awesome Sun Country flight

StevieTimes

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StevieTimes
Took a Sun Country flight on June 12th, flight 283, Minneapolis to Seattle.

Thought I'd save a few bucks over Delta; I even paid fifteen bucks to have a seat near the front of the rest of the plane (coach), like 7-something, window seat, heck yeah I love to look out.

I checked my bag, so was in no hurry to board. I was almost last. When I got to my seat, somebody was already there. It was a lady with her two boys.

I have given up my seat enough times to go to the very back and sit squeezed between two huge guys to know that I paid for a window seat near the front, and darn it, that's where I was sitting. I said excuse me, and sat in my seat, and they all sat in the remaining two seats.

Only problem was; she REALLY didn't want to get split up from her kids, which is where her assigned seats took her. She would be able to sit with one kid, but not the older, 12 year old, or 13, or whatever he was.

The flight attendant came by and told her she had to move. Her older boy hugged her and said "no mama no go, I stay with you mama".

A short time later, the flight attendant came back, with another guy from inside the terminal, and they both re-asserted that she or one of her kids had to move, and her boy was old enough to sit by himself. Clearly he did not want to leave her. I don't believe English was their native language, not that it matters, but I think that not being from here added to their stress.

Logistically she was in the wrong; but I couldn't do it, so I said "I'll move." The guy from inside stopped, looked at me, and said "You'll move?" I repeated "I'll move." He said "OK", and walked away. I moved up two rows between two fellas.

The flight attendant came by and said "That was very nice of you". I said "If you have any possible aisle or window seat back there, I'd gladly take it". She said they might have an aisle seat back at row 30, she'll check. I thanked her very much and said I'd love it.

Before we took off, she came back and said "Well, being nice really paid off for you today!" I said "How so?" She said "We're moving you up to first class! To make the paperwork easier, we're going to move you after takeoff." "WOW awesome!" I replied.

So they motioned me up there, I got a hot wet towel (wasn't quite sure, put it on my face before I realized it was probably just for my hands). We got a snack (including fresh fruit and fancy cheeses), as many cokes as I wanted (didn't want alcohol, it was kinda early in the day). Then they brought a meal and finally dessert, and everything was delicious and wonderful. Our stuff was all gourmet and fancy; the back could buy a Lion's Tap burger or a Jimmy John's sandwich. I had tons of space, and a free entertainment system. I played freecell and watched the new Wolverine movie.

It was bad, because a guy could get used to this, it was almost better not knowing.

The flight attendant came up and said people were talking about me, and one guy wanted to buy me a beer. She told him I could have as many free beers as I wanted; I was in first class, but she'd pass on the message.

Being nice usually doesn't pay (for me); but on that day, it really, really, really did.

Thanks Sun Country flight attendants on flight 283!

Interesting. Sun Country is one of those airlines I almost forget exists. Once in a while they'll pass through here for some odd reason, (I believe for a charter or something). Actually heard one tonight, while I was with Tower. Kind of ironic.

Sometimes being nice pays off @StevieTimes. Sometimes it doesn't. But glad it worked out for ya!

Not quite as good as the dude in the Emirates video with the shower and bed thingy, but it almost made domestic air travel sound decent. :)

Three things:[!}

1. Nice - usually when you do that you end up in the middle seat in the back between two sumo wrestlers who have not showered since Bush 43 was president.

2. I didn't know Suncountry had first class!!

3. This happens a lot - and the reason for it is that this woman was too cheap to buy seats for herself and her kids. That's the only reason.

I've had this happen before, minus the first class upgrade. I have stood there - and looked at the woman - and then turned to the gate agent and said: "perhaps if she went back to her seat, and offered seats in Row 7 to the people sitting in row 32, maybe she'd have better luck."

They NEVER go to THEIR seats in the back - they ALWAYS take thee seats in the front - and know full well what they are doing.

In this case the gate agents looks at me, and usually says, wait a min, ask to see her boarding pass, go back to her row, and ask the two poor schlubs in row 43 if they'd rather sit in Row 7. They always say yes, s/he comes back and says, I have seats for all you together - is that ok? She's trapped at that point.

