Back from the oral surgeon

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
Two cracked molars removed, taking 800mg Ibuprofin and amoxicillin. Was under sedation for abut 45 minutes.

How long before I'm safe to fly?

24 hours is what we recommend after anesthesia.

Would give it at least 24 hours. Would wait till I was off the pain killers.

24 hours is what we recommend after anesthesia.
Who's "we"? IIRC, Bruce Chien recommends a minimum of 48 hours, and that's consistent with what I've been told by the FAA Regional Flight Surgeon. And that assumes no post-op pain-killers, too, although the OP did not mention any of those.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID and pain killer. He's unlikely to need it past the first few hours though if it's anything like my extractions.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID and pain killer. He's unlikely to need it past the first few hours though if it's anything like my extractions.
Sorry -- I was referring to psychoactive prescription post-op painkillers like Empirin or Percocet,, not things like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin.

Who's "we"? IIRC, Bruce Chien recommends a minimum of 48 hours, and that's consistent with what I've been told by the FAA Regional Flight Surgeon. And that assumes no post-op pain-killers, too, although the OP did not mention any of those.
Hey Ron

Sorry, we would be referring to those of us who provide anesthesia for a living.

Last edited:
My wisdom teeth came in normally when I was younger, but over the years decay started to develop in the very back areas that are hard to brush and floss. Even though they weren't causing my discomfort, dentist recommended they be extracted.

Had the uppers done a couple years ago, and now decay is setting in on the bottoms, so I need to have those done in the next few months.

Is having teeth extracted something I need to put down on the medical form when I'm ready to go for my medical? Wasn't sure if dental procedures had to be reported.

I'd go 48 hours after your last dose of narcotics. 99% of the time, you get a prescription for hydrocodone or something similar. I do have patients that get by with just an NSAID or plain tylenol, but that is rare.

The only other thing to remember is that you can get entrapped air under temporary crowns, but not sure about a small amout of air in a socket after an extraction. Could however possibly be very painful.

The only other thing to remember is that you can get entrapped air under temporary crowns, but not sure about a small amout of air in a socket after an extraction. Could however possibly be very painful.

When my wisdom teeth were removed, the stitches were taken out after 7 days. The doc gave me a syringe with a long curved tip to wash out the gaping holes in the back of my mouth. Air could not get trapped there, but amazing amounts of partially chewed food did.

When it stops hurting, and you're not taking anything stronger than aspirin, then think about flying. Whenever I've been on anything stronger than Tylenol 3, "thinking" was all I could have done, anyway.

I'd go 48 hours after your last dose of narcotics. 99% of the time, you get a prescription for hydrocodone or something similar. I do have patients that get by with just an NSAID or plain tylenol, but that is rare.

Just 800mg Ibuprofen. I told the doc that it was my painkiller of choice. Pain was minimal at all times, the Ibuprofen did help quite a bit with the swelling.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back