B/T first time plane purchase 206 / 210

88mack

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
88mack
Hi all!
I’m sure this is covered somewhere here but haven’t seen my issue specifically and don’t want my first purchase to be a dud.

I am a relatively new pilot and training my IFR now. I spend so much on planes I’m figuring a purchase is in order. My issue with most planes is I’m 6’6” and 285lbs. Most of my training in 172s and now and Archer III. I can make the Archer work by removing the slide stops and pushing all the way back. My wife and I plan to travel at different times and we want to take another couple at different times so needs to be a true 4 seater due to my size.

I was looking at PA32 but apparently due to the seat behind it it doesn’t go back even as far as the Archer so that won’t work. Bonanzas seem to have headroom issues due to the shape. Cirrus might work but it was tight and stick would hit my knees. So…the only other recommendations I’ve gotten are 206 and they seem pretty hard to find and expensive. 210 and I hear all kinds of love hate with them. I’ve found a couple of 210s and was wondering about cost of maintenance. P210 deals are out there but hear a lot of issues. Gear seems to be an issue on early models. Is it better in later? T210 a maintenance problem?

I do plan to finish my IFR in this plane with an instructor so I can get the time and endorsements obviously, but would love to hear any advice out there. Looking at $200k or less

Thanks for helping the new guy!
M

Walter Beech was big and tall.

Start with the Musketeer/Sundowner in the training class.

I really hate when people complain about "Bonanza" headroom as there were several different variants of Bonanza. The 36 series suck for headroom generally. Late 60s and onward 33 and 35 do better. Early 35s and 33s with bench seats up front can be downright miserable if you're over 5'8. They've ALL been re-upholstered over time by people of various heights or lack of same.

Cessna question. When it comes to the pilot and copilot seats, cabin width and headroom...wouldn't all the late 1960's models (and layer) of 180, 182, 206,205, 210 all have the same room?

Put another way...why go for a 206 or 210 if the 182 seats and shoulder room are the same or similar enough?

The 2 couple trips are also doable at your weight and size in a 180/182 as long as the ladies are closer to average and the other dude isn't quite as big as you are. A lot of 182 have 1200lbs. You bring that down to 915lbs. Lets say the other guy is 265lbs. Now you have 650lbs left. Lets say the ladies together weigh 300lbs. Now you have 350lbs for stuff, fuel and safety margin. So lets say 50lbs of stuff and 100lb margin. That leaves 200lbs of fuel or 33gal. That is a 2hr flight with about 45min reserve. Less stuff and smaller safety margin and yiu are easily over 3hrs and about 450sm with no headwinds. If you are up in the mountains yiu want something with more power with those loads.

A Dakota has the W&B but probably to tight.

Just thoughts.

wouldn't all the late 1960's models (and layer) of 180, 182, 206,205, 210 all have the same room?

Well, they don’t, so...

Interesting, I thought the pilot and copilot seats legvroom and shoulder widths were the same in the 210, 206 and 182. Are they wider? Do the seats travel back farther?

Hi all!
I’m sure this is covered somewhere here but haven’t seen my issue specifically and don’t want my first purchase to be a dud.

I am a relatively new pilot and training my IFR now. I spend so much on planes I’m figuring a purchase is in order. My issue with most planes is I’m 6’6” and 285lbs. Most of my training in 172s and now and Archer III. I can make the Archer work by removing the slide stops and pushing all the way back. My wife and I plan to travel at different times and we want to take another couple at different times so needs to be a true 4 seater due to my size.

I was looking at PA32 but apparently due to the seat behind it it doesn’t go back even as far as the Archer so that won’t work. Bonanzas seem to have headroom issues due to the shape. Cirrus might work but it was tight and stick would hit my knees. So…the only other recommendations I’ve gotten are 206 and they seem pretty hard to find and expensive. 210 and I hear all kinds of love hate with them. I’ve found a couple of 210s and was wondering about cost of maintenance. P210 deals are out there but hear a lot of issues. Gear seems to be an issue on early models. Is it better in later? T210 a maintenance problem?

I do plan to finish my IFR in this plane with an instructor so I can get the time and endorsements obviously, but would love to hear any advice out there. Looking at $200k or less

Thanks for helping the new guy!
M
Take another look at the PA32- not only is it as long but wider as well so more room to spread out up front. I have a 6-300. I'm a small guy but my large friends have no problem fitting in. Back seats of anything else will be smaller. All in this class are way overpriced right now though so if you can wait 12-18mo will be better.

Interesting, I thought the pilot and copilot seats legvroom and shoulder widths were the same in the 210, 206 and 182. Are they wider? Do the seats travel back farther?

The widths of 182s alone vary throughout the years, starting at basically a 172 cabin and expanding over time. The 180 had the same cabin dimensions as the early 182s, but I believe remained the same throughout the course of its production (the Skywagon mafia will be here shortly to correct me if I’m wrong on that). The 205/206s are a touch wider than 182s, and I’m pretty sure 210s varied over time as well.

So... no, they’re not all the same.

I haven’t sat in every possible plane, but the comfiest one for my wide shoulders is a PA-32. That said, I always felt the single door, over-the-wing thing was kind of a pain.

Back