AV30 & Aspen?

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
I cant decide between an aspen and a set of G5’s, I want to get rid of the vacuum but also want a backup EFIS.

Reading the STC the G5 can only be installed as a primary, not as a backup. I prefer the Aspen’s larger screen.

With the PFD pro, not the max can I install a AV30 as a backup attitude and maybe a AV20 to replace the clock so I maintain redundancy. Would that let me pull the vacuum DG/AI?

PA-32, has the trutrack installed and either the Aspen or G5 can drive it.

With dual G5s you get the redundancy of two separate units, and if the AI fails the HSI will revert to an AI display. The G5s each have a 4 hour backup battery. The Aspen is I think 30 minutes(?) I faced the same choice and went with dual G5s. Very happy to be rid of the vacuum system and the it's 12 pounds of weight. I think both Garmin and Aspen have worked through several bugs in the original releases. My early model G5s had a backup battery drain issue that was finally rectified by a recall. The updated units work great.

I have two aspens. If it weren’t for the stec 55x, and the Aspen already being installed when I bought the plane, I’d choose dual g5s in a heartbeat.

With dual g5s you can remove your vacuum assuming your turn and bank is electric, which is almost certainly true

Talk to your A&P about a g5 as a backup. Pretty sure they’d be willing to do it.

Does that apply to Dual G5 (DG/TC) and using a AV30 to replace AI? I thought the AV30 cant replace rate of turn based on what I’ve read on it. Just trying to ditch the electric gyro
Pro with an AV30 would allow you to pull the vacuum system. STC requires a backup attitude indicator, AV30 suffices. I've done other installs using an electric AI as back-up, as well.

The G5 install manual calls for keeping a turn coordinator. The AV30 install manual specifies that it can be a direct replacement for an attitude indicator. AV30 install manual does state that it can't replace a turn coordinator required for autopilot, and can't be part of an autopilot system.

The G5 install manual calls for keeping a turn coordinator. The AV30 install manual specifies that it can be a direct replacement for an attitude indicator. AV30 install manual does state that it can't replace a turn coordinator required for autopilot, and can't be part of an autopilot system.

Most autopilots that drive off the TC are single axis (wing leveler) type. Two axis (pitch and roll) are driven off the AI.

With dual G5’s or Aspen and backup AI, you’re getting into Certified Dynon HDX territory price wise, no?

7 or 10” monitor, arinc 429 module, comes with backup AI and battery backup for the display…

With dual G5’s or Aspen and backup AI, you’re getting into Certified Dynon HDX territory price wise, no?

7 or 10” monitor, arinc 429 module, comes with backup AI and battery backup for the display…
I try not to add up the prices when it comes to planes. I got to the point of accepting it costs what it costs and just write the check. I’m thinking Aspen/G5 backup and a Av30 on the copilot side so if I do some training in it I can keep a better eye on whats happening from right seat.

From what I read positioning it on the copilot side is too far to count as a backup, so it doesn’t matter what I put there, and AV30 seems less intrusive.

Plus I get to play dumb when the girlfriend asks. Didn’t tell her I bought the plane and when she found out I had to buy her some new flooring.

Talk to your A&P about a g5 as a backup. Pretty sure they’d be willing to do it.
he said he’s fine with whichever as long as it has it’s own backup power and antenna if needed.

ordered a g5 and av30 today, I figured if anything I can move the AV30 to another plane. The G5 is stc’d to the specific plane not sure if I’d still have to pay garmin the $799 for the stc if I tried to move it to another plane so it’ll likely stay.

Last edited:
In the same boat, decision wise. I’m going with the Aspen E5 as the capabilities are the same (for what I need), but the Aspen is a much simpler install (at least for my current avionics suite and the fact it will not drive an autopilot). My backup AI will be my panel mounted Area 760 synthetic vision.

In the same boat, decision wise. I’m going with the Aspen E5 as the capabilities are the same (for what I need), but the Aspen is a much simpler install (at least for my current avionics suite and the fact it will not drive an autopilot). My backup AI will be my panel mounted Area 760 synthetic vision.
The Aspen is a simpler install? That seems unlikely.

According to the aspen install document, you must retain your installed AI if you only install a single EFD. To get rid of the AI, you have to have a minimum of two EFDs, both having separate RSMs. A G5 install will be significantly simpler.

IMG_0461.jpegIMG_0462.jpeg

I have an Arrow with an IFD-540 and a TruTrak Vizion (Aerocruze 100). I'm planning on two AV-30's. They're not quite ready yet - maybe by Oshkosh 2024? The AV-30's will talk to the TruTrak via a serial connection right now - they use the Dynon Skyview interface, and will send BARO, altitude bug, and heading bug info. It's technically not approved yet, but people are flying the Dynon interface now. I spoke with someone in the Bendix/King booth and the Dynon Skyview interface to the AeroCruze 100 will be included in their next manual release, and the AV-30 interface (which is the same as the Skyview) should (hopefully) be included shortly thereafter. The other hurdle is the pending approval of the uAvionix ARINC 429 interface which would allow the AV-30 to be used as an HSI for IFR.

The only thing I don’t like about the av30 is it won’t display the GS\Loc like the G5

The only thing I don’t like about the av30 is it won’t display the GS\Loc like the G5
Yep. Once the new ARINC-429 interface gets approved, it should. It will have two ARINC-429 inputs and one output. My IFD-540 has separate ARINC-429 outputs for GPS and for ILS/VLOC. I'm assuming that the AV-30 will be able to accept both, once it is approved. I'm not holding my breath, though. I'm happily content with steam for now.

I cant decide between an aspen and a set of G5’s, I want to get rid of the vacuum but also want a backup EFIS.

Reading the STC the G5 can only be installed as a primary, not as a backup. I prefer the Aspen’s larger screen.

With the PFD pro, not the max can I install a AV30 as a backup attitude and maybe a AV20 to replace the clock so I maintain redundancy. Would that let me pull the vacuum DG/AI?

PA-32, has the trutrack installed and either the Aspen or G5 can drive it.
I have the Aspen Pro Max with the RC Allen 3 inch back up and took my vacuum system out. It's all you need as the RC has a back up battery and is cheaper. The Aspen max is reliable so I wouldn't go over board on the back up thing. You'll be fine.

Back