Aviation Gin

Gin is by far my preferred spirit. A good gimlet or just with tonic. Got it as a gift. It’s not Hendricks or Plymouth but it’s good.

Finally, aerospace-grade booze. Just the thing to steady your hands before that nasty approach.

Nauga,
who says, "But officer, it's aviation gin!"
Perhaps it's made with Star Trek's "synthehol," which allegedly is incapable of causing inebriation. ;)

Aviation Gin is a decent choice for martinis.

I like gin. It's taste doesn't remind me of the way kerosene smells at all.. more like the way spruce tips smell. My wife says gin tastes like Christmas trees...and who doesn't love a nice Christmas tree? Must be the juniper berries...

I've gone through my gin and tonic phase a long time ago. It's not that I don't like drinking gin, it just leaves a terrible aftertaste. Good gin is better than bad gin but in the end the effect is all the same.

I've gone through my gin and tonic phase a long time ago. It's not that I don't like drinking gin, it just leaves a terrible aftertaste. Good gin is better than bad gin but in the end the effect is all the same.
It's the tonic that's leaving the bad aftertaste. My intros to gin back in the ol' college days were gin and tonics or lime rickeys...I liked those. Fast forward a few years, and I lost my taste for any sweet alcoholic beverages. Never drink soda of any kind other than the carbonated water I make. A nicely made martini is about the cleanest tasting adult beverage out there.

Perhaps it's made with Star Trek's "synthehol," which allegedly is incapable of causing inebriation. ;)

That seems similar to drinking decaf coffee. What's the point. :p

...Good gin is better than bad gin but in the end the effect is all the same.

And good scotch is better than bad scotch, but in the end the effect is all the same.
And good beer is better than bad beer, but in the end...

I have an (empty) bottle of Aviation Gin on a shelf in my hangar because the bottle looks cool and it says "Aviation" on it. I haven't the faintest idea how the bottle got that way though.

As for the Xmas tree taste, I love it - Tanqueray for instance. If you do too, I strongly recommend skipping Watershed Gin which tastes like flowers. I gave that bottle away after one taste.

It's the tonic that's leaving the bad aftertaste. My intros to gin back in the ol' college days were gin and tonics or lime rickeys...I liked those. Fast forward a few years, and I lost my taste for any sweet alcoholic beverages. Never drink soda of any kind other than the carbonated water I make. A nicely made martini is about the cleanest tasting adult beverage out there.

I think it actually is the gin. I've drank tonic with no gin, no aftertaste, and gin with no tonic, aftertaste. I mean a good gin and tonic is a refreshing drink on a hot, steamy day in the jungle, plus you get your malaria treatment at the same time. Then again, drinking one is different than drinking twelve. And I'm not the kind of person that just drinks one.

I think it actually is the gin. I've drank tonic with no gin, no aftertaste, and gin with no tonic, aftertaste. I mean a good gin and tonic is a refreshing drink on a hot, steamy day in the jungle, plus you get your malaria treatment at the same time.

And don't forget the lime. G&Ts cure/prevent scurvy too. This makes it a health drink!

It’s not bad but certainly not world class. The actor Ryan Reynolds owns the brand and some of his ads for the product are downright hilarious.

Look up the commercial Truce with him and Hugh Jackman. Not the reason to buy it but I do like his brand of humor.

I've never developed a taste for gin as it tastes like kerosene smells.
Gin is just vodka with Juniper and other botanicals added. I've had Aviator Gin, made martinis and tonics out of it. Very good, quite smooth and serviceable. At the price is isn't a value, but it is good and compares well to other spirits at the same price point.

Yeah, I've been gifted a bottle of Aviation from time to time. It's OK. I'm a Bombay Sapphire man usually. I have a nice gin on my bar now, Malfi. I also have a bottle of New Amsterdam that I snagged from a spirits competition I was judging. It's a pretty good gin for a budget brand. That's not surprising, it comes from Gallo's distillery operation (EJ DIstillers). Gallo doesn't make tremendous stuff across the board, but their stuff is pretty good given the low prices it goes for. Gallo is the most awarded winemaker (mostly because they enter a lot of stuff in a lot of competitions and it isn't junk). We had a Barefoot sparkling win best of show (to the consternation of some after it was announced). They've place well in the categories.

Gin is just vodka with Juniper and other botanicals added.
I should point out that this is not a complete statement. Gin indeed can be made by just adding botanicals to a neutral spirit (which essentially is what Vodka is).

Gins labeled as Distilled Gin or London Gin (which Aviation falls into) has to have the botanicals added before the final distillation step. There's a pretty good description of the process on AviationGin.com.

Look up the commercial Truce with him and Hugh Jackman. Not the reason to buy it but I do like his brand of humor.

Just looked it up. Friggin' hilarious!

Back