Aztec down off Nassau, Bahamas

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Doesn’t sound good for the rescue efforts.RIP

Confusing article. First says that the pilot reported the door had come open, and later quotes people talking about nursing it past three airports on a single engine trying to get to the destination?

Confusing article. First says that the pilot reported the door had come open, and later quotes people talking about nursing it past three airports on a single engine trying to get to the destination?

Agree. Totally confused reporting.

The loss of an engine near sea level with only two people on board should not be particularly difficult to deal with in an Aztec. Sounds like there's more to this than we know.

Kathryn's Report

"At a press conference on Nirvana Beach on Sunday, one of Mr. Ferguson’s brothers said the seasoned pilot experienced difficulties with the plane’s door during flight and contacted Air Traffic Control.

Sometime later he experienced engine problems."

"Relatives have said only the pilot was aboard the plane, contradicting previous police reports – two people were originally supposed to be on board."

Consistent with what I have heard at the airport of departure. Note that the a/c was equipped with a cargo door and was carrying a load, don't know which door had opened on him. Also, a/c was turbo.

Kathryn's Report

"At a press conference on Nirvana Beach on Sunday, one of Mr. Ferguson’s brothers said the seasoned pilot experienced difficulties with the plane’s door during flight and contacted Air Traffic Control.

Sometime later he experienced engine problems."

"Relatives have said only the pilot was aboard the plane, contradicting previous police reports – two people were originally supposed to be on board."

Consistent with what I have heard at the airport of departure. Note that the a/c was equipped with a cargo door and was carrying a load, don't know which door had opened on him. Also, a/c was turbo.

The FAA Registry information says the plane was operating with a "Special Flight Permit" to "Operate Excess of Maximum Weight".

I wonder if the nose baggage door opened in flight, and emptied its contents through the right hand prop?

Back