Avare CDI/VDI

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
Anybody use the CDI feature on Avare? I just found this recently and haven't tried it out in the air. It seems like it is a little too large taking up much map space. Also, the VDI seems like it might be distracting, I don't usually come in at 3deg. and I think its statically set to come on at 15 miles out and show a 3deg. path to the published altitude of the airport. It'd be nice if you could turn off the VDI portion and also make the CDI smaller.

So, anybody using this care to comment?

Not sure what it's for. If VFR, I'm looking out the window whenever I'm that close to an airport. If IFR, I'm using the panel instruments. Maybe if you're trying to get into a really hard to spot airport embedded into a densely developed area? But I've been to a few and haven't had much problem finding it.

Anybody use the CDI feature on Avare? I just found this recently and haven't tried it out in the air. It seems like it is a little too large taking up much map space. Also, the VDI seems like it might be distracting, I don't usually come in at 3deg. and I think its statically set to come on at 15 miles out and show a 3deg. path to the published altitude of the airport. It'd be nice if you could turn off the VDI portion and also make the CDI smaller.

So, anybody using this care to comment?
I've goofed off with it in VMC and I have no instrument rating. That said, it seemed to match what I was seeing in the needles on standard approaches. It does take up a ton of real estate on the map view, but that's kind of irrelevant since you're no longer really using the map at that point. It's the same thing as seeing a sectional for the first time. You learn what the clutter is and your brain filters accordingly.

Not sure what it's for. If VFR, I'm looking out the window whenever I'm that close to an airport. If IFR, I'm using the panel instruments. Maybe if you're trying to get into a really hard to spot airport embedded into a densely developed area? But I've been to a few and haven't had much problem finding it.
Yea, I haven't had a need for it, just wondering if its useful at all. I've pretty much just used Avare as a map.

I've goofed off with it in VMC and I have no instrument rating. That said, it seemed to match what I was seeing in the needles on standard approaches. It does take up a ton of real estate on the map view, but that's kind of irrelevant since you're no longer really using the map at that point. It's the same thing as seeing a sectional for the first time. You learn what the clutter is and your brain filters accordingly.
I CDI'd myself driving down a long interstate with gentle S turns in it and it seems pretty sensitive/accurate.

I hate the Avare CDI. I much prefer the Naviator or Garmin Pilot HSI page.

Also don't like how Avare only shows current bearing direct to the next waypoint relative to current position instead of desired course.

Also don't like how Avare only shows current bearing direct to the next waypoint relative to current position instead of desired course.

I don't actually use it in the plane, but I like the fact that it shows where I am rather than where I should be.
That's my wife's job and she's very good at it.
Too good.
No damn off switch.

Yea, I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing the use for the magenta line's course as a numerical value if i'm not on it. If you are on it it will match. You can see the course of the leg numerically in the plan tab, again, not sure what use it is if you aren't on it.

Yea, I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing the use for the magenta line's course as a numerical value if i'm not on it. If you are on it it will match. You can see the course of the leg numerically in the plan tab, again, not sure what use it is if you aren't on it.

Every other GPS shows it.

The Avare flight plan page does NOT show courses properly either, even though the column is labeled "course". Once the plan is activated, it is still actually bearing. It's mislabeled/misapplied.

Using a bearing is silly. Every time you get off course, you are just going to converge on your destination, rather than attempt to get back on the original course? The former would be called homing, which is almost always undesirable.

Last edited:
That depends. I fly out of a Charlie located within 4 miles of a restricted area to the east. It's not uncommon even VFR to get long departure vectors. If my course is 020 and I take off 18, I'm going to get vectored easily 5-10 miles east of the field. At that point, I'm going direct rather than flying all the way back up to my charted course. In that common case, when I get the "What's your on-course heading?" Avare's bearing display is priceless. If you're not within a few degrees of your course, and not statutorily required to stay there, knowing what that course line was is of pretty limited value.

I'm going to get vectored easily 5-10 miles east of the field. At that point, I'm going direct rather than flying all the way back up to my charted course.

