Aviation Charts are changing

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Things I learned at the seminar on aviation charts:

We know that a magenta circle with a H inside is a heliport and a circle with an R inside is restricted or private. A magenta circle with a F inside is an ultralight park and one with a U inside is an unverified landing area depicted only for emergency use.

The magenta and blue colors are used to depict the most important information. Blue is more important than magenta. Thus Bravo airspace is blue and Charlie is magenta.

When T is used instead of a number to depict the ceiling of a Charlie airspace underneath a Bravo airspace, it means that the Charlie ceiling is "up to but not including the floor of the Class B". This symbol is used where the Class C airspace spans an area where the Class B airspace is split.

There are at least 17 types of special use airspace. If one is accompanied by a "cartoon box" with text "requesting" something. That request is mandatory and actionable if violated. For example, "For reasons of national security pilots are requested to avoid flight below 1200 MSL in this area."

Contact information for military routes will be added to charts soon. Military training routes may be more than 8 miles wide.

Charts are being "decluttered" in preparation for adding new information relating to GPS navigation. As a result, symbols and information you saw before is going away. Over the next 4 years about 15% of each new chart will be changed.

There is a new symbol for windmill farms.

Download the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide frequently. http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guide

Sectionals are getting pretty crowded, even in central Texas. I still keep my Atlanta charts for quizzing students as just about every chart offers something unique.

When flying VOR cross country work with primary students, I use an instrument chart for my own reference. It's sure a heck of a lot easier to read with all the "clutter" gone.

There are at least 17 types of special use airspace. If one is accompanied by a "cartoon box" with text "requesting" something. That request is mandatory and actionable if violated. For example, "For reasons of national security pilots are requested to avoid flight below 1200 MSL in this area."
Huh? Whatever happened to "must" and "shall"? Not only would that indicate that it is mandatory (which "request" clearly does not), it reduces clutter as well.

Per the chart guide:

National Security Areas indicated with a broken magenta line and Special Federal Aviation Regulations (SFAR) Areas indicated with the following symbol: (ajoining T symbol) , consist of airspace with defined vertical and lateral dimensions established at locations where there is a requirement for increased security and safety of ground facilities. Pilots are requested to voluntarily avoid flying through these depicted areas. When necessary, flight may be temporarily prohibited.

This paragraph is on the lower-left corner of Page 5 if the Chart Guide.​

I don't believe that is correct unless a NOTAM is issued restricting flight in the area.

AOPA said:
An NSA is "airspace of defined vertical and lateral dimensions established at locations where there is a requirement for increased security of ground facilities," according to the Aeronautical Information Manual. "Pilots are requested to voluntarily avoid flying through an NSA. When it is necessary to provide a greater level of security, flight through an NSA may be temporarily prohibited pursuant to the provisions of 14 CFR 99.7, Special Security Instructions."
When there is a security reason for restricting flight operations within an NSA, the FAA will issue a notam.

The magenta and blue colors are used to depict the most important information. Blue is more important than magenta. Thus Bravo airspace is blue and Charlie is magenta.

Delta airspace is also blue, so is Delta more important than Charlie?

Delta airspace is also blue, so is Delta more important than Charlie?

Solid > Dashed...

So, Bravo (Solid Blue) Charlie (Solid Magenta) > Delta (Dashed Blue) > Echo (Dashed Magenta)

And then there's TRSAs...ahhh...head about to explode...:yikes:

I thought Delta was green....

Also - I did not know about the F and U in a circle. Weird.

Moreoever, NSAs are voluntary. Fly through them at will. They're a failed attempt at airspace grab. Like the "For reasons of National Welfare" areas that the Indians tried to grab.

Moreoever, NSAs are voluntary. Fly through them at will. They're a failed attempt at airspace grab. Like the "For reasons of National Welfare" areas that the Indians tried to grab.
Not all... St. Mary's, GA was an NSA turned TFR for a long time until it became P-50.

I thought Delta was green....

Also - I did not know about the F and U in a circle. Weird.

I look at NSAs as "Please don't go here." and shorthand for future TFRs for where they're situated.

For example, instead of doing the whole "within 2 nautical miles of the 18.2nm distance from the ABC vortac 123 radial", they can just say "DEF NSA" and it's already charted.

We had a number of TFRs in the Puget Sound area after 9/11 that made a regular minefield for VFR flight. One was for a facility that I didn't even know existed until they drew a bullseye around it with their TFR. Sometimes you just have to wonder...

When T is used instead of a There are at least 17 types of special use airspace. If one is accompanied by a "cartoon box" with text "requesting" something. That request is mandatory and actionable if violated. For example, "For reasons of national security pilots are requested to avoid flight below 1200 MSL in this area."

I don't believe that is correct unless a NOTAM is issued restricting flight in the area.

I look at NSAs as "Please don't go here." and shorthand for future TFRs for where they're situated.

For example, instead of doing the whole "within 2 nautical miles of the 18.2nm distance from the ABC vortac 123 radial", they can just say "DEF NSA" and it's already charted.
It would seem logical that Peggy was just dozing and caught the tail-end of a discussion wrong. Not so. There was a heated discussion by the pilots in the room making exactly the same points you are. Our speaker was adamant that if you go there, you can expect a letter in the mail or a request to make a phone call...

What became clear is that certain agencies are trying to make an end-run around the necessary roadblocks to making an area restricted.

It would seem logical that Peggy was just dozing and caught the tail-end of a discussion wrong. Not so. There was a heated discussion by the pilots in the room making exactly the same points you are. Our speaker was adamant that if you go there, you can expect a letter in the mail or a request to make a phone call...

What became clear is that certain agencies are trying to make an end-run around the necessary roadblocks to making an area restricted.

A written query to the Regional or National Chief Counsel would squelch this nonsense (eventually). Your speaker isn't supposed to make up his own regulations.

We had a number of TFRs in the Puget Sound area after 9/11 that made a regular minefield for VFR flight. One was for a facility that I didn't even know existed until they drew a bullseye around it with their TFR. Sometimes you just have to wonder...

There were lots of those. We got to know just where they had the nerve gas bunkers. :eek:

Back