Aviation Checklist App for iPad?

giaviv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
giaviv
Hey guys,

I just got the iPad yoke ram mount and combined with foreflight and an external GPS it makes for an awesome flying accessory. Since I usually have my checklist up on the yoke mount, I was thinking of replacing it with an iPad checklist app. I checked out the AirCheck and foreflight checklist apps but they are both iPhone apps that have to be stretched out. Is there a proper interactive checklist app for the iPad that allows adding and editing checklist items?

Thanks!

yeah that's definitely an option, but it wont be interactive - i rather have an interactive checklist that i can check and uncheck items on the actual checklist..

Stretched Apps aren't that bad really. Lots of finger poking space.

I like the C182P checklist App I bought but usually use in on the iPhone not the iPad. Phone carries easier when doing the walk-around. iPads already clamped to the yoke by then.

Hey guys,

I just got the iPad yoke ram mount and combined with foreflight and an external GPS it makes for an awesome flying accessory. Since I usually have my checklist up on the yoke mount, I was thinking of replacing it with an iPad checklist app. I checked out the AirCheck and foreflight checklist apps but they are both iPhone apps that have to be stretched out. Is there a proper interactive checklist app for the iPad that allows adding and editing checklist items?

Thanks!

Hey guys and gals,

I guess I'm behind the curve here, but are you all using the external GPS because you are using an iPad 1, or does the external GPS enhance even the iPad 2 3G models with its A-GPS? [I have yet to use my iPad2 3G in the air.]

Back OT, call me an old school Luddite, but I prefer to walk around the plane with a good old laminated checklist in my hand--and not some electronic toy that I have to worry about dropping--while I'm climbing on the wing to check fuel or ducking under the elevator to check hinges and untie tiedown straps.

My laminated checklist never runs low on power, doesn't break if I drop it, or power down unexpectedly. :wink2:

Last edited:
My laminated checklist never runs low on power, doesn't break if I drop it, or power down unexpectedly. :wink2:

Yep, they make for a great backup system to the one that fits in my jeans pocket in-between large segments of the pre-flight. ;)

I always keep a laminated one around in case the other TWO devices fail. ;)

(I don't use my checklists as a do-list. I do the preflight items in large segments and pull out the checklist at the end of those tasks to make sure I didn't miss one.)

Hey guys and gals,

I guess I'm behind the curve here, but are you all using the external GPS because you are using an iPad 1, or does the external GPS enhance even the iPad 2 3G models with its A-GPS? [I have yet to use my iPad2 3G in the air.
In my case it's because I decided to forego 3G and buy a WiFi-only iPad.

I scanned my checkmate lists and took a screen shot of them on the ipad. I've used it as a backup when I forgot my checklist before. Make sure to turn screen timeout off.

Hey guys and gals,

I guess I'm behind the curve here, but are you all using the external GPS because you are using an iPad 1, or does the external GPS enhance even the iPad 2 3G models with its A-GPS? [I have yet to use my iPad2 3G in the air.]

Back OT, call me an old school Luddite, but I prefer to walk around the plane with a good old laminated checklist in my hand--and not some electronic toy that I have to worry about dropping--while I'm climbing on the wing to check fuel or ducking under the elevator to check hinges and untie tiedown straps.

And spilling fuel on it is a non-issue

...I don't use my checklists as a do-list. I do the preflight items in large segments and pull out the checklist at the end of those tasks to make sure I didn't miss one.

+1 Same here, preflight is a ritual. I don't like interruptions and if I do have to stop I usually drop back and resume from last completed section. Once in the plane I'll look at my checklist and confirm my preflight items done outside the aircraft then move through the list in the cockpit.

I have post start - pre taxi items on my garmin 530 but rather use my laminated list. Old habits I guess.

I'm going to resurrect this thread in the hopes that somebody can lead me to a good checklist app for my iPad. I don't want to use my phone, which Foreflight Checklist is only good for...