Also - its simply AMAZING how often this happens when I'm in a main cabin extra / free drinks seat in coach - and Mom's seat is back in the regular coach section. I tell the gate agent - I'm platinum level and an aisle seat in row 32 is not equivalent to this seat, how do you want to handle it? Tell them to give me free drinks back there? Leave the seat next to me open so I have some extra room? Usually at that point they kick an employee out of first class.

Took a Sun Country flight on June 12th, flight 283, Minneapolis to Seattle.

Thought I'd save a few bucks over Delta; I even paid fifteen bucks to have a seat near the front of the rest of the plane (coach), like 7-something, window seat, heck yeah I love to look out.

I checked my bag, so was in no hurry to board. I was almost last. When I got to my seat, somebody was already there. It was a lady with her two boys.

I have given up my seat enough times to go to the very back and sit squeezed between two huge guys to know that I paid for a window seat near the front, and darn it, that's where I was sitting. I said excuse me, and sat in my seat, and they all sat in the remaining two seats.

Only problem was; she REALLY didn't want to get split up from her kids, which is where her assigned seats took her. She would be able to sit with one kid, but not the older, 12 year old, or 13, or whatever he was.

The flight attendant came by and told her she had to move. Her older boy hugged her and said "no mama no go, I stay with you mama".

A short time later, the flight attendant came back, with another guy from inside the terminal, and they both re-asserted that she or one of her kids had to move, and her boy was old enough to sit by himself. Clearly he did not want to leave her. I don't believe English was their native language, not that it matters, but I think that not being from here added to their stress.

Logistically she was in the wrong; but I couldn't do it, so I said "I'll move." The guy from inside stopped, looked at me, and said "You'll move?" I repeated "I'll move." He said "OK", and walked away. I moved up two rows between two fellas.

The flight attendant came by and said "That was very nice of you". I said "If you have any possible aisle or window seat back there, I'd gladly take it". She said they might have an aisle seat back at row 30, she'll check. I thanked her very much and said I'd love it.

Before we took off, she came back and said "Well, being nice really paid off for you today!" I said "How so?" She said "We're moving you up to first class! To make the paperwork easier, we're going to move you after takeoff." "WOW awesome!" I replied.

So they motioned me up there, I got a hot wet towel (wasn't quite sure, put it on my face before I realized it was probably just for my hands). We got a snack (including fresh fruit and fancy cheeses), as many cokes as I wanted (didn't want alcohol, it was kinda early in the day). Then they brought a meal and finally dessert, and everything was delicious and wonderful. Our stuff was all gourmet and fancy; the back could buy a Lion's Tap burger or a Jimmy John's sandwich. I had tons of space, and a free entertainment system. I played freecell and watched the new Wolverine movie.

It was bad, because a guy could get used to this, it was almost better not knowing.

The flight attendant came up and said people were talking about me, and one guy wanted to buy me a beer. She told him I could have as many free beers as I wanted; I was in first class, but she'd pass on the message.

Being nice usually doesn't pay (for me); but on that day, it really, really, really did.

Thanks Sun Country flight attendants on flight 283!

I had a similar experience on a SWA flight from MCO to LAS. Moved seats so a family could sit together, FA saw it, and I got free beers for the flight. It pays to not be a butthole sometimes

Three things:[!}

1. Nice - usually when you do that you end up in the middle seat in the back between two sumo wrestlers who have not showered since Bush 43 was president.

2. I didn't know Suncountry had first class!!

3. This happens a lot - and the reason for it is that this woman was too cheap to buy seats for herself and her kids. That's the only reason.

I've had this happen before, minus the first class upgrade. I have stood there - and looked at the woman - and then turned to the gate agent and said: "perhaps if she went back to her seat, and offered seats in Row 7 to the people sitting in row 32, maybe she'd have better luck."

They NEVER go to THEIR seats in the back - they ALWAYS take thee seats in the front - and know full well what they are doing.

In this case the gate agents looks at me, and usually says, wait a min, ask to see her boarding pass, go back to her row, and ask the two poor schlubs in row 43 if they'd rather sit in Row 7. They always say yes, s/he comes back and says, I have seats for all you together - is that ok? She's trapped at that point.

Also - its simply AMAZING how often this happens when I'm in a main cabin extra / free drinks seat in coach - and Mom's seat is back in the regular coach section. I tell the gate agent - I'm platinum level and an aisle seat in row 32 is not equivalent to this seat, how do you want to handle it? Tell them to give me free drinks back there? Leave the seat next to me open so I have some extra room? Usually at that point they kick an employee out of first class.

