Aviation jobs?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
Okay so some of you know that I really want to become a pilot. I don't know if I want to be an airline pilot yet but I want to get paid to fly! What ratings in order should I be aiming for? And what jobs on the way, like CFI, etc etc... I am currently a freshman in college and almost (hopefully) done with my PPL.

if you want to get paid for to fly you will definitely need your commercial license and most likely need an instrument rating. without the instrument rating you are prohibited from carrying passengers at night for hire and on flights more than 50 nm. so an instrument rating is pretty much a necessity. also a multi engine rating would most likely be needed as well.

In a nutshell and in order...

PP SEL
Instrument Rating SEL
Commercial SEL
MEL Add-on

Or, a more expensive but also more advantageous route...

PP MEL
Instrument Rating MEL
Commercial MEL
SEL Add-on

I say the 2nd route is more advantageous because most employers will want to see multi-engine time beyond the 10 or so hours it takes to get a multi add-on.

If you decide to go the blue collar route, as opposed to the shiny jet airline route, you may want to look at getting a tail dragger sign off and building some time in a tail dragger. This will open up a bunch of bush type jobs as well as Ag jobs.

Another thing to look at is getting an SES or MES (or both) rating. However, it's difficult to find float planes that you can rent to build up time the time you would need to be employable.

I would highly recommend working under part 137. It is a great career that pays well and is, in my opinion, much more stable than 121. Plus it is rather fun.

Why don't you just join the Air National Guard now - get them to pay for your college and then get them to send you to Air Force flight school ? You will have the ability to get a primo aviation education without an active duty commitment. Fly airliners during the week and fighters during the weekend. Get furloughed or have a problem with your airline gig - no worries there's always plenty of active duty work to be had. What could be more easy ?

Why don't you just join the Air National Guard now - get them to pay for your college and then get them to send you to Air Force flight school ? You will have the ability to get a primo aviation education without an active duty commitment. Fly airliners during the week and fighters during the weekend. Get furloughed or have a problem with your airline gig - no worries there's always plenty of active duty work to be had. What could be more easy ?

You are joking right?

We don't send just anyone to pilot training and those we do send still have to do well enough to qualify for fighters. If you go with fighters, it'll take at least 7 or 8 years before you have enough hours to qualify for majors. And you do have a commitment by going to UPT with a guard unit as well. What guard unit has "plenty of active duty work"? We have several guys waiting for full time jobs, none to be had.

There are more Aviators in the Army (high school or GED can get warrant officer slot) and more ship capt/commanders in the Army than the Navy....

If you really want to do something Army is the vest way to go. I think its a 4 year sign up for WOCS.

You are joking right?

We don't send just anyone to pilot training and those we do send still have to do well enough to qualify for fighters. If you go with fighters, it'll take at least 7 or 8 years before you have enough hours to qualify for majors. And you do have a commitment by going to UPT with a guard unit as well. What guard unit has "plenty of active duty work"? We have several guys waiting for full time jobs, none to be had.

So you don't have ANY ADSW ? You don't have any schools to go to ? So you would advise this guy to spend upwards of 100 grand when this path clearly exists ?

The ANG doesn't take folks out of HS, pay for their college, and send them to pilot training.

What they will do is accept someone for enlistment in a part-time status as a mechanic or crew chief or whatever to help pay for college (after they spend several months going to basic training and tech school, for which they will have to take time out of their educational process). There may be some extra deals like cut-rate tuition for ANG members at state schools in that ANG's state, but it ain't no full ride (work on your football skills for that).

After a few years, when they have earned their college degree, and assuming they qualify for pilot training (aptitude tests, medical, etc), the unit will consider them for one of their usual 1-2 pilot training slots each year. True, personnel with a few years in the unit will be highly favored in the selection process, but there are no guarantees. Also, I don't think they'll commission someone without a 4-year degree any more (used to be 2 years of college a very long time ago), and commissioning is a prerequisite for ANG pilot training.

After about two years of full-time active duty for OTS, UPT, survival schools, and type training, they'll go back to the unit in a part-time status flying a couple times a week plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer (plus any deployments with which the unit is tasked). Once they have 1500 hours (which will take a few years of operational flying), they'll be in a position to apply with the airlines, but they'll have a long commitment to the ANG as part-time pilots to balance with any full-time job.

