Avionics upgrade

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Anyone know any good avionics installers in Delaware or anywhere without a state sales tax? My partner and I want to seriously upgrade Twinkie now, and he would prefer not to spend any more than necessary. Not a terribly bad idea, but I want to make sure it is a decent and reliable shop.

There are a number of excellent avionics shops in PA, particularly Lancaster Avionics, who did a brilliant job redoing my panel. Is saving the sales tax worth bypassing known top quality work closer to home?

There are a number of excellent avionics shops in PA, particularly Lancaster Avionics, who did a brilliant job redoing my panel. Is saving the sales tax worth bypassing known top quality work closer to home?
No. Just asking for suggestions and experiences. I am familiar with Lancaster Avionics, as I had some work done there. I had no problems with them, although they were a little pricier than others. Good work, though. That doesn't mean that other shops reasonably close by aren't also good. I had some suggestions from the outfit I worked for, so I wanted to follow up on those as well. It is difficult, though, to get apples to apples comparison for an estimate, because there are so many variations of panels I could do, and each shop seems to have their own opinion of what would work best.

Last edited:
I am familiar with Lancaster Avionics, as I had some work done there. I had no problems with them, although they were a little pricier than others. Good work, though.
You may not always get what you pay for in this world, but you rarely get that for which you did not pay. In the case of Lancaster Avionics, I feel I get quality that justifies the price. YMMV.

The one time I attempted to deal with Lancaster Avionics they couldn't get me in for several weeks and didn't want to do what I wanted them to do, and the prices were definitely going to be high. I may give them another shot some other time, but I have a few other places that work with me better. Then again, for me turnaround time is important.

Committed my money today.:( But, hopefully, it will work out in the end. Can't stand putting that much into a panel, but it should make flight in IMC a lot easier to deal with.:yesnod: I am tired of hand flying everything. Gets kind of tiring after a long cross country. Have to work for a few more years though, I guess.

Settled on an STEC 30 w/ alt hold and an Aspen Avionics EFD 1000 Pro. Losing a few boat anchors and updating the panel to a standard configuration.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the EFD 1000. Just make sure you getting the latest software update (Ver. 2.0 or higher). It was considered "optional" by Aspen, but if you do much night flying you'll appreciate the lower brightness setting available, plus a few other user friendly improvements.

Committed my money today.:( But, hopefully, it will work out in the end. Can't stand putting that much into a panel, but it should make flight in IMC a lot easier to deal with.:yesnod: I am tired of hand flying everything. Gets kind of tiring after a long cross country. Have to work for a few more years though, I guess.

Settled on an STEC 30 w/ alt hold and an Aspen Avionics EFD 1000 Pro. Losing a few boat anchors and updating the panel to a standard configuration.

When is she going in?

Bryon, I always figured you (like me) really enjoy having TWO. Good luck on this one. It'll work out great....

When is she going in?
I purchased it now to take advantage of a $1000 rebate from Aspen. I asked the shop to wait until the plane isn't being flown as much to install it. That will likely be in the winter, unless I can't wait any longer, in which case I'll just get it done soon!

That will likely be in the winter, unless I can't wait any longer, in which case I'll just get it done soon!

Let's be realistic here... a box of new fancy electronics with spiffy blinking multi-colred lights and knobs to turn and futz with... will be calling you... "install me... install me..."

I'd guess sooner rather than later. :D

Gary

How long do they figure it will take? I'd think it shouldn't be more than 2 weeks or so if they schedule things properly.

Let's be realistic here... a box of new fancy electronics with spiffy blinking multi-colred lights and knobs to turn and futz with... will be calling you... "install me... install me..."

I'd guess sooner rather than later. :D

Gary

I am strong...I am strong....oh shoot!

How long do they figure it will take? I'd think it shouldn't be more than 2 weeks or so if they schedule things properly.

He originally said 4 weeks, but I trimmed the amount down by eliminating pieces. It is probably less now. But my partner flies every weekend. I'd hate to keep him out of the plane.

He originally said 4 weeks, but I trimmed the amount down by eliminating pieces. It is probably less now. But my partner flies every weekend. I'd hate to keep him out of the plane.

Yeah, for me having the thing down for two weeks could be problematic. The winter is better seeing as there are a lot of bad flying weekends.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the result! I'm with Bruce... it's nice having two.

Yeah, for me having the thing down for two weeks could be problematic. The winter is better seeing as there are a lot of bad flying weekends.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the result! I'm with Bruce... it's nice having two.
Well, you ought to be real happy with the added power and speed and capability of that Mitsubishi, then.:D

Well, you ought to be real happy with the added power and speed and capability of that Mitsubishi, then.:D

Yeah, but those TPE-331s are like giant bumble bees buzzing. PT-6 all the way for me. ;)

Ted, Bryon is comming to the FlyBQ. I'm betting between you, me, Ed and a few of the other guys we could get his panel pulled and the installation done by the time we get to the third round of Margaritas at Tamarindos. I have a decent set of tools and I just got a new wire cutter and needle nose pliers so we should be good to go!:yikes::D:rofl:

Ted, Bryon is comming to the FlyBQ. I'm betting between you, me, Ed and a few of the other guys we could get his panel pulled and the installation done by the time we get to the third round of Margaritas at Tamarindos. I have a decent set of tools and I just got a new wire cutter and needle nose pliers so we should be good to go!:yikes::D:rofl:

You're gonna give new meaning to the term "Shotgun Panel":rofl:

I think I am going to rent something, now!

