Avidyne customer service (vs. Garmin)?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Went to talk to my local avionics shop about panel re-do options in conjunction with the possible replacement of a GNS430W with an Avidyne IFD-540.

The first 15 minutes of the conversation were horror stories about how awful Avidyne is to work with: They're not concerned about your down time, they charge exorbitant prices for simple software updates, they won't work with you on costs based on circumstances, etc., etc.

I told her I thought I'd heard all those same complaints about Garmin, too. While she didn't go overboard on singing Garmin's praises in her response, she clearly had an opinion about which company was better to work with.

I've not heard a preponderance of negative feedback re: Avidyne. Is there a reputation out there that I'm not aware of?

Full disclaimer: I really _want_ to like Avidyne. Garmin's the 800-lb gorilla these days, and needs some competition. If Avidyne can ever get their IFDs to market, I think they'll be good competitors to the GTNs, and I'm seriously considering buying one.

Should I be listening to the warning my avionics shop is giving me?

We work on IBM clones PC's. We have built thousands of them. When a guy comes in asking about Apple, I will do everything I can to dissuade him from going that route.

There are 10,000 IBM programs out there. Businesses mostly run on IBM. Real Computers Run IBM compatible programs. Apple is for kids, artists and those not interested in doing real work.

We work on Apple but we just do not like them.

These are my truths but that does not mean that someone might be better off buying an Apple.

Garmin/Avidyne?

If a guy has installed 100 installs of 1 and only a few of the other he is going to prefer that which he is most comfortable with. I would not accept a single data point from anyone on any subject.

I'd ask the service rep exactly how many Avidyne installs do you have under your belt? Then I would go find someone who had a bunch and see if he tells the same myths.

Avidyne is about $5k below the Garmin equivalent so I suspect that the dealer margins are lower as well. So more trouble to figure out how to install and less margin. Equals more risk.

Last edited:
I put a deposit on a IFD 440. This will be my first Avidyne product.

There was a not so complementary article here: http://www.aviationlawmonitor.com/2...with-limited-time-offer-of-extended-warranty/
I posted that article on the Avidyne forum for comment. This was their reply:
The IFD540 is being offered with a two year warranty for any customers that have taken advantage of our pre-buy program. At this time we have not announced any extended warranty programs or repair pricing. We expect that to be available when the product is in full rate production.

The $5,900 flat rate charge for post warranty service figure gives a startling first impression. If however one considers the cost of the Entegra / R-9 equipment it covers, the $5,900 seems in line with the industry based on a percentage of initial equipment cost. It is concerning however that service cost is not hammered down prior to putting down a deposit.

I had very good experience with Garmin repair service. In some instances they didn't charge and even sent me a replacement new unit. Overall turn around was one week. I have no experience with Avidyne. But the fact that the IFD-540 has taken longer than the GTN-750 or even the G530 tells me something about their limited resources. After all the IFD-540 is clone of the G530 down to the contact pin. Why it has taken that long.

José

Tony, that was my first thought when she started talking. "There's something better in it for her with Garmin than with Avidyne." That's why I told her it sounded like the same complaints I've heard about Garmin and asked for some specifics.

Really, aside from one example where a customer had to get a "simple software update" and Avidyne charged some $3K for it, she couldn't give me specifics. And I didn't get a whole lot of specifics about that situation, either. I know it was an Entegra system, and that the customer was interfacing a new piece of equipment (autopilot?), and it wouldn't work without the new software, and it had to be done at the factory, not in the field.

I know the Entegra systems have been through some major software evolution over the years. $3K for an upgrade is not necessarily out of line in my mind, depending on what the upgrade was. There could very well have been a legitimate reason why it couldn't be done in the field (wasn't purely a software upgrade, but also a hardware mod too, for instance).

But then again, she could have had other experiences that colored her opinion, and she just couldn't articulate them to me clearly, so I thought I'd ask around....

I don't have kind things to say about the boys in Olathe. I had my Garmin audio panel die which pretty much puts me AOG in the DC area airspace. The repair policy is crappy. No loaner and a flat rate service which in addition to being SLOW was a good percentage of the price of a new unit. Of course, they were more than freaking happy to fedex me overnight a brand new unit that I ended up having to buy.

Anybody want a GMA340 that makes COM1 sound like a kazoo? Comes with a new rack.

Back