Last edited:
So you don't have ANY ADSW ? You don't have any schools to go to ? So you would advise this guy to spend upwards of 100 grand when this path clearly exists ?

Slow your roll. I think the guard is a great way to go, however it's not the cake walk that you made it out to be. What Ron said is spot on, lots of people join the guard thinking they'll get a pilot slot and they end up not being competitive to get one. To the OP: if this is a route you'd like to take talk to someone who is actually in the guard to get the real words. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about joining the guard and the road to USAF wings. However, I recommend NEVER saying you are joining the military to get to the airlines - flying in the USAF is not just a job. Good luck!

After about two years of full-time active duty for OTS, UPT, survival schools, and type training, they'll go back to the unit in a part-time status flying a couple times a week plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer (plus any deployments with which the unit is tasked). Once they have 1500 hours (which will take a few years of operational flying), they'll be in a position to apply with the airlines, but they'll have a long commitment to the ANG as part-time pilots to balance with any full-time job.
For fighters, you'll have to fly more than one weekend a month and the 2 weeks in the summer. Currencies dictate more flying than that - it's a minimum of about 3 months worth of work per year. If you are an alert unit, you'll work more also. Guys are getting about 150 hours per year other than deployments.

There are more Aviators in the Army (high school or GED can get warrant officer slot) and more ship capt/commanders in the Army than the Navy....

If you really want to do something Army is the vest way to go. I think its a 4 year sign up for WOCS.

6 yrs. The major reason why most go WOFT is no non operational assignments. I did 12 and averaged over 300 hrs per year in a flying slot the whole time. Of course you're pretty much restricted to helos though when you get out.

What do pipeline inspectors require?

Except for emergency pipeline issues I would imagine inspections could wait for vfr conditions so instrument rating may not be necessary.

Question would that pay more than the $120 an hour it costs to rent my clubs plane. And since I'd be compensated I guess I would fall under a different part.

How about crop dusters ?

For fighters, you'll have to fly more than one weekend a month and the 2 weeks in the summer.
As I said...
a part-time status flying a couple times a week plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer (plus any deployments with which the unit is tasked).
BTDT, albeit a very long time ago.

Currencies dictate more flying than that -
Unless things have changed, the p/t Guard flyers have to meet the same currency and semi-annual training requirements as the regulars.

...it's a minimum of about 3 months worth of work per year.
Sounds a bit short. When I was doing that, I picked up about 120 days a year. 90 days would be the bare minimum (48 FTP's plus 24 drill days plus 14 active duty comes to 86 days of work).

Guys are getting about 150 hours per year other than deployments.
Sounds accurate. I got 311 hours in the RF-4C in my 24 months of p/t ANG flying.

Active Army takes you out of HS if you meet other requirements. You go full time 4 years plus reserves.

The ANG doesn't take folks out of HS, pay for their college, and send them to pilot training.

What they will do is accept someone for enlistment in a part-time status as a mechanic or crew chief or whatever to help pay for college (after they spend several months going to basic training and tech school, for which they will have to take time out of their educational process). There may be some extra deals like cut-rate tuition for ANG members at state schools in that ANG's state, but it ain't no full ride (work on your football skills for that).

After a few years, when they have earned their college degree, and assuming they qualify for pilot training (aptitude tests, medical, etc), the unit will consider them for one of their usual 1-2 pilot training slots each year. True, personnel with a few years in the unit will be highly favored in the selection process, but there are no guarantees. Also, I don't think they'll commission someone without a 4-year degree any more (used to be 2 years of college a very long time ago), and commissioning is a prerequisite for ANG pilot training.

When I went in you could go Fixed wing but that was eons ago. I guess now you have to put in for FW after going through Ft Rucker to be a RW guy.

Six years is different too.

FW-Our Cat A aviators got 10 hrs a week while the Cat B aviators got minimum unless they volunteered to take weekend duties from the Cat A guys.

I was flight Dispatch and scheduled them so I remember clearly. Our Helo guys got less because there were so many more of them. I was at Ft Bragg for 2 1/2 years.

