may not have heard... he was laughing when he asked if that "W" on the compass had confused me.

Takeoff was fine, but getting to KFSD was interesting. There was significant precipitation along the path, which I could tell I'd miss most of. I was a little surprised to see it still west of my path, since I'd thought it would be well past there by now. Still, none of it looked severe, just rain. I did fly through a little rain (another first for me) but I was well below the cloud layer and could see through it. At one point, though, I watched as my altimeter spun from 5500 to 7000 faster than the airplane could possibly climb. MN Center asked my altitude. I asked for a new alitmeter setting, told them I must have crossed a front or something, because I was flying straight & level but my altimeter had just climbed 1500' rather abruptly. Nope, they said they showed me at 7100. I boogied back down to 5500. Apparently I'd caught a pretty big updraft, but it was very smooth, no turbulence at all. I landed at KFSD and taxied over to Maverick Air -- great service there. I refueled and checked the weather; it was not pretty at all. There was a line of storms headed right into my proposed flight path to KAIO, and now a conductive SIGMET to the south of FSD.

I waited about an hour, checking radar as I did. I checked with my CFI... I was thinking I'd just go back the way I came and pass behind the storms to the west. He told me to head to KONL (O'Neil, NE) for my third airport, then head south and turn east when I was clear of the storms. By now it was getting a little later in the day than we'd have liked. Getting back home before dark would be "iffy", and I don't have a logbook endorsement for solo night landings. So I guess I'd have to either hurry up, or circle until morning. :rolleyes2:

Took off from FSD and headed direct to ONL on a VOR radial. Oddly, there was no information I could find about the runways at ONL. Nothing on the sectional, AND nothing in the AFD. Oops. AWOS said 4/22 was now officially open, so I planned to enter a downwind for 4 (winds were 100 at 5k). As I got the airport in sight, though, I saw that 4/22 was a brand new, shorter crosswind runway. I overflew and saw that 13/31 was a good choice, so I did a stop & go on 13 and was off to the races.

By now I had a text from my instructor. Radar showed clear weather for direct to KMLE. It was clear, but very hazy -- I would say visibility was 10 miles at best, maybe less in places. It had been hazy all day, and wasn't getting any less so. I wasted no time getting back home and landed just under the wire for what could be called a daytime landing... although I did turn the lights on. I was legal with about five minutes to spare. I got to see a ton of fireworks going off as I got back over the Omaha burbs; it was pretty cool as a "big picture" although the fireworks themselves would be better seen from the ground. Certainly the cool factor of seeing EVERYONE's fireworks from the air instead of just what you can see from the ground, makes it worth doing at least once.

Hood time! Well, foggle time.

This morning we did 1.7 of flight by reference to instruments. It took me a while to get a feel for keeping things in control once I couldn't see the horizon, but after a while it got to be pretty much OK. After a short field takeoff & landing followed by a soft field takeoff & landing, I did one more soft field and he had me put the foggles on at about 200'. We turned west and climbed, then it was time for the fun to begin.

Level shallow turns left & right. Level standard turns left & right. Level steep turns left & right. Departure and approach stalls, slow flight, climbing and descending turns, straight ahead climb & descent. The more I did, the more comfortable I was with it. My first steep turn with no visual reference was pretty bad, but once I started paying attention to the center of the AI things got a lot better. I was actually a little less uncomfortable with power on stalls with the foggles than without... of course I was not about to let that stall fully break, either.

We then followed the Omaha VOR through the C airspace, talking to Omaha approach. Once we passed the VOR I turned back and picked up the radial from there back toward Millard. My instructor vectored me until I was about 400' on final approach and I did a no-flap landing, still made the second turn off the runway as I would normally have.

All that remains now is another .7 of instrument, and I have to hop over to KOMA for my last solo landing & takeoff at a towered airport. I've landed there many times, just not solo, so I'll ask them for the option and do a stop & go. After that, it's getting to be about checkride time.

