Avgas price too good to be true

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Wow, that's a huge loss considering cost is AT LEAST $3/gal, maybe even $4+

Possibly a loss on the selling of the gas, but the free publicity has the potential to be enormously profitable. Also, it seems they will have a number of corporate sponsors, so I would not be surprised if at the end of the day, they turn a profit.

Anyone have a tractor and a 10K gallon trailer you could borrow? :D
no, but nearly the same thing, I think we might make the next trip to my sister's in texas in the neighbor's 414 instead of our travel air

Well, looks like I'll be putting in a request at work to travel down to our Austin office for a week or so.

Perfect timing - my son started college there yesterday, and I can report from two visits in one week, that SkyPort gets my business on service alone.

If they want to give an amazing fuel price, well, that's gravy!

I wish them success!

Now if I could just talk an FBO here at KDTO into doing this...

I know where I'm going for gas, I don't care how far of a flight it is, that's worth it! Can someone say, "Bulk purchase??"

Good place for ME time builders to build some inexpensive time...!

Hmm. If I have to go to Mexico in October I might need to make a detour.

Perfect timing - my son started college there yesterday, and I can report from two visits in one week, that SkyPort gets my business on service alone.

If they want to give an amazing fuel price, well, that's gravy!

Holy crap, your son just started college? Now I feel old.

Sounds like they'll take a loss on every gallon, but make it up in volume.

I predict they'll kill the deal within two weeks after selling massively large volumes of Avgas. :)

Just wait 'til your pea-picker is 18 - then you'll feel really old!

Oh I know. He'll be 1 in a month and that's had enough to believe. I'm enjoying every minute.

I wonder if all of the FBOs, flight schools, repair shops, avionics shops, aircraft sales, DPAs, and everyone else who earn their living from the GA industry, if they all contributed into paying down the cost of avegas in order to get more people into the air, if they would not all end up making considerably more money as a result?

What if avegas was $1.00 per gallon everywhere, or better yet, fifty cents, all of the time? How much of a jump start do you think that would give GA? Heck, The FAA should be contributing as well, look at all the FAA jobs that GA provides to them, getting to regulate it and all.

All of those folks earning their living off of GA could simply look at the added expense as part of the cost of doing business, like rent, or utilities.

However, I have a hunch that such a plan would run contrary to the FAA overall long term goal of eliminating GA altogether in order to clear the skies for government drones.

-John

Holy crap, your son just started college? Now I feel old.

How about how it makes me feel? My "kids" are in their 30s.

Back to the original subject. Sounds like a good trade to me. I fill out a survey and you sell me gas for $1/gallon. That would sure save our club some serious coin if one of the local FBOs did something similar. :D

Well, for us fuel and airframe are both around $150/hr. So this would take hourly fuel cost to about $25, wet rate under $200/hr. Still not cheap, but a he'll of a lot cheaper.

For a 172, probably would take wet rate down to around $60/hr for a standard spam can.

I'm going to Vegas in October, planned on using Delta, I wonder if my wife would go in the 182 if I explained how much we were saving on gas??:dunno:
It's a great promotion, I'm not sure if they couldn't have gotten the same results by selling at $2.00 per gallon:dunno: I wish they were closer to me, but I'd have to stop for fuel on the way out and back!:mad2:

I'm going to Vegas in October, planned on using Delta, I wonder if my wife would go in the 182 if I explained how much we were saving on gas??:dunno:
It's a great promotion, I'm not sure if they couldn't have gotten the same results by selling at $2.00 per gallon:dunno: I wish they were closer to me, but I'd have to stop for fuel on the way out and back!:mad2:

You mean you aren't taking the Conquest? :)

I hope they have a fleet of fuel trucks. Pumping this out of a single self-serve island is gonna be asking for trouble in the Texas heat.

I can see some nearby airports telling their FBO folks to take the month as a vacation. I don't think 50R or BAZ will sell much 100LL in October.

Good place for ME time builders to build some inexpensive time...!

No kidding... had scheduled some time to do my M/E commercial ticket here in Michigan in November... I may be shifting that to October in Texas.

I gotta say.... I can't see this lasting. All it's going to take is some FBO within 150 miles or so to get ahold of a clapped out Aztec with Metco tip tanks and some Nacelle tanks (~250 gallons total) and netting at least 200 gallons per 2 hour round trip. Even with an 8 hour window that would allow 5 trips a day times 30 times 250.... 37,500 gallons of fuel sold... with about 30,000 delivered. Even figuring $50/hr maintenance (not factoring in annual since it happens regardless) your net cost per gallon delivered is $1.75.

I have several x countries planned. Hopefully I'll have instrument ticket & can use it.

Come to beautiful San Marcos (KHYI) and see all there is to offer. First stop, Redbird Skyport. The simulators will blow you away. CAF is a great visit, let Tejas AeroService show you how they paint planes, multiple BBQ venues very close and the one of Texas' top tourist attractions---the San Marcos Outlet Mall, one of the largest in the world. I already have two buds from North Carolina flying down and a couple more from around Tecas coming down.

Wouldn't you spend at least 6 hours dealing with the TSA and Delta? :confused:

You guys got me thinking last night, which is a dangerous thing for me to do. It's 6 hours flying time, plus a fuel stop, no way to go non-stop, so even a quick turn adds at least an hour for descent, landing, taxi, takeoff and climb back to altitude. It's seven and a half hours and 750-800 gallons of fuel. But, I am still thinking about it. :D

Back