1st image from:
http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2000/Cartoons/
2nd image from here:
http://madscientistnz.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/a-disassembled-car/

Attachments

• repairman-small.gif
    repairman-small.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 11
  • disassembled.jpg
    disassembled.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 14
This sounds like a great excuse to fly out to Las Vegas. I don't believe Nevada has a sales tax. I don't know for sure but there should be a decent avionics shop at either North Las Vegas or Henderson Executive.

If you play your cards right, the upgrade might just be free.

John

This sounds like a great excuse to fly out to Las Vegas. I don't believe Nevada has a sales tax. I don't know for sure but there should be a decent avionics shop at either North Las Vegas or Henderson Executive.

John
Unfortunately, the cost to get there would far outweigh the tax, and I don't play cards very well, so it would likely cost me three times as much.:D

ooooooohhhhhhhhh. All of the new magic stuff is at the avionics shop. All I have to do now is schedule a time to have it installed. Wow. What it will be like to just set up the autopilot to fly where I want to go. Holding course and altitude by itself. I'll get so bored watching it fly itself. Oh well, at least the controllers won't wonder why I keep going up and down 300 feet when going through bumpy IMC.

John

Nevada does have a sales tax, and the best radio shop in the area is at VGT which would mean about a 7.5% tax.

Our engine overhaul (off airport) charged "labor", no sales tax on labor. We did our own Remove and Reinstall.

ooooooohhhhhhhhh. All of the new magic stuff is at the avionics shop. All I have to do now is schedule a time to have it installed. Wow. What it will be like to just set up the autopilot to fly where I want to go. Holding course and altitude by itself. I'll get so bored watching it fly itself. Oh well, at least the controllers won't wonder why I keep going up and down 300 feet when going through bumpy IMC.

Having a functional autopilot takes all the fun out of flying. That's why I've left mine only partially functiona. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Glad to hear the work's moving along. Good luck!

Bryon,

Can you say where you are having the work done?

Having it done at Smart Avionics at Deck (9D4) The charter company I was working at for a while had quite a bit of work done there and they do good work at a reasonable price. And its not too far away. Ben is a down to earth guy to deal with.

Well, if all goes well, you guys can drool at the new panel in October at the Windwood Fly in. Dropping it off at the end of August with instructions that it has to be completed before October.
:fcross:
We'll see how it pans out. Either I'll be there with a new panel or another plane. Maybe I'll end up with the Aztec I used to fly.

Some shops won't order the equipment until they have some money to secure their position. It's not uncommon for the shops to experience a shipping delay, especially with autopilots, due to the unique requirements for each airplane for which the equipment is certified. IOW, don't get caught in a logistics trap that might unnecessarily delay the job.

Well, if all goes well, you guys can drool at the new panel in October at the Windwood Fly in. Dropping it off at the end of August with instructions that it has to be completed before October.
:fcross:
We'll see how it pans out. Either I'll be there with a new panel or another plane. Maybe I'll end up with the Aztec I used to fly.

Some shops won't order the equipment until they have some money to secure their position. It's not uncommon for the shops to experience a shipping delay, especially with autopilots, due to the unique requirements for each airplane for which the equipment is certified. IOW, don't get caught in a logistics trap that might unnecessarily delay the job.

He already has everything. It was me who delayed the installation. I didn't want to part with the airplane for that long in the middle of summer.

I seem to remember your Aztec sliding along the ground in a neighborhood... was it saved?

That was my personal (partnered) Aztec. This is the one I flew for Charter for a year. It doesn't get a lot of flying anymore since the economy dipped a bit. The owner allows me to rent it for a very reasonable price if I want to use it. Unfortunately, even with that break in price, the fuel is a killer on longer trips. 18 gph is much preferrable to 28 gph. I can, however, haul everything, including the kitchen sink. It is difficult to load the Aztec up to max, but I have done it before.

Well, Twinkie is in the shop being torn apart now. Only one day into it and Ben comes back to me and tells me the Collins won't work with the Aspen, and all of the work that he will have to make it work, along with other modifications, will cost enough more that he sold me a Garmin 430W and a used KX155 at "cost". It will ease his installation and give me a lot more bang for the buck. Dang, I did not want to spend this much.

As I look back on the progression of this panel upgrade, I recall it all started with wanting a reasonably capable autopilot for all of the IMC cross country flights I make. (all 4 or 5 of them a year :D) Any capable auto pilot required the changing of my DG, and, depending on the unit, my AI. For the price of those changes, I could get an Aspen unit if I kept my autopilot to a altitude hold model instead of a glide slope capture model. A few iterations here and there, a few changes here and there, and the price went from 12-14K on up through 24K and on up to 28K, which is where I thought I had it capped. My partner really wanted a 430W, but since he wasn't ponying up any cash, he had no say in the matter. Fast forward to yesterday, one day after I dropped it off. Ben calls me and tells me things aren't gonna work so well. For $7500 I'll throw in a new 430W and a used KX155. Everyone's life will be much better. Except now I have to add more money into this money pit in the sky.

So, if all works out well, and my wife doesn't shoot me, and my daughter's don't call me for more money, maybe I will show off my new panel at Windwood Fly-in. Provided, of course, I don't decide to blow another tire on landing.

New panel will be an Aspen Avionics with a full complement of backup vacuum gyros, a new Garmin 430W, a KX155, a backup VOR indicator, and a NAV122 backup VOR/LOC w/GS, all installed in a new grey powder coat panel. Should be something to see.

New panel will be an Aspen Avionics with a full complement of backup vacuum gyros, a new Garmin 430W, a KX155, a backup VOR indicator, and a NAV122 backup VOR/LOC w/GS, all installed in a new grey powder coat panel. Should be something to see.

Nice!

Now I need to come to Windwood so I can drool on your plane again. ;)

Back