Aviatin' Tunes

Laurie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguin
Those of you that listen to music while flying, what do you have on the XM, Ipod, or CD player? Those of you that don't, what do you listen to driving to the airport that gets you fired up?

Laurie said:
Those of you that listen to music while flying, what do you have on the XM...

Why XM Flight 26, of course!

On the way to the Airport:

Earth Wind and Fire's "Fantasy"

{Quote}
Every man has a place
In his heart there's a place
and the world can't erase his fantasy
Take a ride in the sky, on our ship fantasii
all your dreams will come true, right away
{endQuote}

I'm psyched every time I hear the intro.....!!

For me, I like to start every flight with Aces High by Iron Maiden.

Gets me pumped.

Howzat Heavy Metal work, with the weight and balance calculations?? :rolleyes: :dunno:

Climbing into the IAR Gustav's Holst's "Mars" often comes to mind ....:).

Dont have music in the plane, and on the way to airport i usually listen to the ATIS, if it's good i fly ,if it's bad i go home.
How's that grab you.
actually i listen to Classic Rock and Roll,or BlueGrass
Dave G

I like to listen to the Beatles when I fly. Ask Chris :)

Usually I plug into my Lightspeeds directly, but when the plane has an audio input I use that so that my unsuspecting student/friend can share the fun.

Here's what I listen to, for getting pumped doing aerobatics:

Holiday, Green Day
Pretty Vegas, INXS
Somebody Told Me, The Killers
This Is How a Heart Breaks, Rob Thomas
Hung Up (SDP Extended Vocal), Madonna
Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
Vertigo (Single Version), U2
Chains (S&M Mix), Tina Arena
All the Things She Said, t.A.T.u.
Send Your Love (Remix), Sting
Flirtin' With Disaster, Molly Hatchet

Favorite song for getting relaxed and being mellow while flying along low and slow and reflective: 10,000 Miles, Mary Chapin Carpenter

Regular flying music:

The Fray
Cold Play
10,000 Maniacs
Norah Jones
Bonnie Raitt
Jackson Browne
Seal
Switchfoot
Los Lonely Boys
Lifehouse
Dave Matthews
John Mayall
John Mayer
Santana
Van Morrison
Stevie Ray
Paul Hardcastle and other light jazz artists

Steve said:
Climbing into the IAR Gustav's Holst's "Mars" often comes to mind ....:).

Actually, "Jupiter" works for me. Brings visions of a Mercury/Atlas heading to orbit (Right Stuff, once again).

I have the iPOD plugged into the intercom, as for what plays, that depends on the passengers. If they are a little on the uneasy side, I play something like Josh Groban. Other than that its a mix of country and rock.

tonycondon said:
I like to listen to the Beatles when I fly. Ask Chris :)

Usually I plug into my Lightspeeds directly, but when the plane has an audio input I use that so that my unsuspecting student/friend can share the fun.

Yup... Quite an interesting feeling shooting a GPS to near-minimums with "Yellow Submarine" going in the background. :)

-Chris

CJones said:
Yup... Quite an interesting feeling shooting a GPS to near-minimums with "Yellow Submarine" going in the background. :)

-Chris

So in other words you have a good sink rate going?

Depend on my mood and what I'm doing. Enroute and cruising I'll lean toward Pink Floyd and Yes. Down in the weeds......it's all Metallica, Rob Zombie, and Gun's and Roses. And Van Halen.....gotta have Van Halen.

My pre-flight tune is Tragic Romance by the Stanley Brothers (old bluegrass for those curious). Not sure why that has become habit but I've been doing it for years.

Laurie said:
Those of you that listen to music while flying, what do you have on the XM, Ipod, or CD player? Those of you that don't, what do you listen to driving to the airport that gets you fired up?

In the car on the drive down it's XM Suite 62 (soul) or Watercolors
(smooth jazz). Or CDs of the same stuff. I need to get one of the
car kits for my XM receiver put in the plane so I can listen in there ..
just haven't done it yet.

What do you listen to? Roy Rogers and TRIGGER? ;-)

RT

RogerT said:
In the car on the drive down it's XM Suite 62 (soul) or Watercolors
(smooth jazz). Or CDs of the same stuff. I need to get one of the
car kits for my XM receiver put in the plane so I can listen in there ..
just haven't done it yet.

What do you listen to? Roy Rogers and TRIGGER? ;-)

RT

Ha! You will never, ever let me forget that will you? :goofy: The imagination of Babes, gotta love it.

Jimmy Buffett - the older and more obscure stuff. Strangebird, Gravity Storm, and Treetop Flyer really get me wound up to get in a helicopter, not that I needed winding, but you know.

Joe Satriani. All of Joe's stuff is great, but Surfing with the Alien (sometimes it feels that way in the gulf) and Flying in a Blue Dream are mandatory.

Rock/Metal mix of my favorites - Metallica, GnR, Rush, Black Sabbath, Boston, and AC/DC

For me it's the entire catalog of Air Supply, but only when I'm fueling up. or Air on a C string by bach.
Night Flight by Zeppelin is good.

I just downloaded some stuff - never listened to them before. We shall see.....

Yeah, Paranoid is one of my Sabbath favorites. Ozzy has one of the best voices of any lead singer ever, period.

My favorite flying music ever is the Doors. My second helo lesson was in mid-summer, it was about 90F and a blazing hot day. We took the doors off and went flying over the water down at the beach. CFI put the Doors on, we listened to a mix of "Riders on the Storm", "LA Woman", and "Waiting for the Sun". LA Woman is probably the perfect doors-off-the-helo song I have ever listened to.

Eamon took me flying out of HFD once in his Mouse and we listened to 311. We were up poking holes in the sky after a thunderstorm had blown through... great tunes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

LA Woman is one of my all-time favorites. U2 - almost anything, high-energy - again, a bunch of my all time favorites. Same with the Doobies....

I have ta be careful; low paced stuff. Ever since I got the speeding ticket in Dallas.

Officer didn't care that it was the 1812 overture with real cannons firing! Russians were finally repelling Napoleon’s troops. Didn't matter one bit to him....humpf!!

Seems every time the French advanced and the cannons fired, I would go a little faster. :lightning:

So, now, I stick with slower stuff.

Best,

Dave

wsuffa said:
LA Woman is one of my all-time favorites. U2 - almost anything, high-energy - again, a bunch of my all time favorites. Same with the Doobies....

Love the Doobie Brothers. But I'm a Parrotthead at heart.

Back