Avionics upgrade

So, if all works out well, and my wife doesn't shoot me, and my daughter's don't call me for more money, maybe I will show off my new panel at Windwood Fly-in. Provided, of course, I don't decide to blow another tire on landing.

New panel will be an Aspen Avionics with a full complement of backup vacuum gyros, a new Garmin 430W, a KX155, a backup VOR indicator, and a NAV122 backup VOR/LOC w/GS, all installed in a new grey powder coat panel. Should be something to see.

Should turn out pretty nice! Windwood is still a ways away, I would hope it will be done by then. Are the guys at Deck making the new panel and doing the powder coat? Always nice to have some new toys to oogle!!

Gary

Bryon, somehow this reminds me of my friend's kitchen renovation. His wife wanted a bigger, nicer kitchen. By the time they were done with the "While we're there..." items, they went from having the smallest house on the block to replacing the crawlspace attic with a 2nd floor and a finished attic, expanding from a 2-car to a 4-car garage, and ultimately having the largest house on the block... just in time for the kids to move out.

When I had the KLN94 and KX155A installed in my Aztec, the avionics shop ended up adding an unauthorized $3500 worth of "extras." It was all stuff that was good to add - audio input jacks through the Garmin 340 audio panel, redoing wiring that was really iffy and had been done poorly in the first place, a proper PTT for the copilot, etc., but I wasn't happy with the bill. Ultimately, though, I'm glad it was all done, because I haven't had a single problem with the avionics since. Well, excluding the autopilot, which is still something of a work in progress.

I think you'll be very happy with the final result. Having nice avionics may also end up making you fly the plane more, too. Getting rid of the Collins radios I can only see as a good thing - I'm really not a fan of those, and from what I hear they seem to have a couple of unique and annoying service issues.

Should turn out pretty nice! Windwood is still a ways away, I would hope it will be done by then. Are the guys at Deck making the new panel and doing the powder coat? Always nice to have some new toys to oogle!!

Gary
Yes, they are, or maybe he said he has someone who does it for him. i can't remember which. But I have seen pictures of some of the finished results and they look nice.

Yes, they are, or maybe he said he has someone who does it for him. i can't remember which. But I have seen pictures of some of the finished results and they look nice.

That's good to know. I really miss having an avionic shop on the field, Quaker folded a few year ago. made life so much easier. Sounds like you are happy with the Deck folk, I'm due for a transponder cert., maybe I'll give them a shout on pricing and timing.

Gary

Bryon, somehow this reminds me of my friend's kitchen renovation. His wife wanted a bigger, nicer kitchen. By the time they were done with the "While we're there..." items, they went from having the smallest house on the block to replacing the crawlspace attic with a 2nd floor and a finished attic, expanding from a 2-car to a 4-car garage, and ultimately having the largest house on the block... just in time for the kids to move out.

When I had the KLN94 and KX155A installed in my Aztec, the avionics shop ended up adding an unauthorized $3500 worth of "extras." It was all stuff that was good to add - audio input jacks through the Garmin 340 audio panel, redoing wiring that was really iffy and had been done poorly in the first place, a proper PTT for the copilot, etc., but I wasn't happy with the bill. Ultimately, though, I'm glad it was all done, because I haven't had a single problem with the avionics since. Well, excluding the autopilot, which is still something of a work in progress.

I think you'll be very happy with the final result. Having nice avionics may also end up making you fly the plane more, too. Getting rid of the Collins radios I can only see as a good thing - I'm really not a fan of those, and from what I hear they seem to have a couple of unique and annoying service issues.

Unforunately, flying the plane more makes the expenses go up even more. By the time this is done, the only thing I can afford to do is going to be work every day until it is paid off!

I have never had any issues with the collins radios. They have worked perfectly from the day I got the plane. Same is true of all of the avionics, with the exception of the autopilot, which started this whole avalanche.

I should be happy with the result. It will, at least, be the most similar to the rest of the airplanes I fly, making transition a little easier. It was a little difficult to go from one to the other constantly, trying to remember where all the gizmos are located. Still happens for the trim controls, but that's another story.

Unforunately, flying the plane more makes the expenses go up even more. By the time this is done, the only thing I can afford to do is going to be work every day until it is paid off!

True, but you'll have more reason to want to fly it. :)

I have never had any issues with the collins radios. They have worked perfectly from the day I got the plane. Same is true of all of the avionics, with the exception of the autopilot, which started this whole avalanche.

Interesting. My only experiences with the Collins has been that the numbers don't like to work right and that their diodes will tend to go out and cause issues. They probably work great until that happens.

I should be happy with the result. It will, at least, be the most similar to the rest of the airplanes I fly, making transition a little easier. It was a little difficult to go from one to the other constantly, trying to remember where all the gizmos are located. Still happens for the trim controls, but that's another story.

