back in the left seat

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
After 7 years off I decided to get back into flying now that life has slowed down a bit LOL Just finished my BFR yesterday.

I am overwhelmed by all the new tech toys on the market!! WOW I have a ipad mini but its just a 16g wifi. I have been looking at taking it up in the rented 172 but not sure how it will perform. It seems to me that a higher gig would be helpful also should it be wifi-4G?

How many of you guys/ladies use a ipad in a rental plane?

BTW awesome forum, I have been enjoying reading.

I have the iPad 3 32GB Cellular, and just purchased an iPad mini 32GB Cellular. My previous experience was with an iPad 16GB WiFi only.

The iPad 16GB WiFI was sufficient for flying with reasonable cost, using Foreflight software. However, 1) I needed an external GPS antenna connected via bluetooth to have location services enabling the Foreflight software to track my progress in air (to know where I am); and 2) I needed to have access to a WiFi internet connection to take advantage of weather briefing, filing flight plans, nexrad, etc. No big problem, just a hassle for me. The 16 GB was sufficient as long as I didn't load up a lot of apps, data, documents, photographs, etc.

Having the 4G LTE cellular capability is really nice. I am connected to the internet just about anywhere I happen to be (except in the air above 1500 ft. AGL). Plus the internal GPS antenna is nice as well; you don't get that on a WiFi only unit.

Another consideration now days is with all the ADS-B antennas and features out there on the market today, you may find that the WiFi only is fine since you may opt for one of those devices like the Stratus, Clarity, or Garmin that also give you WAAS, a more precise location than what you get with the internal GPS antenna on the iPad cellular units.

I got the iPad mini because the iPad 3 takes up a lot of real estate in my 182. And my iPhone is hard on the eyes. So the mini fits just right. Small enough to not take up a lot of room, but large enough to see the maps and all the information you need.

So, my recommendation is to stick with your iPad mini for a while and then reassess after you have been flying for a while. It will work just fine for now. Look at all the different packages out there and you will find that most of them offer a 30 free demo trial. I tried them all and found Foreflight works best for me. Check out Fltplan.com. Their app is free!

You should have plenty of room on the 16GB as long as you don't store a lot of photo, videos, etc.

Something to consider: all the tech toys don't make the airplane fly better. It'll fly just fine.

I'm android, so Garmin's GDL 39 and the Nexus 7 work for me.....

One thing that gets my goat is proprietary chargers/cables. I like the fact that the Nexus and my Galaxy III share the same mini-USB charge cable along with a host of other products.

Good to have you back!

Superdad,

I am back in the left seat after a very long layoff. I am flying with an iPad Mini and love it. Using a yoke mount from RAM it will be easy for you to move from rental plane to another. My unit is paired with the Garmin GDL39 so it has weather and traffic, neither of which I have paid any attention to in the past few hours.

Even though I have the Garmin Pilot app, I really like Foreflight much better and think I screwed up getting the GDL39. The other apps I have that I really like are Checkmate for the checklist (nice having it on the yoke and easier than a flip chart on my lap) and W&B pro for weight and balance calculations. There is another app that I have but have not used, Xnavion, it is pretty cool check it out.

I have not used the iPad nearly as much as I thought I would. I have been focused on flying outside the plane not inside, although I have found the moving map and quick access to airport data helpful.

The cool thing is that I have not touched a paper sectional. My knee board has some papers for jotting down weather, and other ATC instructions. The iPad really helps with cockpit workload management.

Enjoy,
Rick

Welcome back.

The iPad mini kicks the iPad 1's butt, and the 1 started the cockpit tablet revolution, so the mini is fine. Great for not needing a 20 lb bag of paper charts. If you have an iPhone, it makes a decent backup in case the mini goes tango uniform.

When I came back to flying after a similar hiatus, I felt the BFR wasn't as hard as a checkride would have been so I pursued flying everything to better than PTS standards for a while.

Challenge yourself, and most of all, ignore the iPad and go have some fun just flying. Great feeling being "back" isn't it? ;)

Go fly. Forget the toys for a while. The airplane will fly just fine without them. I left mine at home today (but expected to be flying a Garmin GNS-430W equipped 172 - wound up with a /A C-182). Still made it from OLM to FHR without GPS :yikes: :D

Welcome back. Have fun.

Thanks guys, I had a blast Saturday doing my BRF and the CFII said my landings were perfect. I wasn't so sure lol Even though he didn't sign off my BFR, because I don't have a current medical. I plan on flying with him later this week to do a little more brush up work on a few things. Plus I have my medical on Thursday.

Were going to plan a flight from KMLE to KGRI and back and then fly the route. 100nm trip just to get comfy. During the check ride I didn't "feel" like I was able to have very much fun with doing all the stalls, slow flight ect... So we decided to do a little flight.

Thanks guys, I had a blast Saturday doing my BRF and the CFII said my landings were perfect. I wasn't so sure lol Even though he didn't sign off my BFR, because I don't have a current medical. I plan on flying with him later this week to do a little more brush up work on a few things. Plus I have my medical on Thursday.

Were going to plan a flight from KMLE to KGRI and back and then fly the route. 100nm trip just to get comfy. During the check ride I didn't "feel" like I was able to have very much fun with doing all the stalls, slow flight ect... So we decided to do a little flight.

what does signing off a BFR have to do with a Medical? Shouldn't he have just signed you off and made sure that you understand you aren't authorized to exercise the privileges of a Private Pilot until then? :confused:

I looked in 61.56 and didn't see any mention of a Medical being a requirement.

Back