• to be of no value to general aviation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Patrick

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pat
Hi all,

those of you with avionics/engine monitors that record log-files (eg Garmin G5/275/3X/1000/3000 …, Avidyne …, Dynon etc..) might be interested in looking at the data.

This is a software prototype I’m affiliated with. We have a number of initial users now who are very happy with it covering pretty much the entire GA spectrum, from a C177 Cardinal with a G5+CGR30 eng. monitor, lots of G1000 birds up to some turbines. We think its useful for owners, pilots, clubs… you name it to get valuable insights.

You can see how a flight looks like here:

https://www.flysto.net/logs/os5427ag

Login to upload your own logs here https://www.flysto.net

It is free to sign up and use.

If you have any avionics we don’t „know“ yet that you’d like to see supported, please reach out. I’ll monitor this thread.

Safe flights,
Pat

I have a serial data logger that uses a Raspberry Pi to log serial data from a couple of Dynon boxes and a GPS. I prefer the higher sample rate of the serial data, but I'm using it for performance data analysis, not FOQA. I don't really like the extra scrutiny "real" FOQA implies for GA, when the homebuilt community by and large already does a decent job of policing itself.

Nauga,
who doesn't have a big brother

Yes, serial data from multiple sources is even better and gives more resolution. Sounds like you built yourself a great and useful device there.

Obviously a „real“ FOQA used e.g. at the airlines or military is mandatory as in the „users“ don’t have a choice. There’s checks and balances in play though and a functional just culture goes a long way.

I don’t think that it’s directly comparable or applicable regarding scrutiny to GA flying, which is also much more diverse. Hence I wrote „FOQA“ (in quotation marks).

I do think putting the data newer avionics in GA planes provide to use has many benefits for those who want to do that.

Last edited:
I think you mean quotation marks, but we get what you're saying. The trend certainly seems to be towards the collection of more data and analysis. What it is used for is another discussion. I don't see any real reason for concern, at least in part 91 ops. I recall certain people freaking out 20 years ago when the major auto makers started putting data loggers in their new vehicles. Now, not so much.

C.

Oops, thanks. Exclamation changed to quotation ;)

Back