Aviation Terminology (Mission)

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
Okay guys don't bite my head off but let me ask you this. Why the term "mission" when discussing an individuals plan or purpose for using an aircraft? It makes it sound like some type of military endeavor or something secretive even. Why not "purpose"? Do any of you guys ever feel like the term is a little hokey?

Many terms in aviation are hoaky, however 'mission' and 'purpose' have two different connotations connected to them. The 'purpose' of my plane is to transport myself recreationally. The 'mission' of my plane is typically 1000-3000 nm single day trips. A purpose is 'why', a mission is 'what'.

Mission is a hold over from military... and the noun and definition still fit very well.

DownloadedFile.jpeg

Many terms in aviation are hoaky, however 'mission' and 'purpose' have two different connotations connected to them. The 'purpose' of my plane is to transport myself recreationally. The 'mission' of my plane is typically 1000-3000 nm single day trips. A purpose is 'why', a mission is 'what'.

Thanks for the clarification Henning. It's cool hearing a pilot admitting some of the terms are hoaky.

Only if she salutes when it stands at attention.

So guys let me get this straight. If I'm around a bunch of pilots and they ask me about my "mission" and I say "You mean what I want the plane to do?", would I get shunned?

So guys let me get this straight. If I'm around a bunch of pilots and they ask me about my "mission" and I say "You mean what I want the plane to do?", would I get shunned?

Yes, Amish style lol. Can you tell me why you want to use 5 words when 1 will suffice?

Even if I had a Cirrus? :)
Especially if you had a Cirrus! Heck, you're already expected to be a rank amateur wanna be and are already three quarters way to shunned before you even speak. Real pilots don't fly planes with parachutes....:rofl:

BTW, religious 'missions' existed long before aviation, and you're never closer to God than when flying, except maybe diving.;)

BTW, religious 'missions' existed long before aviation, and you're never closer to God than when flying, except maybe diving.;)

Very true. However I believe the term "excursion" should be used instead of mission for those trips also.

Very true. However I believe the term "excursion" should be used instead of mission for those trips also.

No, they have a purpose, to convert those heathen souls from their happy lives to misery and guilt in the name of The Lord.

"Mission" drives from the fact that everyone believes than an airplane must have a specific goal in mind for someone to enjoy ownership. Ultimately, its a load of crap...want proof? For some reason, people can't accept that sometimes an airplane is just a toy, and not necessarily needed to accomplish anything specific.

So yeah - "Mission."

Note: When I bought the share in my Cherokee, my mission was "It needs to fly." I enjoyed the hell out of that plane until I moved and had to sell.

'Mission' is what aircraft owners make up afterwards to match whatever the biggest plane was they could afford to buy.

'Mission' is what aircraft owners make up afterwards to match whatever the biggest plane was they could afford to buy.

Well there is probably some truth to that. However, I would hope when we buy an airplane, or even a new car, we would ask ourself what do I need this thing to do? If you predominantly fly 500+ miles trips, then a piper cub may not be the best choice; or maybe it is if its for pure enjoyment and not work/business related or you don't feel the need to get there at any particular time/ day. What we fly is a very personal choice, and yes some make the mistake of buying the biggest thing they can afford when a cub is really all they needed. It's an expensive mistake. A mistake that some of us have made! But hopefully when folks read these posts and keep seeing the word "mission" they will think objectively about what they really need, make the right choice, and end up with an airplane that fits them like a glove.

Your mission should you choose to accept it,oh probably to young to know the phrase.

I don't know I just find "mission" to be a little overkill.
We get that. If you don't like the word, don't use it. But 99% of the time if you ask someone what plane would suit your "excursion", you're going to get a blank look from that person and a request to explain what you mean by that.

Last edited:
Use whatever term you like. Even in the military it was widely known that at least 10% of the troops never got the word.

Purpose is to appease your ego. Mission is the excuse to fulfill purpose.

