Aviation glossary for students

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
i was thinking about putting together a glossary of sorts for common aviation terms and phrases we use daily that a student pilot needs to know pretty quickly. The glossary in the PHAK isn’t what I’m looking for.

Things like:
NORDO
Ramp
Vectors
Say intentions

Stuff like that.

Should I just teach em as I go or do you think the list up front would help? If you think it would help, add to it.

i was thinking about putting together a glossary of sorts for common aviation terms and phrases we use daily that a student pilot needs to know pretty quickly. The glossary in the PHAK isn’t what I’m looking for.

Things like:
NORDO
Ramp
Vectors
Say intentions

Stuff like that.

Should I just teach em as I go or do you think the list up front would help? If you think it would help, add to it.
Order your list from "most likely to come up today" down to least, then teach the top 5-10 or so. Cross them off the list and then repeat for next lesson.

I think the list up front is a good idea. I think training the most common 5 or so is good as well.

I am a lapsed medical PPL that is so far lapsed that basic med won't work. So there are acronyms somewhat new to me as well.

AMU is a great new one... And so true.

Pilots tend to speak in these acronyms too much. Excluding those who "aren't in the club" and don't know the secret handshake, dance, and hand signs.

I'd like to see more "down to earth" inclusiveness in the ranks of flyers to attract more younguns in order to keep GA alive.

Fishfinder
Garbage that IFR pilots spew when shooting practice approaches to an uncontrolled field.

Back