Avoiding stolen Garmin 430s

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I've been keeping my eye out for a used 430. I know at least two people who've had 430s stolen from their airplanes. I want to avoid a "hot" 430 purchase. I assume these have some kind of internal identification. Does Garmin keep track of stolen serial numbers?

I've been keeping my eye out for a used 430. I know at least two people who've had 430s stolen from their airplanes. I want to avoid a "hot" 430 purchase. I assume these have some kind of internal identification. Does Garmin keep track of stolen serial numbers?

Yes they do, but the current scam is to steal a garmin then swap it out for a unit in some other unsuspecting pilots plane so when you get the one you purchased from craigslist or ebay (or what ever) it will not show up stolen on the garmin database.

Unfortunately now there are planes that HAD legit units in their plane now have stolen units. :mad2:

If you really want a used 430 ,I would go to a reputable avionics dealer.

I'm not familiar with the 430 but wouldn't all the user waypoints and routes change with the swap?
Yes, exactly. This would be a clue something is up.

For Loren, I have purchased a 430 and a GTN650 on ebay. Garmin does have a database, not only for stolen units but also for units they have deemed not repairable. Just get the serial number and call Garmin.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the 430 but wouldn't all the user waypoints and routes change with the swap?

Yes, exactly. This would be a clue something is up.

The number of owners I fly with that have 430s that would have a clue how to look at or create user waypoints is quite small. Likewise for having any idea how to create or manage routes.

Most people barely struggle to use the direct to feature and some of them kind of know what the procedure button does, somewhat.

They are swapping them out on rental and multi-pilot charter planes so no one has a clue.:confused:

SO if you purchase through Ebay make sure you leverage purchasing protection through EBAY, but I would recommend purchasing it through an avionics shop and have them install it.

Yes they do, but the current scam is to steal a garmin then swap it out for a unit in some other unsuspecting pilots plane so when you get the one you purchased from craigslist or ebay (or what ever) it will not show up stolen on the garmin database.

Unfortunately now there are planes that HAD legit units in their plane now have stolen units. :mad2:

Amazing. So find a rental to "launder" your stolen radio. :yikes:

They are swapping them out on rental and multi-pilot charter planes so no one has a clue.:confused:

SO if you purchase through Ebay make sure you leverage purchasing protection through EBAY, but I would recommend purchasing it through an avionics shop and have them install it.

Sounds like the safer way to go.

If Avidyne ever gets certification on the IFD440, I will have a 430 to sell.

If Avidyne ever gets certification on the IFD440, I will have a 430 to sell.

That is a nice looking box. But the length of time they've struggled to get certified gives me pause. But it's a great move if they can pull it off.

It's going down to the wire, but the FAA is telling them that they'll get it certified before Oshkosh (yes, the 2014 Oshkosh). July 14 will be a big week for them.

Job security. :D

The number of owners I fly with that have 430s that would have a clue how to look at or create user waypoints is quite small. Likewise for having any idea how to create or manage routes.

Most people barely struggle to use the direct to feature and some of them kind of know what the procedure button does, somewhat.

Can ya give us an outline on how to use the direct-to feature...ya know, help us out a little? (and I can't find this "procedure" button...)

Back