Well there is probably some truth to that. However, I would hope when we buy an airplane, or even a new car, we would ask ourself what do I need this thing to do? If you predominantly fly 500+ miles trips, then a piper cub may not be the best choice; or maybe it is if its for pure enjoyment and not work/business related or you don't feel the need to get there at any particular time/ day.

There is one way to buy a plane when your job is to set up a company flight department: There is a mission (e.g. connecting branch offices in x,y,z to headquarters) and you buy the plane and hire the staff around that mission.

For a lot of private owners, the purchase process works differently. They buy the plane they can afford and then adjust the mission to fit the plane. Those people tend to be the happiest.
I have observed a couple of owners to chase around different planes in 'serial monogamy' and every time they trade planes, there is another elaborate explanation on how their 'mission' has changed. I have watched people go full circle in their chase after the 'mission' (e.g. A36-->C310-->P-baron-->A36-->B55). And then there are others who have owned a 182RG or V-tail for 30 years. Sure it would be nice to go from Minnesota to Florida in one hop, but for private travel, it is not the end of the world if you have to make make a stop for lunch in Tennessee.

"Excursion" sounds like you're going on a picnic.

Perhaps but you must admit that "mission" sounds like you're on some sort of dangerous assignment where the possibility of your return is unlikely. Or perhaps on some sort of assignment of a higher need or something of the sort. Is there a briefing by your squadron leader before you fly for a hamburger?

Last edited:
Go down to the city mission and count the number of bomber jackets gathered in the soup kitchen.

Perhaps but you must admit that "mission" sounds like you're on some sort of dangerous assignment where the possibility of your return is unlikely. Or perhaps on some sort of assignment of a higher need or something of the sort. Is their a briefing by your squadron leader before you fly for a hamburger?

Let's drop mission and replace it with safari. What is your intended safari? Elephant and 500 mile trips to the inlaws...

BTW - mission is just a way for pilots to make flying more expensive. "Oh no, that 152 that flies perfectly and would be a lot of fun would never fit your 'mission'! Your mission requires a 182 or more."

Bah - the 152 flies. If you're not fat like me, its probably the perfect plane for about 99% of GA pilots.

By the way guys I'm not attacking general aviation or pilots at all. I just think, like any activity, profession, past time, etc....there are hokey terms that a person can justify all they want but are nonetheless and simply "hokey".

Your credentials again, please?

By the way guys I'm not attacking general aviation or pilots at all. I just think, like any activity, profession, past time, etc....there are hokey terms that a person can justify all they want but are nonetheless and simply "hokey".

Nope just curiosity, along with a few questions about the terminology used in the activities in which you participate rather than those in which you spectate and speculate from a distance.

Hey man I have a deep interest in aviation despite not being a pilot. I however sense a bit of that elitism in your question. Am I right or wrong?

Nope just curiosity, along with a few questions about the terminology used in the activities in which you participate rather than those in which you spectate and speculate from a distance.

Well I have been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for over twelve years if you know what that activity involves. I can easily admit to some of the sportive moves being rather "hokey" and not truly necessary.

Perhaps but you must admit that "mission" sounds like you're on some sort of dangerous assignment where the possibility of your return is unlikely. Or perhaps on some sort of assignment of a higher need or something of the sort. Is their a briefing by your squadron leader before you fly for a hamburger?

A mission is just something to accomplish, nothing more.

We've flown 120 missions with no casualties aside from a few tens of millions of pounds of jet fuel. And one high current remotely controlled circuit breaker in the telescope.

We do have mission briefing and debriefs, but that's part of the teamwork thing. As a single VFR pilot, the equivalent is a flight plan and anomaly review (squawk sheet).

Last edited:
A mission is just something to accomplish, nothing more.

We've flown 120 missions with no casualties aside from a few tens of millions of pounds of jet fuel. And one high current remotely controlled circuit breaker in the telescope.

We do have mission briefing and debriefs, but that's part of the teamwork thing. As a single VFR pilot, the equivalent is a flight plan and anomaly review (squawk sheet).

Thanks for the response. So the term mission indeed fits with the type of work you do.

Back