Aviation Related, but not quite Flight Following Material...

Lol! That was actually quite informative even while being comical. He seemed to have an obsession with Mav's CO there.

I've only seen the movie once before but to add my observations:

1. At 0:16:06 Mav drives along the approach lights to runway 24. Not sure where he's going there but his bike would be a nice reflector for the PAR antenna.

2. At 0:29:46 Jester says the A-4 is faster than the F-14. Perhaps Evil or 35 can clarify but unless the Tomcats wings are full forward and operating on one engine because of a compressor stall, I'm pretty sure the Tomcat is faster.

3. At 0:31:40 both the A-4 and F-14 go into a series of rolls. Once again, perhaps the fighter guys can provide input to the tactical significance of such a maneuver in a close in dogfight???

4. At 0:33:20 Mav's flyby goes from buzzing Miramar tower to a completely different tower. Fallon??? An amazing task none the less.

5. At 1:04:13 it shows the aircraft taxing out for an early morning sunrise departure. In reality, view is looking west and the sun is setting behind the tower. Made for good effect though.

6. At 1:31:38 Mav is getting ready to launch to save Ice Man and Slider. Unfortunately he's not hooked up to the catapult. I imagine end speed would be problematic in that situation.

7. At 1:37:13 Goose is reincarnated as Merlin for a few seconds. He's looking over Mav's shoulder as to say he's still got his back. Perhaps the ghost of Goose???

8. At 1:41:10 Mav gets picked up by Slider with his sunglasses off but the ghost of Goose somehow slips them on in a split second. Impossible!

That's all I got. Despite being corny it's an entertaining movie that I think influenced a lot us to pursue aviation in some facet or another. Maybe in round two they'll get all the facts straight. Won't be nearly as good as the original though.

Last edited:
Back