Aviation-Themed Birthday Party

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Thinking of throwing a birthday party for my soon to be 6-year-old. Was thinking of talking to the folks at the Lawrence Municipal Airport where they have a very sleepy but nice GA terminal. The idea would be to have the usual 'party room' with cake and presents and what not, but to also offer kids and parents rides in the ol' 172. The terminal/FBO might welcome the visibility.

Figure it would be something cool and different. Plus it might get kids (and maybe some parents) interested in flying. I would use the 172 from my club, the by-laws don't explicitly prohibit giving rides like this for free and there is a hold harmless waiver the club uses for PAX.

Or maybe I can contact the local Young Eagles chapter and have them do the flying. Dunno.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good way to go flying instead of a room full of 6-yr olds. I doubt the wife will approve of that aspect. :(

I think it's a great idea, but like Ravioli said...the wife might not be a fan of holding down the fort while you are up flying...i would speculate haha

I think it's a great idea, but like Ravioli said...the wife might not be a fan of holding down the fort while you are up flying...i would speculate haha

No worries, plenty of helicopter parents there to help out...

I would keep the ice cream and cake for the party,and leave the flying to the local young eagles program. The helicopter parents probably wouldn’t have a clue on what to expect ,for the airplane rides.

A guy did this at is hangar this past summer for his grandkid. The kids had a blast and the parents had fun. I say go for it, just might spark interest in somebody as well.

It sounds more fun than bowling, but with 6 year olds, you will need some other activities to keep them busy while people are flying. Maybe one of those bean bag toss games or something.

It's a bit of a drive from Lawrence, but the Airline History Museum might be a neat place for this. Maybe 45mins straight down I-70 to MKC.

Sounds like a great idea! Airplane shaped cake, airplane pinata, plastic pilot wings for the kids, paper airplane contest, ... All sort of possibilities.

I did that on my 5th birthday. No flying, but we had cake and stuff in the hangar and had the king airs open for everyone to look in.
The airplane addiction is still just as strong lol
N800BS (1).jpg

Sounds awesome! Are there other planes in the hanger or area you will be partying in? Just make sure toys don't end up where they aren't supposed to end up!

It's a bit of a drive from Lawrence, but the Airline History Museum might be a neat place for this. Maybe 45mins straight down I-70 to MKC.
Side note, did not know about this place. Was just out there two weeks ago, would have been great to check it out. Will have to next trip out for sure

Sounds like a great idea! Airplane shaped cake, airplane pinata, plastic pilot wings for the kids, paper airplane contest, ... All sort of possibilities.

You forgot strippers.

What, too soon? o_O

Back