The correct thing to do in that scenario would be to chart a new course. Not leave your obsolete one active and fly according to the bearing display. Then you couldn't use the CDI even if you wanted to.

I don't actually use it in the plane, but I like the fact that it shows where I am rather than where I should be.
That's my wife's job and she's very good at it.
Too good.
No damn off switch.
Try the isolation switch

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Every other GPS shows it.

The Avare flight plan page does NOT show courses properly either, even though the column is labeled "course". Once the plan is activated, it is still actually bearing. It's mislabeled/misapplied.

Using a bearing is silly. Every time you get off course, you are just going to converge on your destination, rather than attempt to get back on the original course? The former would be called homing, which is almost always undesirable.
I'm not getting how the plan course numbers are wrong. Those numbers don't change like the 'next bearing' display that you don't like. They stay fixed and reflect the magnetic course from point to point, no?

I'm not getting how the plan course numbers are wrong. Those numbers don't change like the 'next bearing' display that you don't like. They stay fixed and reflect the magnetic course from point to point, no?

Nope. When you activate the plan, it goes to bearings.

That depends. I fly out of a Charlie located within 4 miles of a restricted area to the east. It's not uncommon even VFR to get long departure vectors. If my course is 020 and I take off 18, I'm going to get vectored easily 5-10 miles east of the field. At that point, I'm going direct rather than flying all the way back up to my charted course. In that common case, when I get the "What's your on-course heading?" Avare's bearing display is priceless. If you're not within a few degrees of your course, and not statutorily required to stay there, knowing what that course line was is of pretty limited value.
Also, you can drag the green dot from the previous waypoint to line up the magenta line with your new bearing.

Nope. When you activate the plan, it goes to bearings.
I see what you mean, that is WEIRD!. They don't all go to bearings immediately, just the first waypoint. Then once you pass each waypoint thereafter it shows the bearing from current position to that waypoint(and all passed waypoints). Bizarre. I guess you can always deactivate if you want to see the original courses. I'm still not sure what use those numbers are to you if you are off course, the original course is still drawn graphically on the map.

It is important to realize that none of the portable device apps. are FAA approved, for anything else other than Static charts, and only if the users verify and confirm the accuracy of the version being used.

The CDI / VDI displays were altered in size when some users requested it because on some older devices were perceived to be too small. The size is dependent on the device's resolution / screen size ratio, but in most units does look too large. The transparency, and the size, can be altered if you are willing to do your own compile, with some very easy code change. GPS data is used to get information and can be inaccurate at times. The Source can be found here: https://github.com/apps4av/avare

For the Flight Plan, if you can post the exact steps you are using to create it, it will help if you note the location you are in, if GPS is On and position acquired.
Try to position yourself at an airport, your starting / first waypoint, before you create / Activate your Flight Plan. You can use Avare IO GPS simulation and or others like MSFSX or XPlane via Avare IO interface and see if you are getting different results. It is likely that what you are seeing in the direction to the first waypoint is the heading from where you are presently located. Avare tries to give you a heading / direction from where you presently are, and connect you to your Flight plan, when activated. Yo can work around that by using the Simulation mode. Post here with follow up.

My suggestion is to try to use the apps in the same mode as if you are actually flying, at the airport location, or simulate your actual location, and Not from your present / home? location. The Navigate / Simulation mode can help, but to really test it try to do it when you are at your Real starting point.

Last edited:
I agree the cdi/vsi takes up too much screen room, and is pretty much useless for VFR flying anyway.

Regarding the bearing, I'm in the "show bearing from current position" camp, but on my last long trip using Avare, I hardly looked at the bearing (or my compass) after my initial turn on course. The map shows where I am and where I'm going relative to the magenta line, which is all I need.

It is important to realize that none of the portable device apps. are FAA approved, for anything else other than Static charts, and only if the users verify and confirm the accuracy of the version being used.

