Aviation upholstery

Gabriel Garcia

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gabriel Garcia
Hi my name is Gabe. I’ve got an upholstery shop in California that specializes in Marine upholstery. The reason I’m posting is because my shop is located next to a flight line on an airport. One of the pilots told us it was the perfect location to do aircraft interiors because people could probably fly in and taxi close to our shop. I am not familiar with the aviation community and I don’t know if there is big enough demand for me to get into doing aircraft. Any insight is much appreciated.

Welcome, Gabe

In 1978, there were some 27,000 piston single aircraft built. 40 years later, less than 2% of that.

The market for refurb of decades old aircraft is all that keeps us in the air.

A good interior shop is hard to find. But there are lots of regulatory hoops to understand, so make sure to put some effort into learning that.

Good luck!

While there isn't that many airplanes out there, there aren't a whole lot of aircraft upholstery shops. I actually had an auto place do my plane as the first aircraft they ever did. They went on to do quite a few more. What you need to do is go to the airport and talk to the mechanic's shops there. There are two reasons for this. First, they are the ones that are going to give you the best referrals. Second, in many cases, the owner and you are going to need their assistance in reassembling the plane after you complete things.

Depending on the age of the plane, the requirements for the materials change. Older planes only require materials determined to be "flame resistant." Most of the auto stuff meets that requirement as does natural leather. Newer planes require that flame resistance to meet FAA-approved testing (or have some of it specifically tested first). Still, there's a lot of the automotive stuff that already meets the FAA approval. The auto shop sent me a whole box of swatches that already had approval numbers in their specs.

Any insight is much appreciated
To follow some of the comments above, most of the aircraft interiors I changed were recovered by a local upholstery shop. Brilliant craftsman who could recover anything. As mentioned, seek out local aviation mechanics, but also visit the local FBO (aircraft gas station) at the airport on a Saturday morning for a cup of coffee and talk to some local pilots about this idea. Not all recovering requires a mechanic to be involved. Maybe the pilot who suggested this to you can help. And while being close to the airport is a plus, the shop I used was a 20 minute drive away.

Yes, there are various rules and regulations on the aviation side when it comes to disassembly/reassembly, materials used, etc. but there are none pertaining directly to the cutting/forming/sewing of the upholstery materials. However, the finished product must meet a certain standard that the mechanic or pilot/owner will accept. I was never dissatisfied with any finished product received from my local shop.

Also, if you have the equipment, carpeting and headliners can be included in the services offered. Nothing like a complete recover top to bottom. Removable padded seat covers were also a big hit.

As a side note, most aircraft must be inspected once every 12 months, which usually entails the aircraft to be disassembled/reassembled over a period of time. This is when a lot of pilot/owners usually comply with upholstery upgrades and the like. The inspection requires an additional authorization for the mechanic, so it is something to inquire about with the mechanics you talk to.

Just keep it simple and stick to what you know best, upholstery, and leave all the other details to the mechanic or pilot/owner. Unfortunately, my local upholsterer passed away a number of years ago and I quit offering the service. However, if he were still around, it would have made a great retirement job to earn some beer money. Post more questions if you need.

You are for sure in demand Gabe. Right now there are a handful of online upholstery places but you have to ship your seats for example, to them and they ship them back. It is a Godsend to be able to actually talk to the guy working on the interior and getting exactly what you wanted. This is what I did. On the advice of a hangar neighbor, I bought the leather and took it and my ideas to a local upholstery shop which he recommended. They did an excellent job, I got exactly what I wanted and at a fraction of the price the online guys wanted. Leave a few of your business cards and perhaps a flyer at the FBO/s at your airport. Pilots like to show and tell so if you do a good job for your first customer, you are sure to get more. Good luck.

Be careful. Any interior work I have been involved in has had an element of maintenance attached to it.

Once had crew seats redone really nice with leather and sheepskin. But they disassembled the seat to do the work and then reassembled it wrong. Belts backwards, wrong webbing on the shoulder straps, missing hardware.

Learn the rules. If you aren’t a repair station don’t advertise that you provide aircraft interior installations. Remain a subcontractor for the primary mechanic or owner. Let them bring parts to you and let them do the re-installation.

