Baby steps...

I can see it now:

"So like, the guys got together and like, as we were driving by Flagstaff we decided to tell Jimbo about the lookout with the glass floor and like, we didn't know where it really was so we told him it was over by the lodge, and like, we DARED him to step out onto to it and OH MAN!...."

Not for me. I got nervous taking a few steps across the Royal Gorge on a wooden bridge where you can see all of the down through the slats. I had driven across first and wondered why all the pedestrians outside had funny looks on their faces as the car made the slats bounce under them.

That's what I saw at the Grand Canyon: lots of DOWN.

What would really be fun would be to plant on the floor a large handle labeled, TRAP DOOR, just inside the door leading out to the platform. Think of the handbrakes for a crawler, paint it firetruck red and mark off a square with alternating yellow/black diagonal stripes on the floor around it.

How's this ?

Thats about 328 meteres (1100 feet)

Auckland's SkyTower - I was there on business last year :)

How about looking down through the decking of this catwalk? 450 feet down to the reflector at the Arecibo radio observatory. Quite a climb up to the platform on a hot and humid day in late June...

Troy Whistman said:
Could you do this?

No problem. That doesn't even require effort.

I've always been around high places, rooftops, top of antenna poles, cliffs, etc usually requiring climbing gear.

The real question is, would you do this:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

I don't even like flying high-wing planes. I want that wing between me and the ground!

High Places 101

Ghery said:
No. No. (to get my answer over 5 characters)

So, I guess taking this picture between your toes is probably out of the question then... (North face of K2 several thousand meters from the tip of the toes to the ice below - if that creeps you out, you really don't want to see the picture of one of the high camps there)

view.asp

silver-eagle said:
Me neither. I'm afraid of heights. Crazy, isn't it?

I am not afraid of the heights, its the sudden stop at the end of the fall!!

fgcason said:
No problem. That doesn't even require effort.

I've always been around high places, rooftops, top of antenna poles, cliffs, etc usually requiring climbing gear.

The real question is, would you do this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Actually the question isn't would you do this, but.. "Could you do it withOUT a safety harness?"

Now THAT would let one know if you've got a pair.. or not!

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Dakota Duce said:
Actually the question isn't would you do this, but.. "Could you do it withOUT a safety harness?"

Could you? Yes.
Would you? Depends on if you're part of the last 4 billion years of survival based evolution or not.

Unlike aviation, the tolerance for error is zero. There's only one link in the safety chain and there's no spring loaded gate on that link - it's just wide open waiting for an oopsie.

Dakota Duce said:
Now THAT would let one know if you've got a pair.. or not!

Actually that would demonstrate one's complete inability to have good judgement or even reasonable judgement.
There are lots of old bold pilots and old bold climbers...but they're all dead.

I'd do it. Looks like fun. I've been in considerably worse places. However I would unconditionally insist on my own climbing gear.

Last edited:
Back