I got into the Aztec on Friday after having not flown it in a month, but putting about 40 hours or so on a 310 with a significantly different panel layout. Definitely felt a bit weird, the Aztec and the 310 don't have the same sight picture at all, doubly so with the different panels and also different control feels, plus avionics that differ 100%. But I was back to feeling at home in about 30 seconds. :)

I got into the Aztec on Friday after having not flown it in a month, but putting about 40 hours or so on a 310 with a significantly different panel layout. Definitely felt a bit weird, the Aztec and the 310 don't have the same sight picture at all, doubly so with the different panels and also different control feels, plus avionics that differ 100%. But I was back to feeling at home in about 30 seconds. :)

Helps that you have flown it so much, for long trips, that your seats are molded to your body. :D

Helps that you have flown it so much, for long trips, that your seats are molded to your body. :D

Yeah, the 310's seats aren't molded to my body yet. ;)

The lots of long trips does help, as does just automatically knowing where everything is. My landing was even pretty greasy. However it still did feel different at first.

You do get used to what you fly. Even hopping into a 172 or PA-28 that I'm not familiar with I do have to spend a bit looking at the panel, mostly for the different layout and to find where all the switches are. In the things I'm used to, it's just all automatic.

Anticipation does not make it any sweeter. It just annoys the heck out of me.....

Sounds like you're going to have some pretty fun stuff to play around with...I see you're from Elizabethtown, I'm actually from Elizabethville. Where do you keep your plane at?

How sweet it is. All done but the reams of paperwork. I went to see it today. Man, it looks clean and efficient. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. Suffice it to say that if it works as good as it looks, I'll be well pleased.

Picked up Twinkie today. Hardly remembered how to fly it. That setup is absolutely awesome. GPS Steering is incredible. Follows an approach perfectly. And that Aspen unit puts everything in one spot. Did I mention this is awesome?

Pictures, Bryon, pictures!

So are you going to give p flying the Aerostar now? ;)

Pictures as soon as I remember my camera.

Heck no, are you kidding? I worked way too hard to give up on the Aerostar now.

Darn, I'd be interested in flying it if there was an open seat.

????? He must be to busy working, or having fun flying it to share pics.... :ihih:
Shoot, I thought I did it already and nobody bothered to comment on them. Apparently, my post and pictures did not make it to the board. This was weeks ago.

I'll try again.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
Very nice!! A new clean panel makes the work space look so much nicer. Glad to hear you are happy with the result as well. Looks Great!

Very nice!! A new clean panel makes the work space look so much nicer. Glad to hear you are happy with the result as well. Looks Great!
I'd be even happier if I'd had any time to fly it, considering 1 week after it was done I had to take it in for annual, and we had to put a cylinder on it, as well as replace a stabilator bearing. It is a real job removing the stabilator and torque tube asm on that beast. With any luck, however, it should be back together and passed the annual in a few days. And then I get to fly and play with it all the way to Nashville, TN.

Well, shoot, now that it is all prettied up and annualled and back to working, I have to sell it.:dunno:

Here is why:

I took a trip to Nashville to see my daughter and granddaughter. Trip down was reasonably relaxing and not too much headwind. 3:40 and 62 gallons burned. Quite nice actually. 162 KTAS and at around 16 GPH.

Spent the Thanksgiving weekend with them having a feast and enjoying the company. Even gave my granddaughter and terrified daughter a quick easy flight around there house so they could see their house from the air.

Then the trip home Sunday. Cleared direct to S37 from M33. Wow. (until you get to Potomac, of course.) 164 KTAS @ around 16.5 GPH. Slight tailwind. 3:15 and 56 gallons.

Did I mention that I set the autopilot on both legs? Oops, silly me. I programed the GPS, set the heading bug on the autopliot to GPSS, leveled off at altitude and set the altitude hold on the autopliot, and sat back and watched Twinkie fly me to Nashville and back. I didn't have to do anything. I felt useless. What is the term from Star Trek...Captain Dunsel? :D

Man is this stuff sweet!!!!

Well, shoot, now that it is all prettied up and annualled and back to working, I have to sell it.:dunno:

:hairraise:

Did I mention that I set the autopilot on both legs? Oops, silly me. I programed the GPS, set the heading bug on the autopliot to GPSS, leveled off at altitude and set the altitude hold on the autopliot, and sat back and watched Twinkie fly me to Nashville and back. I didn't have to do anything. I felt useless.

Phew! I thought you were serious. ;)

It would be nice for one of us if it was really for sale.

So you say you don't like riding in an airplane.

Your feeling useless.

Nothing to do but look out the Window.

I'm sure theres an App for that.:D

Back