Aztec F model information needed

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Anyone out there with Aztec F experience? I’m specifically looking for fuel system info. I’ve read about a lot of fuel related accidents.

I didn’t see any specific fuel tank procedures addressed in the POH but I have reasons to believe there are some supplemental procedures in regards to this. There’s a huge overall lack of information.

I know that a proposed AD got shot down, but was later incorporated in a SB to relocate fuel sumps.

So with all the previous fuel issues, what’s your method for fuel management? Tip tank models?

Thanks.

I've been an owner and pilot of a 1979 'F' since 2012. It has the factory long range tip tank additions. I am not aware of any AD or SB for the 'F' that requires "relocating fuel sumps".

AD 92-13-04 only applies to the 150 hp and 160 hp Apache models.

SB 932A (August 30, 1990) has two parts. Only Part II applies to the 'F' model Aztec. Part II of 932A is pretty benign; involves replacing the fuel filter bowls with a larger bowl (different Piper part number), inspecting the fuel bladders for wrinkles and inspecting the fuel filler caps and fuel vent system for condition.

Copy of SB 932A is attached for reference.

I am not aware of anything else regarding the fuel system that is applicable to my Serial # 'F' model. You should check with your mechanic. If you come across something specific I would appreciate you posting a copy or providing a link. :thumbsup:

My method of fuel management is to fly on the outboards and maintain reserve fuel in the inboards. I cycle the inboards during local flights to ensure I don't end up with stale fuel. If I need additional fuel in the inboards, that gets burned off first.

Attachments

• Piper SB 932A - PA-23 Fuel System .pdf
    78 KB · Views: 3
The AD that I was speaking of never went into effect due to huge opposition. The SB however was related. Apparently it allowed for relocation of the sump points or an optional raising of the tanks with a block. All of which was to prevent water in the system. Apparently it was a factor in something like 19 accidents. It might not have applied to the F model though. I read about the fuel bowl situation.

Thanks much!

Back