Baaaaad luck

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
A club member had our new 182 away from the area for the weekend, and the plane was damaged at the tiedown. A storm blew up, and a chocked Sabreliner 65 was blown loose across the ramp and impacted our properly tied down 182.

I have no pictures or damage description other than the prop, cowling, and wing strut recieved damage. If repairable, I expect the plane to be down for quite some time.

As luck would have it, that is the plane I scheduled for Gastons, and all the other planes are booked :( .

Ugh.

All in all not a good thing for all concerned. Must have been one heck of a storm to move a Saberliner like that.

Paging Lance Fisher....

Bill Jennings said:
A club member had our new 182 away from the area for the weekend, and the plane was damaged at the tiedown. A storm blew up, and a chocked Sabreliner 65 was blown loose across the ramp and impacted our properly tied down 182.

I have no pictures or damage description other than the prop, cowling, and wing strut recieved damage. If repairable, I expect the plane to be down for quite some time.

As luck would have it, that is the plane I scheduled for Gastons, and all the other planes are booked :( .

Ugh.
Maybe Lance or the NC crowd can help you out....

Last edited:
From what I have seen in sale prices, the 182 may be worth more than the jet (well, may have been)!

SCCutler said:
From what I have seen in sale prices, the 182 may be worth more than the jet (well, may have been)!

The 182 was a 2001 model with <600TT on it. Basically a brand new airplane. :(

Re: Paging Lance Fisher....

bbchien said:
Maybe Lance or the NC crowd can help you out....

Lance F in Atlanta has offered me a ride...cool, a ride in an M20J!

Re: Paging Lance Fisher....

Bill Jennings said:
Lance F in Atlanta has offered me a ride...cool, a ride in an M20J!

Your going to like the 160 Kts. Don't get spoiled, you might have to buy a Mooney!

Oh, but a Mooney's so cramped and small ;)

Glad it worked out for you Bill! Sorry I couldn't offer to come up you way. Right now, it looks like we're full!

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Dave

Bill Jennings said:
I'm looking forward to de-bunking all of the Mooney myths.

That will start as soon as you get straped in. The only people that can't get comfortable in a Mooney are the ones with short legs and large mid sections (I'm trying to be nice!). They can't find the pedals.

Bill Jennings said:
I'm looking forward to de-bunking all of the Mooney myths.

Mmmm... Mooney... Made my knees feel better just thinking about one. I'm sitting here all cramped up in my truck, which has less legroom than a Mooney! (Well, when you're sitting in the seat... Maybe I should go back to the "bedroom"...)

Bill,

That really sucks! :( There's another very sad 182 sitting at MSN - Very inexperienced but well-off pilot ran her brand new Turbo 182 (48 hours on the Hobbs) with G1000 off the runway (A 9,000 x 150 foot runway, mind you :dunno:) and into a ditch. The nose gear is gone, and there's a BIG dent on the underside of the cowl, and the prop is pretty well shredded.

flyingcheesehead said:
Bill,

That really sucks! :( There's another very sad 182 sitting at MSN - Very inexperienced but well-off pilot ran her brand new Turbo 182 (48 hours on the Hobbs) with G1000 off the runway (A 9,000 x 150 foot runway, mind you :dunno:) and into a ditch. The nose gear is gone, and there's a BIG dent on the underside of the cowl, and the prop is pretty well shredded.

OMG... I'm gonna be sick. All this talk reminds me of when a microburst hit RDU's West Ramp a while back, GA planes were tossed around pretty badly. One was completely flipped upside-down but still tied down. The whole scene made me queasy, like the photos of the FLA hurricanes. All that beloved bent metal.

jdwatson said:
OMG... I'm gonna be sick. All this talk reminds me of when a microburst hit RDU's West Ramp a while back, GA planes were tossed around pretty badly. One was completely flipped upside-down but still tied down. The whole scene made me queasy, like the photos of the FLA hurricanes. All that beloved bent metal.

I was there right after it happened. Driving thru the terminal space where you wait for the bus looked like someone had taken a baseball and thrown it through the glass panels. There was a part of terminal A that was damaged and you could see insulation hanging down from under the walkway. The signs were all twisted and bent. Then I went to the observation deck and it was a very sad site to see all the planes flipped over and in the grass, not to mention the one that was in the ATC parking lot.

When I came back to work on Monday everyone was like "WE SAW YOU ON TV!!!!! YOU TURNED AROUND AND WAVED!!!!!"

I posted a picture in the photo gallery its the one where the plane is upside down. My friend her plane was a total loss. Sad part, she had just upgraded everything and hadn't updated the insurance, so she didn't get what her plane was worth.

I am going to be sick... that's awful. Sorry for your friend's loss.

Back