Back flying after 28 years

Horsedoc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Horsedoc
Hey guys and gals, short intro, haven't flown for 28 years due to career. Now retired and been back at it. I have a somewhat dumb question to most, but I learned old school

Also new to forums, learning that too. Looking at musketeer to fly, never flown a plane without mag compass over the panel. How do you make DG corrections?

You can align with the runway headings or perpendicular taxiways. In Iowa once in the air, most any road is N/S or E/W. After that you have the setting & rising sun.

You can align with the runway headings or perpendicular taxiways. In Iowa once in the air, most any road is N/S or E/W. After that you have the setting & rising sun.
Thanks sourdough, that helps.

Welcome back.

Biggest stumbling block for lapsed pilots - do you have your medical sorted out? Things have changed a bit in the past several years.

Hey Horsedoc...

Airplanes for you haven’t changed much since you e already decided on a musketeer.

Avionics, which used to move pretty slowly, have changed monumentally.

ADSB is new.
Musicals are new.
The amount of change in panel mounted avionics was well as portables will blow your mind.

For $100-200 a month, look at what ForeFlight can do for you. Duats? What’s that? :)

Good luck learning all the new things - and enjoy your time back

I did the same thing (stopped in '82, rejoined the Flying Circus in 2018).
Note, the same planes and avionics in most of the flight schools... I re-learned using quite a bit of YouTube material and of course purchased a course. I just assumed that I would have to get Ground School out of the way before I got into an airplane with an Instructor. Glad I did it that way because instead of asking "what's that?"... I concentrated on flying skills.
If in doubt, follow the "majenta line"... ; )

Isn’t a mag compass required?
It is required, TMK. Not much rental availability here, plane is at an local airport, owner looking for renters/lease.
Sent me some pics and nothing on around glareshield resemblingWresembling magbmag compass. Seeing in person this week

It is required, TMK. Not much rental availability here, plane is at an local airport, owner looking for renters/lease.
Sent me some pics and nothing on around glareshield resemblingWresembling magbmag compass. Seeing in person this week

Welcome back, I was the same as you a couple years ago, hadn't flown in 25+ years. Have my instrument rating now and loving it. Averaging about 150 hours a year renting, would be more if I owned....

The airplane has to have a compass, probably on the panel.

Welcome back, I was the same as you a couple years ago, hadn't flown in 25+ years. Have my instrument rating now and loving it. Averaging about 150 hours a year renting, would be more if I owned....

The airplane has to have a compass, probably on the panel.
It probably does have one and pictures are all at wrong angle to see it. I was afraid that tech had completely left me behind on a compass. I have been back flying in a Archer for 6 months, after with CFI for about 20 h and BFR. Fundamentals came back pretty quick, it's the techy stuff that is the big learn. Thanks

It probably does have one and pictures are all at wrong angle to see it. I was afraid that tech had completely left me behind on a compass. I have been back flying in a Archer for 6 months, after with CFI for about 20 h and BFR. Fundamentals came back pretty quick, it's the techy stuff that is the big learn. Thanks
Yeah. We still use a compass to set the DG. Glad you’re able to return to flying. It’s a real gift so enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm flying Cirrus G6 aircraft, with all the bells and whistles. Still has a compass, if one is not there, don't fly it. My experience coming back is similar to yours. The techy stuff is pretty straight forward, it just takes some time to learn it. I have over 200 hours with the techy stuff and I still find new things. All in all it's great stuff.

So here’s a question... if you have a G5 with magnetometer, does that satisfy the requirement for a compass? I would assume so but never really considered it.

So here’s a question... if you have a G5 with magnetometer, does that satisfy the requirement for a compass? I would assume so but never really considered it.
No. You don’t need the DG, but you still need the compass.

No. You don’t need the DG, but you still need the compass.
Yes

My understanding the compass is required, even for the G5 with a magnetometer. Even the new Cessna's with G1000's have a compass. Remember TOMATO FLAMES when flight training? The M is for magnetic.

Yes

My understanding the compass is required, even for the G5 with a magnetometer. Even the new Cessna's with G1000's have a compass. Remember TOMATO FLAMES when flight training? The M is for magnetic.

You’re likely correct, but the FAR just refers to a “magnetic direction indicator”, which sounds like it could be a magnetometer driving a heading indicator.

You’re likely correct, but the FAR just refers to a “magnetic direction indicator”, which sounds like it could be a magnetometer driving a heading indicator.
Compass is on the required equipment list.

Yes

No, it does not satisfy the requirement for a compass.

We're at an edge of the FAR's beyond what I can say with certainty. I like a compass as the last ditch emergency if all power is out and iPad not working.

Compass is on the required equipment list.
That, and the STC for the G5 with gmu11 does not including replacement of the compass.

The MEL for that aircraft may still require an actual compass, but the FARs should be satisfied by the magnetometer as a "magnetic direction indicator".

The MEL for that aircraft may still require an actual compass, but the FARs should be satisfied by the magnetometer as a "magnetic direction indicator".

Except the STC for the G5 HSI specifically requires retention of the magnetic compass.

...the FAR just refers to a “magnetic direction indicator”, which sounds like it could be a magnetometer driving a heading indicator.
The 162 I used to fly only had a magnetometer, no whiskey compass.

The 162 I used to fly only had a magnetometer, no whiskey compass.

Has to do with the LSA requirement. The magnetometer and direction indicator on the EFIS is sufficient to met the regs for LSA since it's VFR only. You can't perform PPL checkrides in the 162 either since it does not have a compass. However you can PPL train in a 162.

Last edited:
You actually can do instrument training in the 162 as well, even though it is not certified for IMC.

Why do you say that? No actual? Almost every instrument pilot in Phoenix gets their cert with no actual !

Why do you say that? No actual? Almost every instrument pilot in Phoenix gets their cert with no actual !
Because using the gps in a 162 wouldn’t teach you much of anything useful about shooting an approach. JMO

Because using the gps in a 162 wouldn’t teach you much of anything useful about shooting an approach. JMO

Not disagreeing at all Salty but would just like to understand this better. Is that something else about the 162? Or the fact that you can’t shoot an approach in IMC?

Not disagreeing at all Salty but would just like to understand this better. Is that something else about the 162? Or the fact that you can’t shoot an approach in IMC?
You can’t train an approach in it at all. The SLSA Approved version Of software that you can train with can’t do an LPV, LNAV, ILS, LOC, or VOR approach.

I suppose you could burn some of your 40 hours of instrument with a safety pilot flying around. Maybe you could practice unusual attitudes and timed holds?

If you turn it experimental, and change the software or hardware, then you can’t train in it.

So, you got me thinking about the capabilities of the 162 so I played a bit more with it than I have before. To me it's a VFR plane, so I never tried to get it to do anything IFR.

I was able to load a few RNAV approaches, and even bring up approach plates (I had no idea you could do that). There are still a lot of limitations, so it's kind of silly still:

• The database is expired, but I'm not sure if that matters for instruction if you're still VFR rules with a safety pilot (The approach plate I snapshotted, is 4 years old)
  • I couldn't find a way to pick anything but the default IAF
  • It doesn't do holds, or PT's
  • No idea what kind of vertical guidance it provides, but I will be trying it next time I fly. I suspect it might give you the flying windows, but who knows?

IMG_3409.jpeg IMG_3410.jpeg

Last edited:
Back