Avionics Technicians /repairmen

They produce A&Ps with no usable experience, we all started some where.

Sure on A&Ps but a new guy can't get an IA until after some experience. I don't think the feds would break the system to certify new repairmen and turn them loose. Experienced guys that would actually help you or me, I think they're making those inroads as we speak. It's not for avionics but for composite repairs. There's strong support to make composite guys a stand alone rating due to the extensive training and specialized equipment. And there's nothing in current general training programs that address it. I believe in the next 5 years we'll see a composite rating/certificate just like the path NDT went which allows certain NDT techs to sign there own work because no one is qualified to inspect it.

Getting a CRS to be a one-man freelance Avionics Tech isn't hard to do. Rent a T-Hangar or work with a maintenance facility to use as a base of operation and get the OpSpec to work offsite. Let the Feds know what you intend to do and they will help you through the process. I applied to be a one-man shop with room to expand. It took 3 months from initial contact to having my certificate in hand.

That being said, I started out with the intention of performing pitot/static checks and maintenance at the customer's hangar. After a short period of time, I dialed that back and now only travel in case of emergency. There is way too much work out there for an experienced avionics tech, and it's only going to get worse as the ADS-B deadline approaches. There just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done if I have to spend a chunk of it packing up and driving to a different airport.

There's strong support to make composite guys a stand alone rating due to the extensive training and specialized equipment.
doesn't that apply to the Av tech's too?

Getting a CRS to be a one-man freelance Avionics Tech isn't hard to do. Rent a T-Hangar or work with a maintenance facility to use as a base of operation and get the OpSpec to work offsite. Let the Feds know what you intend to do and they will help you through the process. I applied to be a one-man shop with room to expand. It took 3 months from initial contact to having my certificate in hand.

That being said, I started out with the intention of performing pitot/static checks and maintenance at the customer's hangar. After a short period of time, I dialed that back and now only travel in case of emergency. There is way too much work out there for an experienced avionics tech, and it's only going to get worse as the ADS-B deadline approaches. There just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done if I have to spend a chunk of it packing up and driving to a different airport.
Point very well made, and you are right, it is only going to get worse.

There's strong support to make composite guys a stand alone rating due to the extensive training and specialized equipment.
One of the most highly respected composite training facilities in the world (ABARIS) offers a 5 day General Aviation Composite Repair course, as well as several other 5 day Advanced Composite Fabrication and Repair courses.

Very valid points made here, (TYVM) why should an avionic tech be required to gain a A portion of the A&P to do what they do?
The other great point made was the old stuff is going away, Narco is already gone, king is well on its way, and the new era equipment isn't fixable in the field. So that brings us down to installs, trouble shooting, and replacements.
Maybe because they're working on a airframe? There's often more than shoving a box in a hole involved.

Back