Aviation Bucklist Time!

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Hi everyone,
I am a private pilot (soon to be instrument rated) and am a senior in highschool. This spring I have to do a senior project so of course im going for something aviation related. First thoughts were sea-plane rating in alaska or aerobatic training. Another that I would love to do is backcountry flying with a friend of mine (non pilot), but I dont know anything about the extra training/ renting of backcountry planes. I live in Maryland but am able to travel if its worth it. Any other ideas or input on my current ideas would be much apreciated!

As important as it seems, it’s just a high school project, not a dissertation for a PhD. Traveling someplace to complete a high school project is a bit overkill, but that’s just me.

As long as you have a pulse on graduation day, you’ll likely pass, so I wouldn’t overthink it. Keep it simple!

What’s the scope of the project?
Yeah my bad probably should have included more details there. I can do pretty much anything I want in a two week window this may and then I have to present to a group of teachers on it but that part of it is never an issue. I could really do anything aviation related and it would be fine for the project. Also main constraint is going to be time (2 weeks), money is not too much of an issue.

As important as it seems, it’s just a high school project, not a dissertation for a PhD. Traveling someplace to complete a high school project is a bit overkill, but that’s just me.

Oh i completely agree its not necessary, but I plan to take advantage of the opportunity to do something fun with planes here

Oh i completely agree its not necessary, but I plan to take advantage of the opportunity to do something fun with planes here
By all means, go for it man!

As for my aviation bucket list, I’ve already fulfilled mine. Took three of the most attractive girls I’ve ever met for airplane rides. College has been good to me.

Yeah my bad probably should have included more details there. I can do pretty much anything I want in a two week window this may and then I have to present to a group of teachers on it but that part of it is never an issue. I could really do anything aviation related and it would be fine for the project. Also main constraint is going to be time (2 weeks), money is not too much of an issue.

I would add weather as something else that can completely ruin your project idea. Just something else to keep in mind. Seaplane rating sounds awesome. I’ll throw out an idea....do a PnP flight. This way you're kind of doing something for someone else and what high school senior chick (or college babe) ain’t gonna like that? :)

Perspective.... Pretty obvious he has some sort of financial backing if he is a senior and racked up a couple ratings already. When I was a senior, I pushed a mower for gas money for my motorcycle. He's talking about an evolution it takes most of us several decades to complete due to the costs involved. If he has the money, why the hell not? Get it while the pickins are good.

What college are you going to?

Go for the sea plane rating,should fit your time restraints.

Maybe something aviation maintenance related. Check in at your local field and see if the shop will let you do some volunteer work. Or do a tour with Civilian Air Patrol

Sounds like you have some unique opportunities. Exploit them

Thanks ill look into this for sure! And no not DeMatha, im a McDonogh student.

Close enough. :D

We used to play DeMatha all the time back in my high school days (graduated 1981). It sounded like something they would do. You sure as hell wouldn't get an assignment like that from public schools these days.

Good luck with it all!!

Do you have a tail wheel endorsement? If not, that experience will help you with your other goals.

Attend Sun N Fun in March, document your participation in some of the hands on work shops. Interview a war vet in the warbird area, take a helicopter tour around the grounds.

Thanks this looks amazing! Do you by any chance know of another place nearby that I could rent a plane solo from for a few days after this course? Just emailed here and they wont rent solo for insurance purposes.

There aren’t many courses like that, but there is a school at Harvey field in WA that rents out a 7AC champ

A few years ago I had some "personal funds" that allowed me to get 4 1/2 hours of Robinson R-22 dual. Was able to finally do two "landings" with the instructor supervising. Then had to stop when I was mightily chastised by my wife for wasting my "found" money. I really would like to solo the heli but that will remain in the "bucket" along with a trip to the Bahamas and Alaska. Moral: ....don't wait...do the bucket list while you're young, then let the chips fall as they may.

I highly recommend you pay these folks a visit in McCall, Idaho:

http://mountaincanyonflying.com/

It's both flying around the mountains as well as landing at a lot of amazing little backcountry strips... And there's some theory that you'll go through too, so your presentation can include some great real-world physics and math problems.

I've been lucky enough to check off a lot of "aviation bucket list" type items, and I think the time I spent in McCall had the highest combination of fun and learning of all of them.

As for my aviation bucket list, I’ve already fulfilled mine. Took three of the most attractive girls I’ve ever met for airplane rides. College has been good to me.

Unless they were all part of the same, ahem, ride, I think you'd better move the goalposts of that "bucket list" item.

Back