AV30 and standard rate turns

BiplaneCowgirl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BiplaneCowgirl
I'd like to upgrade my avionics with dual AV30s and replace my current turn coordinator with a second CDI for a new GPS. The AV30s can replace the attitude indicator and heading indicator and be primary slip indicator, but there is no rate of turn that I can find in it. So when my instrument instructor asks me to do a standard rate turn to the right (or whatever) I can be coordinated, but I can't see how to nail the rate of turn using the AV30. Any suggestions?

I'd like to upgrade my avionics with dual AV30s and replace my current turn coordinator with a second CDI for a new GPS. The AV30s can replace the attitude indicator and heading indicator and be primary slip indicator, but there is no rate of turn that I can find in it. So when my instrument instructor asks me to do a standard rate turn to the right (or whatever) I can be coordinated, but I can't see how to nail the rate of turn using the AV30. Any suggestions?
The install manual says you need to retain the turn coordinator. The DG acting as a reversionary backup AI is supplemental only.
upload_2021-6-27_10-37-43.png

Thank you for the quick reply!! I couldn't find that anywhere. Buried in the installation manual is not too obvious.

Airspeed / 10 plus half that

100 kts / 10 = 10 + (10/2) = 15 degrees bank

maybe also an av-20 would satisfy the backup requirement.

The rate of turn indicator is required for IFR. While the math is doable, I'll need the actual indicator in the panel. The AV30 doesn't do it. As far as I can tell the Garmin G4 and GI 275 don't do it either. Looks like I'll have to retain the old turn coordinator.

Both G5 and GI 275 can display a standard rate turn as well as slip indicator.

But they don’t allow for removal of the primary turn and bank or turn coordinator.

The rate of turn indicator is required for IFR. While the math is doable, I'll need the actual indicator in the panel. The AV30 doesn't do it. As far as I can tell the Garmin G4 and GI 275 don't do it either. Looks like I'll have to retain the old turn coordinator.

How much money do you want to dump into this? There are little rate of turn indicators. If you have space for a 2 incher, you could free up the 3 inch hole for a CDI. But then, I think there are 2 inch CDI’s also

But they don’t allow for removal of the primary turn and bank or turn coordinator.

2 GI-275’s do the trick. As the 275 is primary for all required indicators and with another 275 as back-up.

Frankly I never understood the FAA’s “logic” that one electric turn coordinator is OK, but one EFIS with battery back-up is not.

My plane is IFR legal and doesn't have a rate of turn indicator. :D That gets into electronic attitude backups and AC 91-75.

Back