Switching between instructors at the first flight school cost me a few hours. The T&G instructor fiasco at the second school set me back about a month and 8 hours of flying. Transitioning from the Cherokee to the 182 cost about another 3 or 4 before I comfortable and so was the instructor. I figure if I'd been able to stick with one flight school, one instructor and one model through training I'd be right around 40 hours now. As it is I've got 54 total, and I'll be at probably between 57 and 60 for the checkride. Not as good as I'd hoped, but not too bad considering the various challenges.

Congrats - sounds like you're making good progress. You'll be finished up in no time.

I'd say you're right on schedule. Your path is your path.

I did my long solo X/C yesterday. It was a pretty interesting ride.

The original flight plan was for KMLE to KGRI (Grand Island, NE), a distance of 100nm navigating by VOR and pilotage. From there to KFSD (Sioux Falls), 172nm, also by VOR. From KFSD I planend to go to KAIO - Atlantic, IA, 151nm. I planned to use the GPS and/or pilotage for that -- meaning pilotage, but I might cheat and cross check with the GPS. Form there I'd make the short hop back to KMLE by following the route I've driven countless times. It would take me through KOMA's C airspace, giving me a little more radio work practice.

Weather looked OK for the trip. There was some rain south of GRI moving west, but it was going to stay south of my path. There was also rain between GRI and FSD, but it looked like it would be clear of my route by the time I got there. This was not to be the case.

Landing ar GRI was less than stellar. The runway there is twice as wide as I'm used to, and when the grass disappears from your peripheral vision it's tough to convince yourself you're still not on the ground. I landed OK, but there was an authoritative thump. I had planned a stop & go, but had forgotten to tell the tower that... or the fact that I was on my solo X/C. I taxied over to the FBO and spent a couple of minutes re-hydrating and de-shaking. It was my first solo landing anywhere other than KMLE and I had just dropped in rather unceremoniously, so I was a little keyed up.

All the mistakes I made, I made at KGRI. I didn't tell them I was a student on a solo X/C. The landing there was the worst of the day. I had also told the tower when I contacted them that I was 7 west... no, I was 7 east. I made the correction, but apparently the controller didn't hear that! He was looking for me to the west and didn't' see me until I was crossing mid-field. I told him I'd been mistaken but had corrected, which he may not have heard... he was laughing when he asked if that "W" on the compass had confused me.

Takeoff was fine, but getting to KFSD was interesting. There was significant precipitation along the path, which I could tell I'd miss most of. I was a little surprised to see it still west of my path, since I'd thought it would be well past there by now. Still, none of it looked severe, just rain. I did fly through a little rain (another first for me) but I was well below the cloud layer and could see through it. At one point, though, I watched as my altimeter spun from 5500 to 7000 faster than the airplane could possibly climb. MN Center asked my altitude. I asked for a new alitmeter setting, told them I must have crossed a front or something, because I was flying straight & level but my altimeter had just climbed 1500' rather abruptly. Nope, they said they showed me at 7100. I boogied back down to 5500. Apparently I'd caught a pretty big updraft, but it was very smooth, no turbulence at all. I landed at KFSD and taxied over to Maverick Air -- great service there. I refueled and checked the weather; it was not pretty at all. There was a line of storms headed right into my proposed flight path to KAIO, and now a conductive SIGMET to the south of FSD.

I waited about an hour, checking radar as I did. I checked with my CFI... I was thinking I'd just go back the way I came and pass behind the storms to the west. He told me to head to KONL (O'Neil, NE) for my third airport, then head south and turn east when I was clear of the storms. By now it was getting a little later in the day than we'd have liked. Getting back home before dark would be "iffy", and I don't have a logbook endorsement for solo night landings. So I guess I'd have to either hurry up, or circle until morning. :rolleyes2:

Took off from FSD and headed direct to ONL on a VOR radial. Oddly, there was no information I could find about the runways at ONL. Nothing on the sectional, AND nothing in the AFD. Oops. AWOS said 4/22 was now officially open, so I planned to enter a downwind for 4 (winds were 100 at 5k). As I got the airport in sight, though, I saw that 4/22 was a brand new, shorter crosswind runway. I overflew and saw that 13/31 was a good choice, so I did a stop & go on 13 and was off to the races.

