Avitar Sizing

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I'd like to have an avitar. Heck, everybody else does. How do I take a normal digital picture (say I have it as a jpeg file) and make it 100 X 100 pixels or less? I've figured out how to get the file size small enough, but keep getting rejected by the pixels. Any help is very much appreciated.

Use a graphics editing program (like MS Paint) to crop the photo down to under the 100x100 size. If you're using WinXP, the pixel size will be in the dimensions field if you hold your cursor above the photo or in the details area on the left in your folder.

If you're not quite sure how to do it, e-mail me (baustin @ pilotsofamerica.com (take out the spaces)) the pic. I've got all the stuff and it doesn't take long.

I have XP and MSPaint, so if that's all it takes I'm good. I will try this for myself first, but if I fail I'll take you up on your generous offer. Thanks!

I'm attaching the windows xp power image resize tool for anyone who needs it:

Hey, I've got an avitar! Thanks Chuck and Brian.

For the record:

http://www.m-w.com said:
Main Entry: av·a·tar
Pronunciation: 'a-v&-"tär
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit avatAra descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over -- more at [size=-1]UKASE[/size], [size=-1]THROUGH[/size]
1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity
Not applicable in our use, of course...we use this definition...
http://www.terena.nl/library/gnrt/appendix/glossary.html said:
Avatar[size=-1]A graphical image of a user, such as used in graphical real-time Chat applications, or, a graphical personification of a computer or a computer process, intended to make the computing or network environment a more friendly place.

[/size]

Greebo said:
For the record:

Geeze, a spelling flame. :rolleyes:

At least you could talk about the Suns vs the Spurs. ;)

Joe Williams said:
Who are they?

Phoenix (home of Brian) Suns vs San Antonio (my home) Spurs in the NBA Western Division finals..... Spurs up by 2 in the best of 7 series.

Actually I'm acutely aware of spelling errors that I pick up in everything from restaurant menus to national magazines. My son and I have a longstanding game catching such things. I deserved to be flamed and humbly accept the correction. I just noticed that if I'd bothered to use SpellCheck it would have caught it.

Greebo said:
For the record:

Not applicable in our use, of course...we use this definition...

Speak for yourself, I prefer

That is what you see when you look at the side of my posts.

Henning said:
Speak for yourself, I prefer

That is what you see when you look at the side of my posts.
Wow...

I thought as an all powerful Deity, Vishnu would have picked a pleasing form...

(Hey you asked for it...)

Greebo said:
paint will allow you to crop the picture, but if you want to actually shrink a picture (or a cropped picture after you've cropped it), you will need something else, like the picture resizing power toy: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I beg to differ - I use paint to resize pictures - in fact, my avatar was resized in Paint.

You just gotta use the stretch and skew option.

Greebo said:
Wow...

I thought as an all powerful Deity, Vishnu would have picked a pleasing form...

I have tried that in past incarnations, didn't work well, everywhere I went, people laying themselves prostrate and groveling, and the women, couldn't get a wink of sleep. One time I even decided to put my trunk down there if you know what I mean. Figured it would scare the heck out of the women, but noooooo.... That really got obnoxious when the camels came rubbing around.

No no, much better to take this form.:cheerswine:

Back