Aviation apps for Android / Is MyFlightbook the best logbook?

topdog91

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
topdog91
So hopefully in 12 days I'll be landing in FL to commence PPL learning with Tailwinds Etc. A paper logbook is provided, but knowing myself as a tech geek, I'll want to use an online service for my logbook for now and onwards... :)

I know that Apple dominate the aviation app market, but I'm an Android guy. I found myflightbook.com, which is free on the web, has mobile apps, and seems to have a good grassroots user community. Is it the right tool for the job?

Any other Android aviation apps I should consider, logbook or otherwise? Navigation? Tracking? Planning? There's so much out there on Google, but it's hard to know what's really good. For the first year or two after I complete my PPL, I'm not sure how often I'll fly, so I don't want subscription products.

Last edited:
I've used myFlightBook for several years now. I think it does an excellent job. I m not, nor do I aspire to be a professional pilot. I don't know if you need to log stuff that I don't worry about.

While you're in Florida take an opportunity to fly the shuttle runway (KTTS). It's impressive.

John

Thanks for the feedback - I'm also not aspiring to go professional (but never say never ;)).

Also thanks for the KTTS tip, I'll check it out if I have a chance. I'll be based in Lakeland, staying in Tampa, when I get out there I'll start a thread - see if anyone from the forum is around and wants to meet for a beer... :)

I use my flight book,and back it up with my paper log book,that I keep at home. Works good for me.

I use my flight book,and back it up with my paper log book,that I keep at home. Works good for me.

Same. Use the mobile version to create the data entry, transcribe to paper later. Web version makes computation of hours and currency items a very simple task.

And the developer is very responsive to questions and ideas.

I have used some of the others like Log Ten Pro, but keep coming back to a MyFlightBook.

I recommend Avare as a free chart/gps/airport app. I haven't used it in the air.(other than recording my tracks, I start recording and leave it in the back seat on my training flights).

I'd recommend you get that and play with it on the ground to explore charts, etc.

The price is right.

I gotta say, I love myflightbook. Simple to use, easy to log the flights. No complaints.

I'm another MyFlightBook user. It's now my primary logbook. My paper logbook only records flights and events which require someone else's signature. BTW, since this was mentioned as part of an Android app thread, it probably is worth pointing out that MyFlightBook is universal, not OS-specific.

For others, my "best of breed" for EFBs are (in alphabetical, not preference order):

• Avare (free and surprisingly good; I'd feel comfortable with it VFR or if I were using paper backups)
  • AvNav EFB (subscription; a relative newcomer, but IMO a very good interface; currently my primary electronic backup to my iPad EFB)
  • DroidEFB, formerly FlightPro, formerly Avilution (subscription, very good, but as users know, it has had some business-related issues this past year)
  • Garmin Pilot (subscription, of course)

I know a lot of folks like FlitPlan Go!. I love FltPlan for IFR planning but personally don't find the app to be stable enough for in-flight use.

Another :thumbsup: for MyFlightbook. I've tried several digital logbooks over the last several year. I'm happy with this one.

The :thumbsup:'s for MyFlightbook reminded me to send him a donation so that the developer can continue with his "This service IS AND WILL REMAIN free" ideals. I have paid more for worse products, so I don't mind helping him keep his product around for a looong time.

I've used MyFlightbook now for several years. I've got a recurring donation going because I think it's worth it (and the auto-backup feature that he throws in for donating is a nice "thank you"). I've had many conversations with the dev over that time, for bug reports (few) and feature requests (several of which the app could already do and I just didn't realize it). He's very responsive.

Wow, such great responce for MyFlightbook. The developer is responsive, I sent him a bug report on FB (welcome email had broken link to Android app), and he fixed it very quickly...

So we also have Avare on the list. Any other musts?

I just started using MyFlightbook a few months ago put all of my flights in it from way back when. I still use paper and have this as a backup. Also kind of nice to be able to query it. Finding how much you have flown in the last year for instance.

Another vote for Avare as well. It is good enough for the nice day VFR flying that I do. The plane I typically fly has a 430 in it but I tend to us the Avare as primary just because it has the sectional view.

I just started using MyFlightbook a few months ago put all of my flights in it from way back when. I still use paper and have this as a backup. Also kind of nice to be able to query it. Finding how much you have flown in the last year for instance.

Another vote for Avare as well. It is good enough for the nice day VFR flying that I do. The plane I typically fly has a 430 in it but I tend to us the Avare as primary just because it has the sectional view.

I've been using MyFlightbook recently as well. It does a good job of keeping track of different hours. Also use a paper pilot logbook as well as a paper plane logbook (for the accountant), which then has to go to a separate online logbook. By the time I'm done, I've written my flights down 4 times.

Finally started using Avare in the plane. I've used it for the past 2 years to help with the planning process. Mainly use it for sectionals while in the plane and to plan future flights while at home

Custom Excel sheet in google docs, been using it for years, works great.

Another vote for MyFlightbook. I especially like how it manages currency for you. Make sure to note what type of landings/take-offs you take. That's important for after you get your PPL if you plan on carting passengers around day or night. Of course you can calculate currency on your own, but totaling hours through pages of your logbook can be cumbersome.

What do you mean what "type" of landings?

Day or night/full stop landings, for currency...

Does everyone use MyFlightbook? I do, as well.

I'm on ForeFlight. When I went electronic four years ago, the Android selections were very bad. I'm also an Android guy, and was bummed about having to use Apple products. I knew what would happen: I'd get locked in. Now I'm locked in. I'm ForeFlight proficient. I have a Stratus 2. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with Garmin Pilot.

I'm a happy Garmin Pilot app user, but it is not free. Monthly is more expensive, but if you pay for a year up front it's only $74.99. I added the new Terrain feature, which includes a subscription for Safe Taxi (which you can choose to automatically come on when you drop below 40kts). The terrain feature is another $49.99 per year.

I'm going to start IFR training soon, so I'll have to pay more for the IFR plates, but I think the IFR low and high charts are included in the subscription I have already.

No iStuff (not the word I usually use) for me, either. I actually resent the dominance of Apple iStuff in aviation; it seems the aviation organizations such as AOPA, EAA, and many others, are in Apple's pocket, and it wouldn't surprise me if.... I should stop now on this tangent.

Thanks to those who recommended the myflightbook app. It'll be nice to record things in the field electronically, then transfer the info to my paper logbook when I get home.

Gerry

Back