Aviation Headset Question

A_Valkyrie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
A_Valkyrie
I purchased a Rugged RA200 headset last February for passengers and it is giving me trouble. Before I turn it in for warranty I want to make sure I am doing everything right. I have tried this in different airplanes in different positions and same issue. Everything is fine on the ground, but once the engine is at full power the mic flickers on and off, with no speaking or sound from the user. It can be incredibly annoying as the PIC and I've unplugged it before while coming into busy airspace (smiling and nodding to the passenger when they're talking lol).

Is this a defective headset I got right out of the box or is there something I should try at home to get fixed? Seems to me the mic is too sensitive or doesn't know how to block out ambient engine noise properly.

I hate to be captain obvious, but do other headsets work OK in the same application? Maybe it's the setting on the intercom? Check the squelch control, the mic may be more sensitive than your other headset. Just a thought! :)

There may be a mic gain control under the foam mic piece. Might need to turn it down.

Also, if the mic is facing out towards the panel and not your mouth, the cabin noise will trigger it. I had to turn mine 180 degrees so it faced my pie-hole.

Lastly, try the squelch on your audio panels (doubt this is it, since you tried different planes).

Been there, done that with a cheapie set that I still use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at it tonight. I know that it is not the radio settings because the headset does it anywhere. Also, other headsets plugged into the same jack work fine.

I am flying on Saturday and I'll take it up on the pattern and see if it is still malfunctioning. I won't fly anywhere far with it acting up, it is way too distracting!

Is it possible that you ended up with a low impedance (military) mic on that headset, whereas your GA plane is a high impedance system?

I did not know that was an option.

I am going to take off the mic protector and take a good look at it tonight. Maybe I will find some way to adjust mic sensitivity.

I called Rugged Air and they are sending a new and improved microphone for the unit. I did not know the headset had a 7 year warranty, that is very impressive! I am just hoping he is right that the problem would indeed be in the microphone and not a wiring glitch or anything.

I'm surprised at the seven year warranty. I bought a couple of pairs when I flew EAA Young Eagles in June & one quit transmitting. I purchased it through Amazon & their website said no warranty was offered from the manufacturer. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

I'm surprised at the seven year warranty. I bought a couple of pairs when I flew EAA Young Eagles in June & one quit transmitting. I purchased it through Amazon & their website said no warranty was offered from the manufacturer. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Give them a call at 888-541-7223. The man I talked to was extremely friendly and it seems like they stand by their products. They sent me a replacement microphone (a better one even then the headset had originally) right away.

Is it possible that you ended up with a low impedance (military) mic on that headset, whereas your GA plane is a high impedance system?
I believe it's the other way around as GA aircraft still work with carbon mic can't get much lower impedance.

Back