B1 'flameout'

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Buh, taxied past this guy around 6pm, wondered why he had closed the runway.
(and hoped he was not doing a full power runup as I passed)

Interesting. A buddy of mine out of Abeline had issues with a B1 a few months ago ferrying back from Tinker. I wonder if it's the same plane with ongoing issues.

One of the interesting things about scale. We divert all the time for wx or mechanical precautionaries in the trainers, no cameras. But you do the same on a big airplane and it's all of a sudden news.

The choice to park it in Midland is interesting. Generally speaking, when it comes to bombers, you have plenty of gas and engine redundancy to make it back to an Air Force field. If you're not getting out (like the wing slice B-1 out of the low level in Montana) then you probably have time to limp it to DOD concrete. Wonder what the pressing need was to put it on a civi field with all that classified defensive suites on board. Boy am I glad I don't have to deal with that PITA as an Aircraft Commander anymore. Babysitting/thankless/break-even-at-best doesn't even begin to describe that kabuki.

Interesting. A buddy of mine out of Abeline had issues with a B1 a few months ago ferrying back from Tinker. I wonder if it's the same plane with ongoing issues.

Yeah I called them on a wing and a prayer flights. Ferry-back flights were notorious for discrepancies and precautionary shutdowns of all manners. Hell, a squadronmate of mine lost a flap over Midwest City (my wife's home city as a matter of fact) in the Buff taking off on an FCF sortie. I had my fair share of oil lights, generators and every other annoyance to deal with when ferrying the Buff back to Louisiana from KTIK. It's just an occupational hazard when you get an airplane out of depot. MIF is a real thing.

In the other photo, it appears that the upper engine bay covers for the right side are partially open. Double overheat or fire detect could cause an expedited divert.

Yeah I called them on a wing and a prayer flights. Ferry-back flights were notorious for discrepancies and precautionary shutdowns of all manners. Hell, a squadronmate of mine lost a flap over Midwest City (my wife's home city as a matter of fact) in the Buff taking off on an FCF sortie. I had my fair share of oil lights, generators and every other annoyance to deal with when ferrying the Buff back to Louisiana from KTIK. It's just an occupational hazard when you get an airplane out of depot. MIF is a real thing.

I wish I could describe this particular event, but I can't give details at least until the investigation is completed. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to say that he and his crew are alive today due to great skill and a good deal of luck. Had they followed protocol to the letter, they should have bailed, but they got it on the ground in one piece. Scary stuff.

Had they followed protocol to the letter, they should have bailed, but they got it on the ground in one piece. Scary stuff.
This close on the heels of the F-16 forced landing at KHII (Lake Havasu City AZ) just last week. In that one the airplane ended up in multiple pieces, but the pilot is ok, thankfully.

Military hardware wearing out with the Midfle East wars all these years. Checking a guy out in an Arrow who flew C-17s and he said even those are wearing due to the wars.

Last edited:
About twice a year I see a B-1 flying over here in NM. It is at refueling altitude and close to the route I see others refueling at, about 11,000 MSL (4500 AGL) but I have never seen it refueling. I have always wondered where it is out of.

I was once vectored around to allow a BUFF with an in flight emergency do the approach in front of me. It had one engine shut down......

I was once vectored around to allow a BUFF with an in flight emergency do the approach in front of me. It had one engine shut down......

I thought the dreaded seven-engine approach was a joke . . . .

Anyone ever called Tower from their SEP and announced "inbound on one engine"??? How'd it go???

I thought the dreaded seven-engine approach was a joke . . . .

Anyone ever called Tower from their SEP and announced "inbound on one engine"??? How'd it go???

I got in on the conversation a little late, but.....

ATC: How much fuel, how many souls....etc....

A/C: 3 hours, 5 onboard..

ATC: State type emergency.

A/C: We shut down one engine due to oil pressure.

Me, thinking to myself....Sounds like a light twin, maybe a Seneca or a Baron...Good luck guys.....

ATC: Say type aircraft

A/C: B-52

Me: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA........:rofl::rofl::rofl: must be a tuff night..... (I didn't say that on the radio)

And yes, I did a single engine approach...in a C-210..... butI didn't think to tell the tower I was on the approach with one engine.....:hairraise:

Closest I've come to announcing one engine was when Tower called me a Baron. Didn't think fast enough, just answered with emphasis on Mooney.

Back