Learn the rules. If you aren’t a repair station don’t advertise that you provide aircraft interior installations. Remain a subcontractor for the primary mechanic or owner. Let them bring parts to you and let them do the re-installation.
You do not need to be a Repair station to legally repair/replace the interior of an aircraft.

Since you are already in business close to airport it sounds like you can add this line without having to do enough business to support a full shop’s overhead. That’s a great position to be in adding to your business.

Gabe, anyone with the skills can legally make general aviation aircraft interiors. The only burden you have, is providing a burn certificate for the materials used. That's pretty easy to accomplish and most quality automotive interior products pass the burn test. There are companies that do the test for a nominal fee. A burn certificate pertains to a specific Lot of material and not the brand and model number of that Lot. Shops tend to buy lots of material to say that whole Lot was certified with one burn test. Of course you could up charge the customer for a new burn certificate if they want something custom.

It's helpful to provide the before and after weight of each interior piece; or you can place this responsibility on the aircraft owner.

The aircraft owner is responsible to ensure a new "weight and balance" calculation is performed for the new interior by their licensed mechanic. Also some of the removal and installation of the interior is that of the licensed mechanic and the mechanic also makes the logbook entries. An owner can remove his seats and carpet and with door cards and headliners and any plastic parts for leather/vinyl wrapping in most cases.

These interiors are like 1950's/1960's cars. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
The only burden you have is providing a burn certificate for the materials
Only required for part 23 aircraft and you can either have it tested or use already approved materials.

These guys in England are now out of business. But this is what a lot of was want:
upload_2016-9-20_22-6-36-png.48006

upload_2016-9-20_22-1-34-png.48004

Be careful. Any interior work I have been involved in has had an element of maintenance attached to it.

Once had crew seats redone really nice with leather and sheepskin. But they disassembled the seat to do the work and then reassembled it wrong. Belts backwards, wrong webbing on the shoulder straps, missing hardware.

That’s really unfortunate. I always try to take pictures of everything before and during disassembley.

You are for sure in demand Gabe. Right now there are a handful of online upholstery places but you have to ship your seats for example, to them and they ship them back. It is a Godsend to be able to actually talk to the guy working on the interior and getting exactly what you wanted. This is what I did. On the advice of a hangar neighbor, I bought the leather and took it and my ideas to a local upholstery shop which he recommended. They did an excellent job, I got exactly what I wanted and at a fraction of the price the online guys wanted. Leave a few of your business cards and perhaps a flyer at the FBO/s at your airport. Pilots like to show and tell so if you do a good job for your first customer, you are sure to get more. Good luck.
While there isn't that many airplanes out there, there aren't a whole lot of aircraft upholstery shops. I actually had an auto place do my plane as the first aircraft they ever did. They went on to do quite a few more. What you need to do is go to the airport and talk to the mechanic's shops there. There are two reasons for this. First, they are the ones that are going to give you the best referrals. Second, in many cases, the owner and you are going to need their assistance in reassembling the plane after you complete things.

Depending on the age of the plane, the requirements for the materials change. Older planes only require materials determined to be "flame resistant." Most of the auto stuff meets that requirement as does natural leather. Newer planes require that flame resistance to meet FAA-approved testing (or have some of it specifically tested first). Still, there's a lot of the automotive stuff that already meets the FAA approval. The auto shop sent me a whole box of swatches that already had approval numbers in their specs.

I was talking on the phone with someone from
The AOPA and he said something similar about possibly having to have someone certified to sign off on anything that might come off the air frame. Something else that I came to mind was if I had to take off any gauges or wiring that would require extensive know how to reconnect correctly.

To follow some of the comments above, most of the aircraft interiors I changed were recovered by a local upholstery shop. Brilliant craftsman who could recover anything. As mentioned, seek out local aviation mechanics, but also visit the local FBO (aircraft gas station) at the airport on a Saturday morning for a cup of coffee and talk to some local pilots about this idea. Not all recovering requires a mechanic to be involved. Maybe the pilot who suggested this to you can help. And while being close to the airport is a plus, the shop I used was a 20 minute drive away.

Yes, there are various rules and regulations on the aviation side when it comes to disassembly/reassembly, materials used, etc. but there are none pertaining directly to the cutting/forming/sewing of the upholstery materials. However, the finished product must meet a certain standard that the mechanic or pilot/owner will accept. I was never dissatisfied with any finished product received from my local shop.

