Back in the game

Stephen Shore

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sshore
Well, after 35 years, I got my PPL current again! I am so glad to be back and doing something that I truly love. I put this off for years, but in reality it really was not nearly as hard as I made it out to be.

I got my PPL back in 1980 when I was 17. Quit flying in 1982 when I went off to college and got poor real quick.

Fast forward to 2017 - 54 years old and kids out of the house, business doing well - why not?!

I sent my $2 to the FAA and got my license back. Next step - third class physical. Lost 20 lbs, passed the physical (and felt alot better). Now - nothing left but the Biannual and type certification!

Found a great CFI who told me not to worry - that flying was like riding a bicycle - it would come back very quickly. He was right. About 10 hours of instruction and I was checked off and had my second "solo"!

I have done several cross-country flights and am having a blast. And wow - the new way to navigate is so easy! I still use my charts and pilotage (because I enjoy it), but I do have a phone with Garmin Pilot running as a backup!

My only regret is that I did not do this 29 years ago. Also, I am shocked at the decline in GA since I was flying in the early 1980's. Very sad. It was such a thriving community back in the day. I am 54 years old and am considered "young" at the airport where I fly out of.

Anyway - I am glad to be back and am having alot of fun shopping for my first airplane. I plan to continue on and obtain my IR next year.

It is great to be in the pilot community!

Welcome back!

I do have to say, the "decline" you mention depends where you are based out of. Go to KFFC and you at 54 would double the average age of pilots there.

Welcome back! Great you're enjoying it again, always good to see.

Stephen,

Welcome back! What type of planes are you looking to buy?

Back when I flew the "first" time, I learned in a 152 and then did most of my flying in 172's. I learned and flew at a controlled airport - really did not do a whole lot of flying into uncontrolled airports. Side note - alot of "controlled" airports back then in my area are now uncontrolled or at least only "partly" controlled.

Transition to today, I am flying out of an uncontrolled airport and got "re-trained" and Type certified in PA-28's. I fly (rent) a 1981 Warrior. In my opinion, it is much easier to fly into uncontrolled airports and having the view of a low wing aircraft as compared to a high wing. It is probably a matter of opinion, but I just feel comfortable in that Warrior flying into the little airports that I fly into. Of course when I fly into tower controlled airports, there is certainly no disadvantage to the Warrior.

So, I am basically looking for a late 1970's to early 1980's Piper Warrior or Archer. I think the 180hp Archer would be a great airplane for my mission - just recreational local flying with some 350-400 mile cross countries for my business. Primarily just me in the cockpit, along with possibly one passenger.

Anyway, the above is my answer and explanation. Hope it makes sense and point me out to any other aircraft that I should be considering for that mission.

Congrats, that beats the 24 years I was away by quite a bit. It's like being transported into the future with the GPS systems, glass cockpits, electronic flight bags and online resources.

Back