6 yrs. The major reason why most go WOFT is no non operational assignments. I did 12 and averaged over 300 hrs per year in a flying slot the whole time. Of course you're pretty much restricted to helos though when you get out.

When I went in you could go Fixed wing but that was eons ago. I guess now you have to put in for FW after going through Ft Rucker to be a RW guy.

Six years is different too.

FW-Our Cat A aviators got 10 hrs a week while the Cat B aviators got minimum unless they volunteered to take weekend duties from the Cat A guys.

I was flight Dispatch and scheduled them so I remember clearly. Our Helo guys got less because there were so many more of them. I was at Ft Bragg for 2 1/2 years.

Yeah generally you have to put in for FW after flight school but on rare ocassions they'll offer FW to WO1s in flight school. Ticks off the senior warrants who don't get picked up. If they still had OV-1s I would have put in for it but flying King Airs in circles isn't something I wanted to do. VIP wouldn't be all that bad though.

Last edited:
Active Army takes you out of HS if you meet other requirements. You go full time 4 years plus reserves.
You're not going to be going to college except nights (and only when you're not deployed) during those 5-6 years (training plus post-training commitment), which is an issue for the airlines. And I don't think the airlines hire rotary-only pilots (New York Airways being defunct), although there are lots of helicopter job opportunities for those with 1500-2000 hours of turbine helo experience. But if you wan to be a helicopter pilot, it's a good route.

I would highly recommend working under part 137. It is a great career that pays well and is, in my opinion, much more stable than 121. Plus it is rather fun.

Expect that you won't work Pt 137 until you have 1000 hrs or so unless you have an 'in'.

Slow your roll. I think the guard is a great way to go, however it's not the cake walk that you made it out to be. What Ron said is spot on, lots of people join the guard thinking they'll get a pilot slot and they end up not being competitive to get one.
but many of those people do get valuable training as an electrician, etc that turns out to be a heck of a lot more of a marketable skill in the civilian world than driving airplanes.

You're not going to be going to college except nights (and only when you're not deployed) during those 5-6 years (training plus post-training commitment), which is an issue for the airlines. And I don't think the airlines hire rotary-only pilots (New York Airways being defunct), although there are lots of helicopter job opportunities for those with 1500-2000 hours of turbine helo experience. But if you wan to be a helicopter pilot, it's a good route.

Actually, with the miracle of the internet, going to school online, and never setting foot on campus, let alone in a classroom, is entirely possible. Even during deployments. With good discipline, and depending on the degree, one could get a 4 year degree in just about 4 years.

Of course, needs of the military comes first, but in the last decade or so they've been real supportive of their folks that are trying to better themselves. It's becoming a promotion thing as well. I'm hearing that it's starting to get harder to get beyond E-5 without any higher education or beyond O-3 without post grad work.

but many of those people do get valuable training as an electrician, etc that turns out to be a heck of a lot more of a marketable skill in the civilian world than driving airplanes.

Absolutely! There are tons of great opportunities in the guard, I love being in the guard. I just don't want the wrong idea getting out there that you can just walk into a guard unit and expect to be picked up for pilot training easily.

What do pipeline inspectors require?

Except for emergency pipeline issues I would imagine inspections could wait for vfr conditions so instrument rating may not be necessary.

Question would that pay more than the $120 an hour it costs to rent my clubs plane. And since I'd be compensated I guess I would fall under a different part.

How about crop dusters ?

Pipeline flies along the pipe Right of Ways and through the gathering fields around 100' AGL looking for leaks.

Nope, you can't wait, inspections are federally mandated with schedules of inspection (none of the ones I flew were less than weekly, most twice a week) and a couple of days flexibility. My mainline pipes I had a 3 day window, if I had crappy weather that kept me down 2 days, day 3 I'm going anyway. You learn how to get through. The biggest hazards were the new cell phone towers every week, especially the ones they put in the middle of the collection fields where you do a lot of hard maneuvering.

Pipeline falls under Pt.91, and you won't be doing it in a rental, you'd be flying for someone with the contract. There are 2 types of operators, the ones who maintain nice equipment, and the ones that give you the biggest piece of junk deferring all possible maintenance until no one will fly the plane anymore and then getting another piece of junk to replace it. Guess which there are more of?

Back