Also, if you have the equipment, carpeting and headliners can be included in the services offered. Nothing like a complete recover top to bottom. Removable padded seat covers were also a big hit.

As a side note, most aircraft must be inspected once every 12 months, which usually entails the aircraft to be disassembled/reassembled over a period of time. This is when a lot of pilot/owners usually comply with upholstery upgrades and the like. The inspection requires an additional authorization for the mechanic, so it is something to inquire about with the mechanics you talk to.

Just keep it simple and stick to what you know best, upholstery, and leave all the other details to the mechanic or pilot/owner. Unfortunately, my local upholsterer passed away a number of years ago and I quit o the service. However, if he were still around, it would have made a great retirement job to earn some beer money. Post more questions if you need.
Extra beer money is always good! Thank you for the reply

Thank you for all of the replies. I feel like I’ve got some direction and now I have a better idea of what I would need to do to branch out. I use to be an aviation ordnanceman in the marines and working on aircraft again is something that I would really enjoy doing.
Thank you again for the information and advice. If anyone would like to contact me my email adress is Gabe.upholstery@gmail.com

Since you are already in business close to airport it sounds like you can add this line without having to do enough business to support a full shop’s overhead. That’s a great position to be in adding to your business.
That’s what I was hoping I could do. We are pretty busy with boats but I would like to expand.

Some really nice looking upholstery. What was their name?

If you do quality work, you will find a lot of interest. Like other have said, really good interior guys are very hard to find. Most of the door cards are really like a 1960's car and very easy to recreate. Comfortable seats are very difficult to acquire. Keep an eye on not adding too much extra weight as it reduces the overall carrying capacity of the plane afterwards.

Jason from www.customaircrafttrimmers.com has reformed as: https://cooperscabincraft.com/lightaircraft.html

There are 4 levels of service areas to address. Eventually you may offer all 4, but it's OK to start with just one like seats and door cards.

Four areas:
1) Carpet or vinyl flooring kit
2) Headliners new or repainted if solid or re-sewn if vinyl or fabric
3) Plastic part fitting and installation or leather/vinyl wrapping existing plastics, or just re-laquering existing plastic to match. (Lacquer is naturally UV resistant)
4) Seating reupholstery, with metal frame repainting, and new door cards.

If you do quality work, you will find a lot of interest. Like other have said, really good interior guys are very hard to find. Most of the door cards are really like a 1960's car and very easy to recreate. Comfortable seats are very difficult to acquire. Keep an eye on not adding too much extra weight as it reduces the overall carrying capacity of the plane afterwards.

Jason from www.customaircrafttrimmers.com has reformed as: https://cooperscabincraft.com/lightaircraft.html

There are 4 levels of service areas to address. Eventually you may offer all 4, but it's OK to start with just one like seats and door cards.

Four areas:
1) Carpet or vinyl flooring kit
2) Headliners new or repainted if solid or re-sewn if vinyl or fabric
3) Plastic part fitting and installation or leather/vinyl wrapping existing plastics, or just re-laquering existing plastic to match. (Lacquer is naturally UV resistant)
4) Seating reupholstery, with metal frame repainting, and new door cards.
I know a lot of the materials we use come in different ounces per foot. Usually the more dense the higher quality the material. I’m assuming the paint or any panels that I cut out myself would need to meet specifications also. Were pretty experienced working with carpet, vinyl and paint.

Gabriel, Have a look at SCS flooring from Duluth Minnesota. They offer high grade carpet and Vinyl flooring. Their vinyl product is laced with a metal mesh like a steel belted radial which makes it tough and durable. I used this in the front and transitioned to carpet from behind the front seats all the way back to the rear seats and baggage area. The front vinyl and aft carpet were joined by 4" velcro strip. Looks fantastic and wears like iron.

Sounds like you have all the skills. In many way aircraft interiors are easier than later model cars. In fact the clips holding door cards to Cessna's are from a 60's Ford Falcon. The door cards themselves are either 1/16" hardboard or a .030" aluminum panel.

I think once you get your hands on one of these interiors from an older Cessna or Piper will be very familiar to you from the classic car business.

Jason Cooper sends a box and the A/C owner removes the seats and, door cards, and aft side walls and sends them to his shop in the UK. About 4 weeks later you get the finish restored seats with new leather upholstery and the door cards back.

Back