So what say you guys? Any helpful tips?

I don't want to use my phone, which Foreflight Checklist is only good for...

You know you can install and use Foreflight Checklist on the iPad as well as the iPhone, right?

I'm going to resurrect this thread in the hopes that somebody can lead me to a good checklist app for my iPad. I don't want to use my phone, which Foreflight Checklist is only good for...

Down and dirty...how about recreating your checklist in the 'Reminders' app on iPad. Each checklist grouping saved as a separate list. Then, check em off.

Down and dirty...how about recreating your checklist in the 'Reminders' app on iPad. Each checklist grouping saved as a separate list. Then, check em off.

Oh that would suck to "reset" it. Wrong tool for the job, seriously.

I've always been a roll-your-own advocate when it comes to checklists. For years, my checklists have become shorter as I've, with experience, condensed the lists. With the iPad, my checklists have grown again. Since I can directly import a PDF ("documents" in FF or just in GoodReader) and navigate around with bookmarks, I've started including more reference material, while still keeping the basic checklists short and personally-ergonomic.

I have the Foreflight checklist app on my Ipad and while it lacks a lot in the way of directions, once I found out that you can edit or create your checklist through their website it looks like it will work well. When you edit it thought the website it automatically downloads the new checklist to your Ipad. You can change it anytime easily.

Checkmate checklists just released their own App. I checked it out but you have to buy each checklist at nearly the same price as the printed one. So I deleted the app. But it is another choice.

David

For anyone still looking for an iPad (or Android) checklist... I recently got the Checkmate app for iPad and love it.

I've been writing my own paper checklists for 40 years, and CheckMate gives you quick access to all your checklists and reference data - such as speeds, operating limitations, frequencies, and emergency procedures.

It's fully customizable so you can include or delete whatever you want and you can arrange items in the sequence that make the most sense to you.

The CheckMate app gives me much better access to different information and it's much harder to miss an item on your checklist.

Product support is great - but I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Bottom line- I think this app is a great value ( I tried a few free ones but they weren't as comprehensive or flexible) and a great cockpit resource.

Manny

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I'm still a fan of paper checklists, but...

With some effort, you could turn your favorite checklist into a checkable list. Essentially for free if you already have Adobe Acrobat and the iPad apps for viewing the checkable PDF.

Adobe Acrobat (full version, not the free reader) lets you add form fields, like checkboxes, to any PDF form. You can also add a “Reset” button that resets all of the checkboxes.

You can then use it on your iPad, either inside of your favorite PDF reader (mine is PDF Expert) or, I just confirmed, inside of ForeFlight when linked to DropBox.

As a quick test, I added some checkboxes to some random checklist I found on the net. The checkboxes work inside of PDF Expert and ForeFlight, but the “Reset” button only worked inside PDF Expert.

You can "reset" it in ForeFlight by deleting the checked copy in ForeFlight (Edit-X-Close), and then re-loading the blank one from ForeFlight's link to DropBox (Catalog-foldername-select).

Just some thoughts…

Joe

Checklist_with_Aodbe_Acrobat_Checkboxes.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone still looking for an iPad (or Android) checklist... I recently got the Checkmate app for iPad and love it.

I've been writing my own paper checklists for 40 years, and CheckMate gives you quick access to all your checklists and reference data - such as speeds, operating limitations, frequencies, and emergency procedures.

It's fully customizable so you can include or delete whatever you want and you can arrange items in the sequence that make the most sense to you.

The CheckMate app gives me much better access to different information and it's much harder to miss an item on your checklist.

Product support is great - but I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Bottom line- I think this app is a great value ( I tried a few free ones but they weren't as comprehensive or flexible) and a great cockpit resource.

Manny

Looks interesting. As far as I can tell, the app is free, registration is free, and a single checklist is $14.99.

Is that correct? Or is there a monthly subscription (or other future expense) to maintain your account and access your modified version of the purchased checklist?

Back