1. Been there, done that, enough times to where I should get a free t-shirt. Literally I've gone to the farthest back seat, and literally between two heavyset guys who were obviously drunk in the recent past. I get why the lady stole my seat the last time this happened. It was my last experience that made me a little less nice about this sort of thing; that was absolutely miserable. My arms were crammed against my body, pressed up against two smelly fat dudes who reeked of alcohol. That's why I paid extra for the window seat.

2. Yeah it was great! :)

3. You know, everybody "in the industry" that I've told this story to has shared your opinion. The flight attendants, a pilot for ExpressJet, everybody has shared the opinion that this was on her. Oh well, in this one case, it worked out great for me! This is the one and only time it ever has though. I wouldn't expect it to go so awesome in the future.

Since I mostly fly Southwest, and almost always head straight for the last row, I usually don't encounter seat conflicts (though there have been "man-caused" exceptions even there). When I've flown carriers with assigned seats, it oddly seems that I've run into conflicts more often.

I occasionally fly with my family, and although my kids are now old enough to sit by themselves, I empathize with families who want to sit together and therefore have always moved when requested. I've also moved when others have asked, if it's obvious that they're friends and would like to sit together. I do it because I would hope that others would also do it for me, and because I am sympathetic to the FAs who have to deal with this nonsense every day.

However, I would probably be a whole lot less sympathetic if I was caught in the middle of a situation that I perceived to be engineered for someone else's benefit at my expense. If the airline has assigned seats, it's pretty clear that you sit in the seat which you are assigned. Again, I would have no problem considering a request to move, especially if kids are involved. However, in my experience it's the "seasoned citizen" adults who are most likely to fight for something they didn't book but feel entitled to (which also means that if you're in the "A" boarding group and your wife is in "C," you can't save a selection of seats for her choosing when she finally gets there).

JKG

I was trying to jumpseat on Northwest from Minneapolis to Anchorage years back. Jumpseaters usually get the worst seat in the house. The flight was full and no way. I said thank you, I'' try the next flight.

As I turned around, a guy came to me and asked if I was trying to jumpseat. Yes I am. He said hold on a second. He went to the gate agent and spoke with her. She motioned me up and took my credentials, then worked her magic on the computer. The guy explained too me that he will ride in the cockpit and I can have his seat.

I thank him. He told me he works for the company and can ride up front. Again, I thanked him and told him this will make my trip much easier. It usually takes me 4 legs to get to work, this will cut it down the 3. Usually I had to go from Minneapolis to Seattle instead of direct Anchorage.

As I boarded the plane, I stopped and talked to the lead FA as I usually did, then went into the cockpit to thank the captain and crew as well as the guy that gave me his seat. I talked to the lead again for a second, then said I'll take my seat so you can get ready, and started the walk down the aisle. She asked me where are you going? Back to buzzards row. She laughed and said look at your seating assignment. Seat 1A......My day was made..!!!

The other "weird" part of flying first class... you get off the plane, like, immediately! I am always so far back, when the plane stops, it's usually many minutes before I'm able to try to walk the aisle out. In first class, we landed, taxied to the gate, bada-boom, the door was open and I was scrambling to grab my jacket and magazines!

Again, I almost wish I hadn't tasted what it's like, because darn it was good. A fella could get used to that.

I've found that most, if not all people are willing to accommodate to help a family. Sometimes you get the jack wagon in first class who won't move but for the most part, people will move.

I've found that most, if not all people are willing to accommodate to help a family. Sometimes you get the jack wagon in first class who won't move but for the most part, people will move.

yeah, we had a time when I was flying first class with my kid and the only two seats open were separated. The jackwad next to my kid had his aisle seat and would not move. He wanted the aisle - not the window. So I said ok - got my kid all settled [he was / is autistic and was 8 at the time and could talk your ear off about Thomas the Tank Engine - which was the only reason why he talked] and off we went for a 6 hour flight from Boston to San Francisco.

By the time we got to Lake Erie this guy got up and came over and asked if I wanted to sit next to my kid . . . sometimes you just don't need to over react.

I've always had good service on Sun Country, but they are not big. I like that they are the "Spirit of Braniff," started with a bunch of Braniff folks.

Back