By now I had a text from my instructor. Radar showed clear weather for direct to KMLE. It was clear, but very hazy -- I would say visibility was 10 miles at best, maybe less in places. It had been hazy all day, and wasn't getting any less so. I wasted no time getting back home and landed just under the wire for what could be called a daytime landing... although I did turn the lights on. I was legal with about five minutes to spare. I got to see a ton of fireworks going off as I got back over the Omaha burbs; it was pretty cool as a "big picture" although the fireworks themselves would be better seen from the ground. Certainly the cool factor of seeing EVERYONE's fireworks from the air instead of just what you can see from the ground, makes it worth doing at least once.

If you saw fireworks, that must have been dark? I have a fireworks thread but everyone said it was a let down to see them from the air. Sounds like you thought it was cool however. Then again, you were on your solo XC which makes everything 1,000 times cooler!

If you saw fireworks, that must have been dark? I have a fireworks thread but everyone said it was a let down to see them from the air. Sounds like you thought it was cool however. Then again, you were on your solo XC which makes everything 1,000 times cooler!
Indeed! I would have to agree that an individual fireworks show is probably better enjoyed from ground level. However, from the air you can see fireworks all over -- which is very cool.

It was what I would call "dark" when I got back, but it was still just shy of what the FAA calls "night time". IOW, it wouldn't have been legal for me to log it as night flight or landing. But -- five minutes later and it wouldn't have been legal to call it daytime, either. :) The fact that it was REALLY hazy and there was some high overcast to the west didn't help either.

Went up again this morning to get my last .7 of hood time, which went as expected. No surprises. We did ground reference maneuvers first, there was just enough wind to make it a small challenge (like, enough to notice but not so much it was actually hard). Hood time was OK, no stalls today but we did unusual attitudes. Then there was VOR nav and a no-flap landing at MLE to finish.

CFI was in rare form today, he pulled the throttle no less than three times on me. Once at 250' AGL or so after takeoff -- no big deal, there's a sod farm straight ahead. I got the engine back about 100 AGL (I could be wrong, I was looking out the windshield and glancing at the ASI, forget the altitude indicator at that height). On the next takeoff we were about 50' up, if that, fortunately with enough runway for a smooth landing and taxi back. Then once on downwind... like that's a challenge, I just turned base a smidge sooner and slipped a little on final so I could still put it close to the numbers.

And I found out my instructor is moving in a couple of weeks. At least I'll have my certificate by then!

Went up again this morning to get my last .7 of hood time, which went as expected. No surprises. We did ground reference maneuvers first, there was just enough wind to make it a small challenge (like, enough to notice but not so much it was actually hard). Hood time was OK, no stalls today but we did unusual attitudes. Then there was VOR nav and a no-flap landing at MLE to finish.

CFI was in rare form today, he pulled the throttle no less than three times on me. Once at 250' AGL or so after takeoff -- no big deal, there's a sod farm straight ahead. I got the engine back about 100 AGL (I could be wrong, I was looking out the windshield and glancing at the ASI, forget the altitude indicator at that height). On the next takeoff we were about 50' up, if that, fortunately with enough runway for a smooth landing and taxi back. Then once on downwind... like that's a challenge, I just turned base a smidge sooner and slipped a little on final so I could still put it close to the numbers.

And I found out my instructor is moving in a couple of weeks. At least I'll have my certificate by then!

You will - ? Did I miss something? When is your appointment with the DPE (sorry, tired this morning)?

I don't have the date yet. After we flew this morning my instructor and I sat down and went over some airspace and regulatory stuff, VFR minimums, etc. He's going to contact the DPE he wants me to use and we'll set up the check ride for one day next week. Weather has been very hot and humid lately but pretty stable, winds very manageable, so with any luck that will continue for a while.

I also talked to the club maintenance guy this morning. I've noticed an occasional miss in the engine and want to get that looked at. It hasn't been enough to call off a flight, but once in a while you'll get a little "stumble", RPM drops maybe 25-50 RPM for half a sec. It's enough to get your attention when it happens in level flight, and it's enough to increase the pucker factor when it happens 300 AGL on climb out from a remote airport on a student solo cross country. :yikes:

Back