The CDI / VDI displays were altered in size when some users requested it because on some older devices were perceived to be too small. The size is dependent on the device's resolution / screen size ratio, but in most units does look too large. The transparency, and the size, can be altered if you are willing to do your own compile, with some very easy code change. GPS data is used to get information and can be inaccurate at times. The Source can be found here: https://github.com/apps4av/avare

For the Flight Plan, if you can post the exact steps you are using to create it, it will help if you note the location you are in, if GPS is On and position acquired.
Try to position yourself at an airport, your starting / first waypoint, before you create / Activate your Flight Plan. You can use Avare IO GPS simulation and or others like MSFSX or XPlane via Avare IO interface and see if you are getting different results. It is likely that what you are seeing in the direction to the first waypoint is the heading from where you are presently located. Avare tries to give you a heading / direction from you presently are, and connect you to your Flight plan, when activated. Yo can work around that by using the Simulation mode. Post here with follow up.

My suggestion is to try to use the apps in the same mode as if you are actually flying, at the airport location, or simulate your actual location, and Not from your present / home? location. The Navigate / Simulation mode can help, but to really test it try to do it when you are at your Real starting point.
I think the way it works is simple enough, and I think that was the goal. It is just bizarre that if you go to the plan view en-route, the other waypoints are given as bearings from your current location.

This is the behavior I see:
-Make a plan with 4 waypoints, including starting point
-with plan inactive, waypoint 1 changes to the current location's bearing to waypoint 1, this point should really be null as it should be the starting point, in sim mode cycling through waypoints on inactive plan only changes waypoint 1 to the course(bearing) from simulated current location to waypoint 1.

-with plan Active,
waypoint 1: bearing to 1 from current location
waypoint 2: bearing to 2 from 1
waypoint 3: bearing to 3 from 2
waypoint 4: bearing to 4 from 3

so far so good, but...

as you step through, all 'passed' waypoints become bearings from current location to that waypoint, say you're at 3 it looks like this:

waypoint 1: bearing from 3(or current position) to 1
waypoint 2: bearing from 3(or current position) to 2
waypoint 3: you are here (or bearing to here from current pos)
waypoint 4: bearing from 3 to 4

by the time you're heading to 4, all waypoints are displayed with bearings from current location to each.

Now, I don't know why anyone would be in there looking at any of this enroute VFR, I'm just saying the behavior is odd.

The correct thing to do in that scenario would be to chart a new course. Not leave your obsolete one active and fly according to the bearing display. Then you couldn't use the CDI even if you wanted to.
Actually it seems like the CDI display does bring you back to the planned course, even though the 'brg next' number is changing, the cdi will put you back on the magenta line. Otherwise, like you said it would be completely useless.

Actually it seems like the CDI display does bring you back to the planned course, even though the 'brg next' number is changing, the cdi will put you back on the magenta line. Otherwise, like you said it would be completely useless.

He said he didn't want to go back to the planned course. I believe the CDI works as expected, it's just ugly.

I understand the explanation, and to some extent the confusion. I will try to explain the way the Flight Plan / Headings work.
When a Flight Plan is Created > Saved > Activated, a Track / Flight path is painted on the chart. That does not change until you load another Destination and or Flight Plan.
After you Activate and you depart your present position the FPlan numbers / headings remain the same for your legs that are not yet flown, but the heading towards your departed position, not the Track, will point back toward your last activated waypoint. This heading / bearing to last completed waypoints, will change dynamically, constantly updated, as your acft. position changes, just in case you want to return to one of your activated waypoints.
After you complete / pass your last waypoint you will be pointed to your first waypoint in the plan.
Typically the Flight Plan waypoints, in the Planning screen on paper, or other apps., are not being updated, somewhat useless, but in this case you can use them.

It can be confusing to some users but I think it's better to make use of them, and if you want you can choose another waypoint, in your FPlan, out of sequence, or return to one already passed. To keep it short the Flight Plan screen is an Active screen, not just as a paper plan. There are tools that you can enable to change / add the Menu>Preferences>UI> Show Flight Plan Controls that will help you choose another waypoint without having to go to the FPlan screen.
Post here if you need more info, but the best way to get familiar is to play with it, in Simulation mode, Avare IO GPS, or a flight simulator like MSFSX or XPlane.

Back