B-17 At KUMP

Awesome pictures..!!!! Thanks. Nice shot with the kid standing there looking up.

A dear old friend flew B-17s during the war. He had some great stories.

After VE day, he was shipped to Roswell and became a B-29 aircraft commander. But that war ended before he was sent there. He was also in Roswell during the "Roswell incident". He never knew what the big deal was all about. Like a common saying, nothing here to see.

After VE day, he was shipped to Roswell and became a B-29 aircraft commander. But that war ended before he was sent there. He was also in Roswell during the "Roswell incident". He never knew what the big deal was all about. Like a common saying, nothing here to see.
The coverup worked.

Giving rides or just making a potty stop?

Oh, and it flew over my house yesterday as it was on final for the airport. For a second I thought we were under attack by Ohio. Never did trust those Buckeyes. They've been eyeballing our delicious Hoosier breaded tenderloin sandwiches for years!

Last edited:
Giving rides or just making a potty stop?

Giving rides this weekend. I'm not going to pony up the $450, but I will stop by and watch it fly. Maybe I'll take my plane up and share the pattern for fun. "Madras Maiden, this is Skyhawk five zero echo at your six, do you wish to engage?" :D

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

Sweet! That's the first B-17 I got a ride in as a kid back in the early '80s; was based Gainesville, TX at the time, had yellow tail and wingtips, named "Chuckie". Funny, even with the new "Madras Maiden" nose art, I still think of it as Chuckie...

As far as joyrides go, I hope you brought a bucket of cash! That thing costs roughly $3000 per hour to fly; 200 gph on fuel, plus oil, tires, brakes, etc. Ouch. I currently fly as copilot on the CAF B-17 Texas Raiders; what an awesome beast it is to fly! Noisy, shaky, smoky, but freakin cool. Flies like a ginormous Cub with that fat wing; we even do 3 point landings... just wipe the power and hold it off with both hands. Sometimes you get a squeaker, sometimes she'll bounce. It's heavy on the ailerons and rudder but strangely light on pitch. No power boost on the controls either, you really have to herd that thing around. Considering the history and heroics associated with this airplane... I'm a lucky bastard to be able to fly it.

Wow, the last time I saw Chuckie the aircraft was in pieces in a hangar at Meacham.

Nice to see another Fortress returned to the skies.

Sweet! That's the first B-17 I got a ride in as a kid back in the early '80s; was based Gainesville, TX at the time, had yellow tail and wingtips, named "Chuckie". Funny, even with the new "Madras Maiden" nose art, I still think of it as Chuckie...

As far as joyrides go, I hope you brought a bucket of cash! That thing costs roughly $3000 per hour to fly; 200 gph on fuel, plus oil, tires, brakes, etc. Ouch. I currently fly as copilot on the CAF B-17 Texas Raiders; what an awesome beast it is to fly! Noisy, shaky, smoky, but freakin cool. Flies like a ginormous Cub with that fat wing; we even do 3 point landings... just wipe the power and hold it off with both hands. Sometimes you get a squeaker, sometimes she'll bounce. It's heavy on the ailerons and rudder but strangely light on pitch. No power boost on the controls either, you really have to herd that thing around. Considering the history and heroics associated with this airplane... I'm a lucky bastard to be able to fly it.
:needpics:

MORE pictures! :biggrin:

When I was getting my PPL instruction at KPAE, FIFI was there at one point. I was holding short around mid-field on 34L. Tower said they could clear us for t/o, or we could wait and watch FIFI depart. My CFI looked at me and said, "I'd love to watch it but you're the one paying the Hobbs time..." I replied that this was a no-brainer and advised the tower that we'd wait if it was good with them. Tower replied "hold short 34L, you've got the best seat in the house." A few moments later I got to watch FIFI take off from alongside the runway-well worth the extra time on the bill.

The other funny part was while we were waiting, the first thing I saw was the top of the vertical fin taxiing W/B onto the runway. I felt like the "Jaws" music should've been playing...

Back